LEOs shooting dogs

This is a discussion on LEOs shooting dogs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by mlr1m I value my life as well. Would the standards you believe justify a LEO killing a dog apply to an ordinary ...

View Poll Results: LEO- have you had formal training on dealing with pets?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 26.67%
  • No

11 73.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: LEOs shooting dogs

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I value my life as well. Would the standards you believe justify a LEO killing a dog apply to an ordinary citizen? If a LEO is justified to shoot a dog that appears dangerous and is barking at him shouldn't I be justified to do the same? I value my life just as much as they value theirs.

Don't get me wrong I have not problem with killing an animal that poses a threat. My point is that LEO's and private citizens should be held to the same standards. If a private citizen had killed that dog under those same conditions would they be charged with a crime?

Michael
    Police is often held at a higher standard vs private citizens.

In fact, if the same thing happen to a citizen, I'm sure that it wouldn't have even made the news......
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I've had to shoot a dog before, and it actually bothered me more than shooting a BG. Thats about all I got to say about that.
    ArkhmAsylm and garyacman like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I really love my two dogs. Blue Tick Hound and a Basset Hound. I am very protective of them. Basset made a "break" out the front door and I hobbled around after her for 20 min. without phone, leash or cane. From the safety of the house or fenced in backyard, they bark like the "hounds from hell", but if confronted, they run to "mommy and daddy" for protection. They are alarms, not protectors. I would be heart broken if anyone thought they had to shoot them. Lucky for us we live in a small town where LEO and EMS know them for the harmless noise makers they are. This means a bunch to me.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    My dog sounds tough, and probably threatening, and when she plays it sounds like she is growling. I would definitly be concerned for her because she "attacks" anyone that comes through our front door...... with lots of kisses. She is a great alarm, because she barks like crazy when anyone is around the house, but I could see her "charging" a LEO who came in to jump on him and get attention, being misinterpreted as attacking an intruder. It would be a very sad day if it happened, but I can't say I would blame an officer. I would most definitly seek damages from the agency though if they didn't have a really good reason for busting though my door.
    Walk softly ...

RAL
    Most police officers do not have training in how to deal with dogs and many do not know how to read a dog’s body language.

There is an excellent organization called the National Canine Research Council (National Canine Research Council) that has an wonderful 52 page manual available for a free download (http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...nters_NCRC.pdf). I have read the manual and learned a lot. This manual is a great resource for law enforcement officers and the people interested in learning how to deal with dangerous dogs and other unexpected encounters with canines.

There are many alternatives to shooting the dog but all begin with education.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links