UT armed citizen stops murderous knife rampage 4/26/12

This is a discussion on UT armed citizen stops murderous knife rampage 4/26/12 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: UT armed citizen stops murderous knife rampage 4/26/12

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith's store.

Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith's employee Dorothy Espinoza says, "He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. You killed my people."

Espinoza says, the knife wielding man seriously injured two people. "There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms."

Then, before the suspect could find another victim - a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. "A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith's grabbed him."

By the time officers arrived the suspect had been subdued by employees and shoppers. Police had high praise for gun carrying man who ended the hysteria. Lt. Brian Purvis said, "This was a volatile situation that could have gotten worse. We can only assume from what we saw it could have gotten worse. He was definitely in the right place at the right time."

Dozens of other shoppers, who too could have become victims, are also thankful for the gun carrying man. And many, like Danylle Julian, are still in shock from the experience. "Scary actually. Really scary. Five minutes before I walk out to my car. It could have been me."

Police say right now they have no idea what caused the suspect to go on the dangerous rampage. (We will update as soon as we learn new information.)

So far, police have not released the names of the suspect, the victims or the man who pulled the gun.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

They need to run stories like that on the national news stations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

M.
    That's a story that definitely should (won't) get a lot of media coverage. Had the armed citizen not been there, many more people would've probably ended up getting hurt or worse.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    He showed a lot of restraint. I wonder if he didn't want the legal and emotional troubles of shooting someone? I think I would have just dropped him after he started stabbing random people. Or I guess maybe he didn't have a clear backdrop to shoot. Who knows, I would love to see an interview with this guy on the national news stations.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member
    Good to see.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    He showed a lot of restraint. I wonder if he didn't want the legal and emotional troubles of shooting someone? I think I would have just dropped him after he started stabbing random people. Or I guess maybe he didn't have a clear backdrop to shoot. Who knows, I would love to see an interview with this guy on the national news stations.
    When it comes to giving warnings in life and death situations I have to agree with your thoughts. It worked out well in this case but so many things could go wrong by doing it. I do not know his reasoning either but do know that giving that warning could increase the danger to himself. Possibly allow the bad guy to take evasive action making for a more difficult shot.
    I'm glad he did what he did as it prevented a loss of life. Just can't help but think what might go wrong by giving warning and in effect allowing the bad guy to alter his attack.

Michael

Actions that shock the conscience. Too bad it is not plastered on the news like the bad news is.
    Bark'n, tkruf and stancehold like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Actions that shock the conscience. Too bad it is not plastered on the news like the bad news is.
    Sounds like Rule #14 of Gabe Suarez's Rules for Gunmen.

The guy did the right thing getting involved in that situation. I don't think I can fault him for issuing a challenge before shooting him. It just really depends on the totality of the circumstances.

No doubt if he had a gun and was shooting people, I would have dropped him without uttering a word. But a knife is a contact weapon putting him in direct contract with those he was attacking. I don't know how close innocent bystanders were to the man, and I don't know how far away the ccw permit holder was. So, I certainly can't fault him for issuing a challenge. In this case, It kept him from having to shoot the guy.

I'm not anxious to jump into the legal quagmire of a post shooting incident. There are definitely times when issuing a challenge to the bad guy is an appropriate action to take. It's not required, but if I can avoid killing a person, I will. As far as emotions go, it's not going to bother me as long as it's a legally justified shoot. Dealing with death and dying is just an ordinary part of my occupation. Again, if it's justified, I'm not going to have an issue with it.
    tkruf, stancehold and gunthorp like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    No guys, the one that stopped the mass murder must have been "living in a dream world" right?!?!?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I read this article and made sure I posted it on my FB page. Fortunately here in Texas, most of my "Friends" are all for 2nd Amendment rights. It is up to us, to make sure people see the good things that come from concealed carry. Lord knows the biased media will NOT do their job and legitimately report the news!

Granted you do not have to tell them to drop it. However with witnesses, that can say " he just shot him" , I would do the same for 2 reasons. Alert bystanders I am going to shoot (duck) and make it clear I " gave them a chance to drop it". The drop it and shooting can be VERY close to the same time.

Glad he was there. Don't have enough details about bystanders, etc. Good that it worked out without the guy not shooting the BG. I hope I'm never in that situation, and I can't armchair quarterback it, but I'm not so sure about giving a verbal challenge.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Here's an update with more info on the attacker: Suspect in stabbing at Smith's has long criminal history | Deseret News

Unfortunately it includes no further details on the "armed citizen" other than that he was a 47 year old man.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    ....I wonder if he didn't want the legal and emotional troubles of shooting someone? .....Or I guess maybe he didn't have a clear backdrop to shoot....
    Mission accomplished with no casualties.

More of these "Good" reports of law abiding citizens using a concealed firearm to thwart a crime should be in the national spot light.
    stancehold and MleeC like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links