Shooting at shoplifters

This is a discussion on Shooting at shoplifters within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I can understand the old guy's frustration, but he sure made a poor decision. Employee faces charges after shooting at fleeing shoplifter Knoxville News ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shooting at shoplifters

Shooting at shoplifters

I can understand the old guy's frustration, but he sure made a poor decision.

Employee faces charges after shooting at fleeing shoplifter Knoxville News Sentinel
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I can understand the old guy's frustration, but he sure made a poor decision.

Employee faces charges after shooting at fleeing shoplifter Knoxville News Sentinel
    Same here, now if someone could invent a pop-up trip wire along the lines of the spike strips they use to stop cars that would be handy against shoplifters.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Same here, now if someone could invent a pop-up trip wire along the lines of the spike strips they use to stop cars that would be handy against shoplifters.
    Heh... Hehehe.

I just pictured a memory of a young teen on those tennis shoes with wheels zipping through the mall. One of the wheels failed and the rubber caught the not-so-recently-waxed floor. He faceplanted before he knew what was happening.

Oh to do that to a shoplifter.....
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Don't understand why the media finds it necessary to reveal the name of the witness who followed the get-a-way Jeep and gave the license number to the police, especially with them still being on the loose and all.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Some people should not own guns

The store needs better security than an old fart with a gun (I can say old fart, says so on my AARP card). The perp left through a side entrance. Side entrance shouldn't be an easy exit... Cameras should be placed outside and in...

The old guy broke the law... I feel his pain.. but now, he might never get a permit... doesn't need one in the store anyway. But, he should have one. And he needs to learn not to fire on fleeing, unarmed perps (he has to wait until they are on top of him pounding his head into the cement).
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
    That would be violent felons. He ain't one of those....
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Shooting at fleeing suspects will get you in big legal trouble, no matter the situation. I understand
    that people are frustrated with crime but a little more self control needs to be shown. This person
    has just made his life much more miserable trying to take revenge on a petty thief. If it were up
    to me and I wrote the laws, I would say fire away but we can't write our own laws and execute
    our own justice.
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    That would be violent felons. He ain't one of those....
    Yeah, but idiot (store owner) did break a few laws and a whole bunch of gun safety protocols:
    Police arrested Williams, who is now charged with reckless endangerment and unlawful possession of a weapon, according to Knoxville Police Department spokesman Darrell DeBusk. Williams does not have a carry permit for the unidentified firearm.
    And as far as NYMike's sentiment
    I agree 100 percent. But do not take that to mean that I would ban guns to law abiding citizens. It is just an opinion like "some folks should not have kids". Sometimes folks voice an opinion with out necessaryily meaning the Constitution should be changed.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yeah, but idiot (store owner) did break a few laws and a whole bunch of gun safety protocols:

And as far as NYMike's sentiment

I agree 100 percent. But do not take that to mean that I would ban guns to law abiding citizens. It is just an opinion like "some folks should not have kids". Sometimes folks voice an opinion with out necessaryily meaning the Constitution should be changed.
    How would you feel if someone, or a bunch of someones, said in their opinion you shouldn't own guns?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    No argument that what the employee did was dumb and wrong.

However, this is why there are judges to interpret the intent of the law and assign appropriate rulings.

Unfortunately, too often I see a pattern where the full weight of the law is brought against the victim and leniency is applied to the perp. It's as though there is a mindset where the victim, being a law-abiding citizen should know better, but well, that's just the kind of behavior to be expected from the perp; They (a) came from a bad upbringing, (b) just trying to provide for their family (c) {fill in excuse here}.

Assuming that the shop keeper fully realizes what an incredibly dangerous and dumb thing he did, I hope they go easy on him.
    Hopyard and ksholder like this.

Anyone still think warning shots are a good idea? The employee was stupid......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

there is a reason you put the counter near the front door

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    How would you feel if someone, or a bunch of someones, said in their opinion you shouldn't own guns?
    I thought I stated it pretty well. I think that some folks should not have guns just like some folks should not have kids. I made it clear that I would never advocate changing the Constitution or prohibiting folks from having guns if they meet the legal requirements. It is an opinion. That is all. Not a legal one. You have never seen or heard of a person and that thought has not run through your head "dang. what an idiot, he should not have a gun"

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    there is a reason you put the counter near the front door
    So they can escape out the side door?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links