LEOs shooting dogs

LEOs shooting dogs

This is a discussion on LEOs shooting dogs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Below is an article about the high frequency of LEO's firing on family dogs. Though most of us would agree that the drug dealer with ...

View Poll Results: LEO- have you had formal training on dealing with pets?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 26.67%
  • No

11 73.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: LEOs shooting dogs

Thumbs down LEOs shooting dogs

Below is an article about the high frequency of LEO's firing on family dogs. Though most of us would agree that the drug dealer with trained guard dogs is a justifiable shoot, many dog shoots are overzealous and frankly cowardly. But if you read the article below, there are a lot of cases in which woosie (I'd prefer to use another term but don't want to get in trouble) LEO fire on "threatening" dogs.

Yes, some cases may justify shooting a family pet but a lot of them involve overly aggressive LEO who resort to deadly force much too easily rather than employing less lethal methods or even retreating. Many departments or agencies don't train their LEO in tactics to deal with dogs which one would think would be necessary with the frequency with which LEO come into contact with dogs. USPS workers conduct 2 hour training sessions every year on how to interact with pets, and have low incident rates of severe dog attacks.

I believe another contributing factor is the militarization of our nation's police forces which has led to ultra aggressive tactics even when dealing with what one may call average people.

Cop Shoots Dog: Untrained Officers Commit 'Puppycide' (PHOTOS)

If you're LEO or in a career that comes into contact with animals on their turf on a regular basis please vote in the poll. If you're an average Joe like myself who doesn't have an expected frequency of interacting with dogs while on the job please abstain from voting.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Moderator
    Having been there and done that, let me state that this will NOT become an LEO hates dogs thread.

I have a mind to close it now as a preemptive strike, but I will let it stand as long as it stays civil.

Warning to all that post...think before you post. If in doubt as to if it would fly or not, dont do it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That is a sad story. I have a very black, very big german shepard for the specific reason to protect my family when I am not home. I am sure that if a LEO showed up at my house a my dog was loose, my dog would be shot. He is very territorial and often scares the hell out of anyone the knocks on our door. With that said, it is MY RESPONSIBILITY to make sure the dog in under my control AT ALL TIMES. Either verbally or physically.

I would imagine it's most always the only viable option they have.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Disagree. Of course every situation is different. But I would not venture to say "most always".
    atctimmy likes this.

I had no training regarding pets when I was active LEO, but I shot one dog in 14+ years, and that was after it had attacked the wife, then the husband when he got home, then they called us. I have had a dog since I was about 2 years old, and have been around them all my life, I've only run into about 3 really dangerous dogs in my entire life so far, but I didn't shoot the other two.
    atctimmy and garyacman like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I would say not say that it is the only viable option. Unless by viable you mean quickest and easiest. I do have to admit that if I knew I could get away with it there are a number of animals I might have shot in my lifetime. Ones that while not directly attacking did follow me in a threatening manner. It would have been much easier for me to shoot them and not have to worry about them anymore.

Michael

I consider my dogs as family. I'll protect them as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I consider my dogs as family. I'll protect them as such.
    You can consider them whatever you want. In the eyes of the law they are simple property and probably not considered a just reason for claiming self-defense or protection of others. Now if your State allows deadly force in protection of property, fire away.

Michael
    Secret Spuk likes this.

In my experience in Iraq and Afganistan they were shot for numerous reasons,disease,rabid,and yes because they were used as early warning devices.Now as a LEO,I have not shot anyones dog,as I am a Dog Lover,G.Sheperds(Adolf,Vltor)But,I have seen numerous dogs sprayed and tased,and this usually works,but I do know of some having to be dispatched,and there is an investigation just as if it were a person.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    In my experience in Iraq and Afganistan they were shot for numerous reasons,disease,rabid,and yes because they were used as early warning devices.Now as a LEO,I have not shot anyones dog,as I am a Dog Lover,G.Sheperds(Adolf,Vltor)But,I have seen numerous dogs sprayed and tased,and this usually works,but I do know of some having to be dispatched,and there is an investigation just as if it were a person.
    Bit off topic maybe,but. Isn't there a investigation anytime a weapon is discharged regardless of hitting a person, dog, or just into the ground? Bring this up because I have friends that think an officer can just fire his weapon at will with no paper work or investigation if nothing is harmed as a result of it. Might be places like that but not where I'm at.

Michael
    Secret Spuk likes this.

this topic should be shut down here. it has no good ending and this is something that can't be corrected here.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I can understand if the dog is attacking, or being obviously aggressive. Not territorial- aggressive. If it's just because they 'think' it is/could be, that's another story entirely.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    this topic should be shut down here. it has no good ending and this is something that can't be corrected here.
    The same could be said for a majority of threads here on the forum
    Badey and Secret Spuk like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The same could be said for a majority of threads here on the forum

I disagree; when it comes to officers shooting animals that is a safety call and need to be dealt with on a local level. How many people/dog attacks have we tabled on this site? To many to list so why is an officer any different. To ask a bunch of dog lover if it’s ok to do so only has one outcome... hate. I have three dogs and I am very loyal to them but they are like any animal-unpredictable to the unknown person

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links