Regarding the 13 year old armed suspect that was killed

This is a discussion on Regarding the 13 year old armed suspect that was killed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 13-year-old suspect killed during robbery - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL. Not a good thing as many folks agree, necessary probably but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Regarding the 13 year old armed suspect that was killed

  1. #1
    Member Array NYMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    45

    Regarding the 13 year old armed suspect that was killed

    13-year-old suspect killed during robbery - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

    Not a good thing as many folks agree, necessary probably but not good. In any event it got me thinking, as someone stated if someone pulls a gun on them they aren't asking for ID. What on earth would you do though if it was a seven year old? A very unlikely situation I know but alot of young kids are being initiated into gangs and and cannot dream of what I would feel or how I would react. There are some things even those with good combat mindset aren't couldn't be prepared for. I suppose crap like this happened in 'Nam or now in the Middle East.

    One word certainly comes to mind...therapy.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array nedrgr21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,536
    Killing a kid would be horrific, but an innocent bystander who picks up a gun is no longer an innocent bystander. If he's willing to do that at the age of 13, sorry, but he needs to go. I feel worse for the guy that shot him than the kid or his family.

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array JoJoGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,901
    I have theories as to why this is happening, but the why is still not easily answered.

    Glorifying that type of lifestyle in pictures, song, and movies breeds this kind of kid.

    The acceptance of that lifestyle or denial that kids are really like that and not just pretending.

    Not making a lifestyle like this kid presented himself living to be a horrible way to live, not just with parents, but the community at large. Thug is replacing decent at a fast pace.

    We are bombarded with information and all kinds of things daily via television, the Internet, cell phones, and Social media. Not all of it good.

    Breakdown of the family unit and moral behaviour in some instances will allow kids to learn indecent behaviour.

    Peer pressure to "follow" the crowd because it's the cool thing to do and darn the consequences.

    I guess I come from a different generation. I would never have even given one thought to do what this kid ended up doing. In the end however, a decision had to be made by the victim in just a split second. If not, then the gun weilding 13 year old thug could just have easily turned his living victims into dead one's with no more thought than squashing a bug.
    surefire7, Spirit51 and Hoganbeg like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

    The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,299
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I have theories as to why this is happening, but the why is still not easily answered.

    Glorifying that type of lifestyle in pictures, song, and movies breeds this kind of kid.

    The acceptance of that lifestyle or denial that kids are really like that and not just pretending.

    Not making a lifestyle like this kid presented himself living to be a horrible way to live, not just with parents, but the community at large. Thug is replacing decent at a fast pace.

    We are bombarded with information and all kinds of things daily via television, the Internet, cell phones, and Social media. Not all of it good.

    Breakdown of the family unit and moral behaviour in some instances will allow kids to learn indecent behaviour.

    Peer pressure to "follow" the crowd because it's the cool thing to do and darn the consequences.

    I guess I come from a different generation. I would never have even given one thought to do what this kid ended up doing. In the end however, a decision had to be made by the victim in just a split second. If not, then the gun weilding 13 year old thug could just have easily turned his living victims into dead one's with no more thought than squashing a bug.
    I hear all that, and agree, to a point. Rather than just the videos and music, you also have the gang mentality. The "structure" missing at home is taken up by the gang with "love," "discipline," and camaraderie that the youngster "feels" he or she is missing at home.

    The gang becomes the family that gives the kid what they want and the gang gets loyalty and fealty in return.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
    [url=http://www.wsfa.com/story/17997141/13-year-old-suspect-killed-during-robbery]...I suppose crap like this happened in 'Nam....
    Ignorant statement. Read some history of the treatment of vets of that era. You suppose kids were killed in Vietnam.
    Last edited by rstickle; May 5th, 2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Language
    First Sgt and msgt/ret like this.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    The age of the bad person with a loaded weapon should never matter. If they shoot you you can still end up being injured or dead.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array Mattmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ar
    Posts
    1,012
    This thread needs to be dead.....

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
    13-year-old suspect killed during robbery - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

    Not a good thing as many folks agree, necessary probably but not good. In any event it got me thinking, as someone stated if someone pulls a gun on them they aren't asking for ID. What on earth would you do though if it was a seven year old? A very unlikely situation I know but alot of young kids are being initiated into gangs and and cannot dream of what I would feel or how I would react. There are some things even those with good combat mindset aren't couldn't be prepared for. I suppose crap like this happened in 'Nam or now in the Middle East.

    One word certainly comes to mind...therapy.
    Nam was something entirely different and not even remotely related.
    Spirit51, mlr1m and Hopyard like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,751
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
    I suppose crap like this happened in 'Nam ...

    One word certainly comes to mind...therapy.
    Yes it did. And it's certainly not pretty to watch someone deal with the aftermath. But the choice is still; you're life or theirs. Most people would choose theirs and deal with the consequences afterward. I think folks fall into 2 camps on this one; the ones that are honest and the ones that are lying to themselves. The ones that are lying to themselves give the honest ones a really hard time and have no idea what they are talking about.
    ErnieNWillis and Spirit51 like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,449
    I feel for the shooter, the kid gave him no choice. I hope the parents of the dead perp are thoroughly investigated.
    Hopyard and phreddy like this.

  12. #11
    Member Array NYMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Ignorant statement. Read some history of the treatment of vets of that era. You suppose kids were killed in Vietnam. *******. Edit - the program ** out the posterior part of your anatomy you think with.
    First off, I wasn't claiming kids were killed by soldiers other than NVA or VC using them as happens now in some African countries. But don't tell me kids weren't killed or is My Lai just a myth?

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    A 7 year old with a gun IMHO would very likely make numerous SA errors during a robbery that could either present an opportunity to disarm him,or be able to draw and get the drop on him hopefully with a chance to scream several times "drop the gun" hopefully he would comply,but if he didn't and he gave me no other choice I would use necessary force to defend myself.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,681
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    A 7 year old with a gun IMHO would very likely make numerous SA errors during a robbery that could either present an opportunity to disarm him,or be able to draw and get the drop on him hopefully with a chance to scream several times "drop the gun" hopefully he would comply,but if he didn't and he gave me no other choice I would use necessary force to defend myself.
    dukalmighty, to each his own but I do not carry a gun to "be able to draw and get the drop on him hopefully with a chance to scream several times "drop the gun". For me the drawing of a gun is because it has reached the point in "Guantes" quote in my sig line. If it is still talk time you don't need a gun in your hand. Gun in hand is action time.

    Just me!
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

    "Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array JoJoGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I hear all that, and agree, to a point. Rather than just the videos and music, you also have the gang mentality. The "structure" missing at home is taken up by the gang with "love," "discipline," and camaraderie that the youngster "feels" he or she is missing at home.

    The gang becomes the family that gives the kid what they want and the gang gets loyalty and fealty in return.

    Breakdown of the family unit and moral behaviour in some instances will allow kids to learn indecent behaviour.
    Absolutely the "gang" mentality is a problem, but what I highlighed in my previous post does address why kids long for gang activity instead of a loving, nurturing home with decency at its center core. When the family is broken by the stresses of a do-as-you-please feeling society, we see this. I grew up in a two parent, loving family with fairly strong moral values. Yet, not so oppressive that I could not expand my horizions. However, the idea that bad behaviour was wrong was hammered home many times, not physically, but with instruction.

    Break the family unit then the bad stuff will creep in and destroy. Some folks have made fun of my views, semi-conservative, a little moral leaning and the fact that we live in a world surrounded by evil. My childhood was good, we didn't have much, but we were loved, happy and knew that if we stayed good, then it would be rewarded at some point. Todays youth want it now and if they can't obtain it, they take it from others by force.

    We need as a whole society to address the things that cause abhorrent behaviour. If we do not, expect a repeat of 13 year olds getting shot and killed during the commission of a robbery.
    Spirit51 and MleeC like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

    The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

13 yeard old thug

Click on a term to search for related topics.