Bad: Don't try to recover a stolen car with suspects inside. One dead.

This is a discussion on Bad: Don't try to recover a stolen car with suspects inside. One dead. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Video: Man shot, killed after finding friend’s stolen car | WTKR.com...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Ksthumper

Thread: Bad: Don't try to recover a stolen car with suspects inside. One dead.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Bad: Don't try to recover a stolen car with suspects inside. One dead.

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Moral of the story, don't confront criminals; that is what police officers are for.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

So the question is "can you shoot someone in the recovery process of a stolen car. In some states you can shoot someone in the process of a thief but what about afterwards like this. Can you use a gun to aid in recovery? Does the fact that the car was stolen and removed from the property change the use of deadly force to protect it?

When I spotted my stolen Jeep; I stopped a block away, called the Police, waited for them to arrive and pointed out the car.

They followed footprints in the snow to an apartment complex, found no one and returned. I had the keys and they drove it several blocks away. The car was loaded with many items that were not mine. They took the stolen goods and I drove off in my Jeep.
    beararms, Hopyard, sid1 and 3 others like this.

Here in NY they will release the vehicle to the owner with proper ID from the scene.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

In todays age of cell phones pretty stupid,I guess they let their testosterones overload common sense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Even armed, I would think it's not too bright to go and try to recover my own car with the criminals inside. Even if the criminals weren't around, I would still have called the police first so they can at least dust for fingerprints. Its sad that this guy lost his life when it could have been avoided with a cool head and common sense.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksthumper View Post
    When I spotted my stolen Jeep; I stopped a block away, called the Police, waited for them to arrive and pointed out the car.

They followed footprints in the snow to an apartment complex, found no one and returned. I had the keys and they drove it several blocks away. The car was loaded with many items that were not mine. They took the stolen goods and I drove off in my Jeep.
    Glad you got your Jeep Back! Rare, without lots of damage and stuff.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    This is an unfortunate lesson. I know how it feels wanting to and take care of things on your own, but something like this was definitely not one of them.

Links