LEO witnesses shooting

LEO witnesses shooting

This is a discussion on LEO witnesses shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hmmm, SYG/justifiable homicide or murder? Not a lot of info, but any guesses? Harper Woods police officer witness to man's deadly shooting...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: LEO witnesses shooting

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

LEO witnesses shooting

Hmmm, SYG/justifiable homicide or murder?

Not a lot of info, but any guesses?

Harper Woods police officer witness to man's deadly shooting
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Picked up the deadly weapon that the thug dropped, shot the no - longer - threatening robber.

It ain't self defense, in my book. But I wasn't there.

Hmmm, wonder how it will turn out?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Here is what I get from it:
    A couple is walking along, a would be robber is coming up on their 6, the cop sees this and pulls in between them, the robber drops his gun, the man who would have been attacked picks up the gun and shoots the would be robber.

Sounds nuts to me, the cop is right there, and is the reason the BG dropped the gun. I can understand the cop arresting the shooter, seems to me the shooter was way out of line.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    PERHAPS the guy being robbed did not see the LEO (maybe his back was to the LEO), so, from his POV, he sees he bad guy drop the gun and thinks that if he doesn't get it first, the BG will try to pick it back up and then maybe use it????
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

My guess is that the would-be victim had an adrenaline rush (as would anyone in that situation) and reacted instinctively. Self defense? Nope. Mitigating circumstances for manslaughter or a similar charge? Probably.

Guy no longer a threat,don't shoot,even tho different States have different laws regarding use of deadly force,you do not want to be dangling on the end of the DA's fishing pole looking at going to prison
    beararms likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

According to another (local) news outlet, the "perp" was shot in the back as he walked away from the couple. My guess is that this is going to be a problem, to say the least, for the shooter.

Harper Woods police officer witnesses deadly shooting
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

"19 yo shooter shoots Detroit man in back"

How did the police officer know the man was going to rob them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    According to another (local) news outlet, the "perp" was shot in the back as he walked away from the couple. My guess is that this is going to be a problem, to say the least, for the shooter.

Harper Woods police officer witnesses deadly shooting
    Ya think? I gotta agree. Cop saw the whole thing. That said, maybe the shooter knew the robber, and it was gang related?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Ya think? I gotta agree. Cop saw the whole thing. That said, maybe the shooter knew the robber, and it was gang related?
    It's possible but not probable. The young couple was coming from a local club and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

NRA Life

I'm thinking that unless there's something really important in this story that we don't know, the shooter is headed up the river.

A while back I was talking to a LEO and he said never risk an injury of any kind for a property crime. In this case if the report is correct there wan't even a property crime.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    A while back I was talking to a LEO and he said never risk an injury of any kind for a property crime. In this case if the report is correct there wan't even a property crime.
    Far too few details in the linked report to make that sort of conclusion. Did the dead guy point his weapon at the couple before the cop-perp interaction? If so, then there's "assault with a deadly weapon," which is clearly NOT a "propety crime." Your LEO friend had to be referring to property theft, absent any weapons displayed by the BG. A would-be carjacker points a gun in your face and demands your keys - would you call that a "property crime?" I certainly hope not, as you the victim are confronted with a deadly weapon and a person ready to use it.
    Crowbait likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

This is why people should consider arming themselves, If for only the knowledge. When people carry guns they learn their states do's and don'ts. The poor guy probably didn't even know the law and now's gonna be facing a criminal case for a lowlife scumbag that didn't deserve his time on this earth...makes me sick.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links