Bad: Some family members ordered to strip.

This is a discussion on Bad: Some family members ordered to strip. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Worse: Gun held to 5 year old girl's neck and stomach. Home invasion story here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bad: Some family members ordered to strip.

Worse: Gun held to 5 year old girl's neck and stomach.

Home invasion story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Do you carry at home?

Yup!

Why?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    MisterAvis, tkruf, 8th ID and 1 others like this.

M.
    Operated a tattoo parlor from the home.

Not saying definitely related as there are invasions every day, but I never do business dealing that require strangers coming to my house. The less people that know where you live the better.
    Aiko and tacmansgirl like this.

Keep the doors locked when you're at home!
    8th ID and tkruf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Keep the doors locked when you're at home!
    Yep, and carry and have a dog that will warn and protect.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Man, if that ever happens to me, I'm going to look pretty silly wearing just my belt, mag pouch, rig and 40c.

p.s. Now that's how you OC!
    goldshellback likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

If I lived in a neighborhood where people had a "Beware of Dog" sign tacked to their mailbox post and operated a tattoo parlor out of their house, I'd move.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

they acted so shocked that they held a gun to a kids head... its a robbery; the punks are going to do what they think to get some money

I am forever telling my teenager to close and lock doors. He still forgets daily. I have told him about the crimes that happen when people simply leave doors open or unlocked. It makes no difference. He keeps forgetting. He also lies about checking.

Now I do regular security checks. I find doors open almost every time. I have to check closely since he sometimes closes the door part way and the dead bolt will be pushing on the door frame. It will look locked when it is not even closed.

A few weeks ago, a neighbor was murdered in his home during a home invasion. It did not inspire him to remember.

When I am home, I carry my Glock 27 or Glock 20 with 2 extra magazines. Sometimes, if I am lightly dressed, I may carry my LCR with a couple speed loaders in a SmartCarry holster. Getting undressed would make for a quicker draw.

These home invasions are still very rare. We also have to watch for feral dogs and other critters. Where I live, there are several predators that may go after children or small animals. Lately mountain lions have been spotted and verified closer to our home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    If I lived in a neighborhood where people had a "Beware of Dog" sign tacked to their mailbox post and operated a tattoo parlor out of their house, I'd move.
    What if they were operating a gun shop or a beauty parlor out of their homes? Would you move then? I have both those businesses operating out of homes in my area and they are perfectly legal. A tattoo shop while I do not care for the tattoos would be perfectly legal as well.
    If the business that they are running out of their home is legal they should not be blamed for the acts of criminals. Do you blame the Bankers for attracting bank robbers?

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    I am forever telling my teenager to close and lock doors. He still forgets daily. I have told him about the crimes that happen when people simply leave doors open or unlocked. It makes no difference. He keeps forgetting. He also lies about checking.

Now I do regular security checks. I find doors open almost every time. I have to check closely since he sometimes closes the door part way and the dead bolt will be pushing on the door frame. It will look locked when it is not even closed.

A few weeks ago, a neighbor was murdered in his home during a home invasion. It did not inspire him to remember.

When I am home, I carry my Glock 27 or Glock 20 with 2 extra magazines. Sometimes, if I am lightly dressed, I may carry my LCR with a couple speed loaders in a SmartCarry holster. Getting undressed would make for a quicker draw.

These home invasions are still very rare. We also have to watch for feral dogs and other critters. Where I live, there are several predators that may go after children or small animals. Lately mountain lions have been spotted and verified closer to our home.
    Rejoice. You have a normal teen age kiddo who knows you know nothing.

Mourn. It doesn't get better till they are 35 and have kids of their own.
    Then, the issues just get more expensive and more aggravating. Start saving now.

Stop nagging him about it. It makes it worse.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Keep doors lock and stay armed while at home, and this is advice for great neighborhoods!
    Hopyard, 8th ID and garyacman like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    What if they were operating a gun shop or a beauty parlor out of their homes? Would you move then? I have both those businesses operating out of homes in my area and they are perfectly legal. A tattoo shop while I do not care for the tattoos would be perfectly legal as well.
    If the business that they are running out of their home is legal they should not be blamed for the acts of criminals. Do you blame the Bankers for attracting bank robbers?

Michael

^I think what he was getting at,^^^^^^^^

was that if you operate a business out of a home, and have people in and out of YOUR living space, you cannot control who has access to the inner workings/layout of YOUR private abode.

They can see the weak link, know to a certain degree who is there, who should be there etc etc etc.
    If I were to do anything out of my residence, it would be, ideally a separate entrance/bldg. for which to conduct the business.
    This is one of the pitfalls of having a business out of the home, where people of unknown character,(good/bad or indifferent)
    knowing your personal side.
    And it was only a possibility that it was someone like that.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The ONLY place I do not carry is in the shower, but my pistol is VERY close. Our doors are always locked, always. I know this doesn't prevent an entry, but it could slow the BG's down a few seconds. I have 16 rounds, at least, on me at all times. And hopefully this will take care of it, and if not, I have pretty quick access to a Mossberg 500 and a few other options!!!

What gets me is that people are always surprised that this happens in their neighborhood. I don't know about where you live, but in my city, it happens everywhere!! I live in what I consider a nice part of town, but my wife was approached while jogging one morning by a guy in a car telling her what he wanted to do to her...
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Scottie: change to deadlocks to the springloaded kind and take away his keys for awhile . It might get his attention.

Mlr: I understand even soccer moms get tattoos these days, my cousin is an ER doc with tattoos down to her elbows, but the typical tatted up guys and gals ain't the same clientele as those associated with gun and beauty shops. Profiling may not be the "official" SOP for gov't agencies, but it's common sense and effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links