Woman shoots dog

This is a discussion on Woman shoots dog within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In a nutshell, a woman is attacked by a dog. Dog loses. http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=4537187...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman shoots dog

Woman shoots dog

In a nutshell, a woman is attacked by a dog. Dog loses.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=4537187

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    It would appear she had ample justification.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    I am very glad the author added this:
    A Staffordshire terrier looks very similar to a pit bull. The dogs can weigh up to 80 pounds. They are often used as guard dogs, although if socialized early, Staffordshire terriers can be very gentle pets.
    I hate it when the media portrays one breed of dog as "vicious" or "dangerous". Dogs are just like people, some are good some are bad, and the reason (most times, barring any medical condition) is upbringing, socialization, and environment. I have seen fierce cocker spaniels and golden retrievers and have seen pit bulls that are calm and gentile.
    The idea that it is illegal to own a pit bull in some cities because they are dangerous is absurd.
    Sorry for the rant.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Her neighbor understands she had to kill the dog to protect herself.
    That's one very understanding neighbor. 90% aren't that enlightened.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One has to be aware of the small chance of any dog "going primal". Some breeds are more prone to this than others, but it is there in the code.

They generally have "canine teeth" don't they? They're not for tearing up a can full of Beneful! The primal response could be triggered by fear, territorial infringement or any number of things. But it happens.

I remember being "attacked" by a Chihuahua, and fortunately he never took me down, , so only had a scratch or two on my ankle. The only other time I was attacked by a dog it was a largish version of Benji, and he was a foundling that exhibited a bit of mental damage, as from abuse. When friend driving a pickup with a leaky muffler showed up, he freaked, I was the first one he found, and luckily I was cleaning the grilles had a wooden handled BBQ brush in hand. When he got over his headache, I don't think he even remembered me in that scene.

That dog, however, behaved exactly like the Chihuahua, in that it's pace of barking was way beyond warning or keep away. It was not flashing teeth, it was trying to chomp!

If two big dogs came at me on a trail in that agressive mode, and a shot to the ground didn't run them off, then subsequent shots would be completely purposeful.

Because I also believe that once a dog goes primal toward a human, it will be much more likely to happen again with that animal.

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

JD
    Administrator
    Teaches that dog to bring a milkbone to a gunfight!

Woman uses 2 arms to defeat Bad Guy

I tried to find out how to start a new thread, and failed. I am sure it is easy.

But here is a new post.

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- A nurse returning from work discovered an intruder armed with a hammer in her home and strangled him with her bare hands, police said.

Susan Kuhnhausen, 51, ran to a neighbor's house after the confrontation Wednesday night. Police found the body of Edward Dalton Haffey 59, a convicted felon with a long police record.

Police said there was no obvious sign of forced entry at the house when Kuhnhausen, an emergency room nurse at Providence Portland Medical Center, got home from work shortly after 6 p.m.

Under Oregon law people can use reasonable deadly force when defending themselves against an intruder or burglar in their homes. Kuhnhausen was treated and released for minor injuries at Providence.

Haffey, about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, had convictions including conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, robbery, drug charges and possession of burglary tools. Neighbors said Kuhnhausen's size -- 5-foot-7 and 260 pounds -- may have given her an advantage.

"Everyone that I've talked to says 'Hurray for Susan,' said neighbor Annie Warnock, who called 911.

"You didn't need to calm her. She's an emergency room nurse. She's used to dealing with crisis."

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Hmmm....don't think I would want to upset that woman!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

My guess is that you guys defending these fighting dogs have never been on the recieving end of a Pitbull attack!!!

I have and it is the main reason that I not only purchased my second pistol but also my CCW!! I have had other dogs come after me, but I have never seen anything like the pit that got ahold of my Boxer in my Mothers front yard! I was beating that dog as hard as I could and it would not back off!! It was one of the scarriest things i have ever seen! Not to mention it cost me over 300.00 for vet bills t5o close up the wounds on my dog.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    I am very glad the author added this:

I hate it when the media portrays one breed of dog as "vicious" or "dangerous". Dogs are just like people, some are good some are bad, and the reason (most times, barring any medical condition) is upbringing, socialization, and environment. I have seen fierce cocker spaniels and golden retrievers and have seen pit bulls that are calm and gentile.
    The idea that it is illegal to own a pit bull in some cities because they are dangerous is absurd.
    Sorry for the rant.
    Great post PolarBear! I too hate hearing about ignorant breed specific generalizations.

PS- Aggression was NEVER bred into these "fighting dogs" even when it was at its peak in the late 1800's and into the 1900's.

Any dog showing aggression towards humans is due to a lack of proper training, not due to their "fighting" history.

Heres some great info:

"Stubby was the unofficial mascot of the 102nd Infantry Division and was credited with saving the lives of several of his human comrades. For his valiant service, Stubby won several medals and was even awarded the rank of sergeant! He came home from the war to a hero's welcome and went on to become the mascot for Georgetown University."
    Last edited by Dihappy; September 11th, 2006 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    My guess is that you guys defending these fighting dogs have never been on the recieving end of a Pitbull attack!!!

I have and it is the main reason that I not only purchased my second pistol but also my CCW!! I have had other dogs come after me, but I have never seen anything like the pit that got ahold of my Boxer in my Mothers front yard! I was beating that dog as hard as I could and it would not back off!! It was one of the scarriest things i have ever seen! Not to mention it cost me over 300.00 for vet bills t5o close up the wounds on my dog.

Chris
    Reminds me of the Wire-Haired Terrier i beat till i was tired when it clamped on my girlfriends cat. He acted like i wasnt even there.

I Love Dogs...

and hate to see one hurt...they work hard in their duties to 'protect and serve'.
    Lou May had no choice...she did the right thing...a shame though, at least the owner did understand...that's a plus.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Dihappy View Post
    Any dog showing aggression towards humans is due to a lack of proper training, not due to their "fighting" history.
    Perhaps, but any large dog, if it goes "primal" is a mortal danger to humans in its vicinity. In today's typical subdivisions with postage-stamp lots, dogs like this really have no place.

If a Chihuahua goes nutso and attacks a human, it's probably not going to do much damage before it's severely injured with a backhand swipe. This isn't true for a pit bull.

In my mind, having a dog like this is much worse than having any kind of dangerous weapons or anything of the sort in your home. The only way an inanimate object can hurt a human is if another human uses it against them, either accidentally or intentionally. With proper safety procedures, accidents are very rare. But dogs aren't inanimate, and have minds of their own. And some breeds, such as pit bulls, seem to be especially stupid.

Personally, I think that dog owners should be completely liable for their dogs' actions, so that the dogs' actions are presumed to be guided by the owners. That way, if a dog kills a person, the dog's owner should be prosecuted for murder. If a dog mauls a person, that owner should be prosecuted for attempted murder. And so on.

The way it is now, if I pull my gun out and shoot someone, I'll be prosecuted for murder and go to prison (or the chair). But if my dog mauls someone and kills them, I face no charges at all it seems, except maybe a civil lawsuit. This is crap.

China's been doing some great things lately because of their problems with dogs, such as hacking them to death in front of their owners. Sounds horrible, but when the general populace has shown themselves to be completely incapable of bearing the responsibility of owning a large dog, these things happen.

Just goes to show that you should always be ready for the unexpected. Good doggie!
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by news article
    .A Staffordshire terrier looks very similar to a pit bull. The dogs can weigh up to 80 pounds. They are often used as guard dogs, although if socialized early, Staffordshire terriers can be very gentle pets.
    Or they can rip your throat out. Animals are animals. You can never be absolutely certain what one might do.

I'm glad she killed it before it got a hold of somebody's kid.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links