Bad: Good Samaritan shot

This is a discussion on Bad: Good Samaritan shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, you see a young girl being harassed in front of the middle school by a couple of boys. Gonna stop the car and get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Bad: Good Samaritan shot

So, you see a young girl being harassed in front of the middle school by a couple of boys.

Gonna stop the car and get out to intervene?

This guy did, and got shot for his trouble.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headline...device=android
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    The good guys don't always win. It is important to keep that in mind.
    atctimmy and Spade115 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

always approach trouble as if they are carrying
    beararms, mano3, Spade115 and 1 others like this.

Well, I feel bad for the guy, but it could have been much worse.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I wonder what information the girl getting assalted gave police? This story seems to have alot of questions yet to be asked, much less answered.

Our samaritan did the right thing in helping this young girl out, but with the interviewed resident saying that gunfire is a 'normal' occurance there (a bullet hole in her home from a previous shooting....?!?), I'd been MUCH more cautious about getting out of the car. A cell phone call to 911 and a reasonably safe distence as to maintain a LOS (*) of the 'kids' until the police arrived seems to be a much more tactically sound approach to intervining in that situation. Of course, I'm armchair quarterbacking from the comfort of my desk.............

NOT getting out of your car seems to be a reoccuring 'theme' in some recent posts here..................

edit: (*) LOS = Line Of Sight (after 21 years in the military I forget acronyms arn't the best means of communicating..........)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My wife would ALWAYS go to help even if I had just relayed this story to her. She's just like that. Usually it works out, rarely not so much. Me, I'm a "drive on by, not my problem, might call 911" kind of guy most of the time, but I might even have stopped in this case. The result though would have been two way fire.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

What a shame that you even have to think this way now a days if you want to get involved and do the right thing! 'Back in the day' just an adult stopping their car would have made the kids run away; now you have to worry about them shooting back.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

It makes one almost afraid to help someone, especially if a domestic assualt is occuring. If you
    try to intervene without a firearm, you run the risk of what happened in this case. If you pull
    your firearm in a case like this, in many jurisdictions you would have a hard time defending
    your actions. It's sad that you can't help innocent people who need it in today's world without
    physical and legal risk being involved.
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    What a shame that you even have to think this way now a days if you want to get involved and do the right thing! 'Back in the day' just an adult stopping their car would have made the kids run away; now you have to worry about them shooting back.
    Society has changed a LOT,,,,or maybe just the players.....Not a clear line between good kids and bad kids anymore.....
    danfive555 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post

^^What is a shame is that^^^^^^

while seeing this take place one would assume that the "nice boys" doling out the beat-down were actually attending the school.

I OTOH would would recognize bottom-feeders when I see them and would expect thug behavior, and prepare for the worst.

You are correct; what a ridiculous world we live in, where boys , on a daily basis are acting like rabid animals,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    walking at dusk into a Movies 17 and i see a young lady hemmed in by 4 dudes at her car door ( its closed).
    her plate is DEB 82 and she looks 25ish so i hold back my wife and call out----

"hey debbie, i thought you were going to meet us inside. are you bringing these friends with you?"

i had seen all their hands moving, nothing in them; and they l o o k at me and she scurries on over to me
    --that was one very relieved young lady and i kept my hand in my pocket in case they got bold.

-----------------point im trying for is if you are going to come to anothers aid
    be aweare--there is a lot going on in a small amount of time and little, if any, room for error.
    her having a personalized plate made it possible to do as i did
    otherwise id of had to send my wife inside to get help while i tried to be invisable and observe.

i rather think they would have seen me and things would have gone downhill fast from there.
    i believe it would have been more so for them...
    but a fight avoided is a fight won.

-----------the story the OP put forth has little information but the guy
    getting out of the car did not deploy with a very well thought out plan
    and suffered for it.

pat on the back for good intentions
    surgery for execution
    Last edited by claude clay; May 6th, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
    lyz_grace, phreddy, mano3 and 2 others like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The good guys don't always win. It is important to keep that in mind.
    Problem is, doing nothing is always a win for the scum bags.

That said, I would still be very careful about getting involved. And even more careful about the actions I took. NC is not the easiest place to defend a 3rd party if it comes to deadly force.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Our samaritan did the right thing in helping this young girl out, but with the interviewed resident saying that gunfire is a 'normal' occurance there (a bullet hole in her home from a previous shooting....?!?), I'd been MUCH more cautious about getting out of the car. A cell phone call to 911 and a reasonably safe distence as to maintain a LOS (*) of the 'kids' until the police arrived seems to be a much more tactically sound approach to intervining in that situation. Of course, I'm armchair
    Saber (a frequent participant here who is a retired LEO and I think is just gone from here
    temporarily) once posted about a situation. He basically pulled his car to where he could
    watch, see how things develop, 911 it, or intervene if necessary.

He gave sound advice, and I agree with what you, goldshellback, wrote.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

This occurred here in my hometown of Omaha, NE and yup, the neighborhood up there is "rough" to put it nicely. I would be wary of trying to be the good samaritan in any neighborhood but in that one in particular, I would be calling the police and being a good witness. The North end of town is where the majority of violence occurs in the city between black gangs and I avoid it at all costs.
    danfive555 and mano3 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Yep, most of us think alike. In this day and age, you have to second guess your natural instincts to help someone. I personally do my best to avoid bad neighborhoods and if I find myself in a shady neighborhood unexpectedly, me, myself, my shadow and my reflection, all of us mind our P's and Q's. For all I know it's a gangsta gal getting jumped into the gang or a drug debt. Watching gang stories like "Gangland" and Locked Up Boston, LA, etc. etc., gang kids as young as 10 years old are carrying pistols these days.

I can't begin to imagine a child or young teen pulling a gun on me. One thing would be for sure, there would definitely be hesitation on my part.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links