Good: 13-year old suspect killed during robbery

This is a discussion on Good: 13-year old suspect killed during robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm going to agree with everyone who has no sympathy for this 13 year old. If someone approached my wife and I with a gun ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Good: 13-year old suspect killed during robbery

I'm going to agree with everyone who has no sympathy for this 13 year old. If someone approached my wife and I with a gun pointed at me intending to rob me it doesn't matter if the person is 13, 20, 40 or 80. Haven't you heard the phrase "Guns don't kill people, people kill people?" This is absolutely true! If this kid came up to me I'd drop him just like I would if it was someone 3x his age. A gun is a gun.. doesn't matter how old the hands are holding it. He obviously intended to commit a crime and knew it was wrong. Good for the intended victim for having the means to defend him and his wife. Glad they were not hurt.
    Bark'n, gigamortis and JDE101 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    Wonder how he pulled off the shot if the BG already had a gun pointed at him.
    Just from the way I understood the article I assumed the intended victims were still in their vehicle.
    BPD Sgt. Johnny Williams said the teen suspect approached a couple as they pulled into their home at the gated Skyview Condominiums in the 400 block of Skyview Drive around 11:10pm. Friday, April 27. Skyview Drive is off Robert Jemison Road. The suspect had a T-shirt over his face like a bandana and was holding a cocked and loaded gun, Williams said.

Police say the would-be robber approached the male occupant of the car and told him to "Get out and give it up." The man had his own gun in the car and shot the teenager. The teen ran a few feet, collapsed and died at the scene, Williams said.
    Depending on how and where he carried his weapon in the car it might be very easy to bring a gun to bear without it being seen until the last fatal moment.

This is one reason I would like to have another option besides my IWB holster when driving. Mine is somewhat difficult to retrieve while driving.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by kmf0925 View Post
    I'm going to agree with everyone who has no sympathy for this 13 year old. If someone approached my wife and I with a gun pointed at me intending to rob me it doesn't matter if the person is 13, 20, 40 or 80. Haven't you heard the phrase "Guns don't kill people, people kill people?" This is absolutely true! If this kid came up to me I'd drop him just like I would if it was someone 3x his age. A gun is a gun.. doesn't matter how old the hands are holding it. He obviously intended to commit a crime and knew it was wrong. Good for the intended victim for having the means to defend him and his wife. Glad they were not hurt.
    Don't get me wrong. I have sympathy that a thirteen year old child died. However, if he's pointing a gun at me, all I see is the gun. It will give me little satisfaction to know that he will be tried as an adult and spend the rest of his life in prison, if I hesitate because of his age and allow him to shoot first.
    Stubborn likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Just from the way I understood the article I assumed the intended victims were still in their vehicle.

Depending on how and where he carried his weapon in the car it might be very easy to bring a gun to bear without it being seen until the last fatal moment.

This is one reason I would like to have another option besides my IWB holster when driving. Mine is somewhat difficult to retrieve while driving.

Michael
    Get a holster that you can attach discretely beneath the steering column. Just slide the gun into that holster while driving.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Get a holster that you can attach discretely beneath the steering column. Just slide the gun into that holster while driving.
    Like this...

AntiCarJackingDevice.jpg
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Exactly. Dang, for a second I thought that was my car.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yah think they read the newspapers or this discussion board? You think a 13 year actually understands cause and effect
    and consequences?

They see stuff in the movies, hear stuff from friends talking "beep," and lack both the maturity and understanding
    to grasp that their behavior is pathetic.
    When it puts a 3rd party that has nothing to do with them in a life or death situation not a single bit of that should matter to anyone. It may not be the child's fault that they were brought up that way...but it is even less the victim's fault that that child decided to live the way they were raised.

I've seen baby ducks blindly follow momma into the road, but I've also seen some turn around when they realized that it was going to get them killed. I'm inclined to think that humans (some) are even smarter than ducks.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    They see stuff in the movies, hear stuff from friends talking "beep," and lack both the maturity and understanding
    to grasp that their behavior is pathetic.
    Now see...I don't buy that "Hop"... 13 years old is enough maturity to grasp the fact that armed robbery is wrong, and will, at some point most likely get you killed or result in you killing someone.

If he's commiting armed robbery at 13, what all has he been into already? I doubt that many start off with armed robbery being their first crime. It is in my opinion, something that he would "work his way" upto.

When someone decides to commit an armed robbery, they have made a conscious decision that they are willing to take someone's life for their money/possessions.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Now see...I don't buy that "Hop"... 13 years old is enough maturity to grasp the fact that armed robbery is wrong, and will, at some point most likely get you killed.
    I learned that taking stuff that didn't belong to me was wrong a lot earlier than age thirteen, a whole lot earlier.

Perhaps the idolization of this kind of behaviour tends to keep the younguns from learning a thing or two.

Wanna be a thug? Well, you can also DIE as a thug. It's real simple.

When I was 13, I had no desire to get a gun, and go out to rob people with it. I learned and had better sense. Making excuses for the behaviour of this kid is pointless. He made the choice and the consequences are now eternal.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have a good job, pay my taxes, and all my bills on time. My wife and I feel fortunate to be able to provide a better life for our daughter than we had growing up. We are decent folks. I do not invade people's homes, steal, or carry on with any illegal activities. I won't bother you, if you don't bother me. Simple. I'm a VERY easy-going man. My preference for TV or movies heavily leans toward comedies. I feed the birds we have here, and will put my neighbor's trash out for pick-up if I'm out earlier than they are in the morning.

But if you threaten me or my family, I will do all I can to call down the thunder on you. My OTHER job is to keep my family safe!! ALWAYS!!
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Another link:
    Mother wants answers as she sits next to someone wearing a memorium T shirt with his street/gang name on it.

http://www.abc3340.com/story/18034499/youth-violence
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Walker says she doesn't know where her son would get a gun or who he was with. She wants answers. "I just want the truth, just makes it seem like Jaquares was some type of gangster or hood person in the street doing wrong, he was not like that. Me and his father stayed on him."

Whenever something like this happens, it seems like the parents (usually the mother) are reading from the same script.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Another link:
    Mother wants answers as she sits next to someone wearing a memorium T shirt with his street/gang name on it.

Mother of teen shot in robbery wants answers - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports
    This stupid woman didn't see the picture of her young thug with the gun throwing gang signs??
    No sympathy for her. The other woman is right about parents taking back responsibility for their kids and using appropriate discipline. The part about society making entertainment for those kids...not so much. Parents need to plan their own children's entertainment. It doesn't take a village to raise a child....it takes decent parents.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

^^^AMEN!^^^

"I just know they said my son was trying to rob a couple in a car which I know that's something he's not capable. I don't know if the guys he left with put him up to this?"
    Walker says she doesn't know where her son would get a gun or who he was with. She wants answers.
    "The mother wants answers"...a better answer might be to the question, What was her 13 year old doing out at 11:30 on a school night???
    Responsibility usually falls where it belongs...What a novel idea - responsibility.
    8th ID and JDE101 like this.
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links