Conway 14-year-old uses shotgun to scare off armed intruders

This is a discussion on Conway 14-year-old uses shotgun to scare off armed intruders within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was more afraid of what my Dad would do to me if he caught me messing around with the guns than the damage the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Conway 14-year-old uses shotgun to scare off armed intruders

Distinguished Member
    I was more afraid of what my Dad would do to me if he caught me messing around with the guns than the damage the guns could do. Not complaining about my Dad either. I knew it was serious business.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Wow, guess my parents were sketchy too...

I had an old Sears and Roebuck 12ga, Marlin 60, various bb and pellet guns, and knives in my room from the time I was 8 or so.

How did I ever make it out of that house alive?

Oh yeah, responsible parents, that's right!
    I don't recall saying I was against it, I said it was sketchy. Just because you have responsible parents doesn't mean YOU are responsible (when will people learn this?). I've also had knives and other things since I was very little. I've also seen young kids (with "responsible" parents) abuse their weapons. I'm just saying, I would not feel comfortable with it, if you disagree you disagree, but don't try the "I did and I'm alive so it's OK for everybody" card.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I don't recall saying I was against it, I said it was sketchy. Just because you have responsible parents doesn't mean YOU are responsible (when will people learn this?). I've also had knives and other things since I was very little. I've also seen young kids (with "responsible" parents) abuse their weapons. I'm just saying, I would not feel comfortable with it, if you disagree you disagree, but don't try the "I did and I'm alive so it's OK for everybody" card.
    Ok; as long as you don't play the "all parents who allow their kids to keep firearms in their rooms are sketchy" card...

Too much comes across the wrong way in print when we are not all English majors; I'm not picking on you Burns.

At least not seriously!

But I could not agree more that responsible parents do not make responsible kids in all cases.

Worst I've ever done is recieved traffic tickets and my little bro has given up almost 1/3 of his life to the "system".

Good points to ponder I guess.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Ok; as long as you don't play the "all parents who allow their kids to keep firearms in their rooms are sketchy" card...

I'm all for parents teaching their kids about guns at a young age. It's just that life is very hard at that age, not only that but most kids don't know how to handle that type of stress from school and everything. I think if you have a close relationship with your child there shouldn't be much to worry about. There was a guy that was in my grade in high school whos dad died, a few days later the 17 year old drove his truck to a empty road, put a 12 gauge to his head and killed himself. The truth is, there is no way of definitely knowing who is or isn't going to abuse their weapons. But yeah I do agree with you, some kids are very responsible at a young age. glad we cleared that up :D stay safe.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    That would depend on the 14 year old. There are many (like this kid) who are perfectly capable and responsible enough. I had a 410 in my room from about the time I was 11. I had access to the 12 gauge, the .25-35 and both the .22 lr and ammunition for all. I also knew the consequences if I touched/used them inappropriately or without need.
    What he said^^^^
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

HCF
    I was raised around guns, hunting, fishing etc had knives, bb gun, sling shot and access to guns. I have always had great respect for guns etc and was afraid of Dad if I didn't or abused my privileges. Glad the boy is ok and didn't have to make a drastic decision.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    At a young age we were taught gun safety, gun use and how to clean them. So we kids always had our guns in our closet, but nothing loaded allowed in the house.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Yeah, at 14 I had my shotgun, .270, and several .22's in my room during hunting season and when they wern't in my room I had complete access to all the firearms in the house. By 14 I had earned the level of trust. The fear of letting my dad down and losing his trust was far worse that the fear of his whopping my tail.

Having said that, I grew up in a place where it was no big deal...... even expected...... to not only know the rules of handeling guns but to be trusted with that responsability.

This young man did good and honered his family in a way no young man should have to, but he steped up when called on and took care of bidness.
    phreddy and ccman like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Great outcome, kid was courageous but ignorant; in the end he was extremely lucky. He probably had 2 shots against 2 opponents with 12 shots. There's a whole lot of ways this could've gone really, really wrong for him and a very limited number of favorable outcomes in his favor - glad one of them was the actual outcome.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I wouldn't want a 14 year old to have a shotgun in his bedroom (yes, I'm assuming it was in his bedroom if it's his and he clearly has easy access to it)... I think that's pretty sketchy. Glad he's OK.
    I had long arms hanging on my bedroom wall from the age of 12 on. My .22 rifle plus my dad's 12 gauge and 8mm Mauser. Never abused any of them. I spent many a morning in the nearby creek bed bow hunting ground squirrels and often wished I could use my .22 but I knew it was neither safe nor legal; besides, my dad would kill me!
    ep1953 likes this.

No mention of the father in the article so I'm thinking it's a single mom and her 14YO son with maybe a sibling or two.

If that's the case, what mom needs to get her son is a nice short barrel shotgun with 00 buck and some good home defense training. Sounds like he is the man of the house by default and in this case, with a little luck, did a good job.

In addition, mom should get her own firearms and the training to go with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links