Bad: Mother and child robbed at knife-point; Mother stabbed. - Page 3

Bad: Mother and child robbed at knife-point; Mother stabbed.

This is a discussion on Bad: Mother and child robbed at knife-point; Mother stabbed. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bad: Mother and child robbed at knife-point; Mother stabbed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Again, as I asked on another thread, what part of my comments were untrue?
    You are presupposing that the mother knew that the perp would not use, steal or harm the kid. I don't give her credit for that knowledge. Thankfully, it worked out for the kid, but you can clearly see the perp thinking about it when he has his hand on the kid after the first move by the mother. We cannot assume that the mother knew the perp's mind.

It is kind of fun to watch the liberal bloviators on CNN try to spin this as a normal reaction any mother would have.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    You are presupposing that the mother knew that the perp would not use, steal or harm the kid. I don't give her credit for that knowledge. Thankfully, it worked out for the kid, but you can clearly see the perp thinking about it when he has his hand on the kid after the first move by the mother. We cannot assume that the mother knew the perp's mind.

It is kind of fun to watch the liberal bloviators on CNN try to spin this as a normal reaction any mother would have.
    Nope, I'm saying the woman made a split-second decision, reacting in a way that took the line of attack away from her child. What I see on the perp's face was complete surprise at an unexpected course of developments, definitely not according his plan. His momentary befuddlement allowed the child to escape.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Nope, I'm saying the woman made a split-second decision, reacting in a way that took the line of attack away from her child. What I see on the perp's face was complete surprise at an unexpected course of developments, definitely not according his plan. His momentary befuddlement allowed the child to escape.
    So, with a more astute perp, i.e., not befuddled, she may well have lost the kid. Sounds like a plan to me :(
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    So, with a more astute perp, i.e., not befuddled, she may well have lost the kid. Sounds like a plan to me :(
    A plan which works sounds like a good plan to me.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I can't help but wonder if you have any kids, Mike. I don't, but I have young family members. I can't even fathom your interpretation of this situation.

I gotta say that people who are in condition white for most of their lives are not going to act in a way we may feel is the correct way to act.

What it looked like to me was that this woman responded on a pure primitive survival response and did not even think of her kid.

What I saw was a woman who probably never even considered the possibility that she would ever be accosted or be a crime victim.

Her mentality probably goes something along the lines of "I mind my own business, I don't bother anyone, I have nothing to offer anyone, therefore, no one will ever target me to be a victim!"

Everyone is appalled at how she responded. How do you blame someone who simply does not know any better? I can assure you, she is not in the minority. People who visit this forum are the minority.

I didn't see much more than total confusion out of her response. Why? She had absolutely no idea how to respond. It's a shame... But she is not alone in her behavior and lack of awareness of what goes on around them.

Sorry Mike1956, I don't think she had any kind of plan. Nor do I believe she tried to execute any type of plan. I think her actions were simply out of mere happenstance with no direction whatsoever. No plan to lead the perp away from her child or anything.

And if someone had asked her the day before, she would have said that she would never let anyone harm her child. Just a blind statement based on no substance. Just an abstract concept of defending her child. Nothing concrete and nothing even strategized or thought about.

And again, it pains me to say it, but I don't think she's in the minority.

Just my opinion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Would've gone down differently in Texas.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

This could be just naivity speaking, but I just assume that any "pure primitive survival response" of a mother with her child is a sort of blanket statement. Until the kid is old enough to do things like get themselves breakfast and go to school, you and the child are connected in a pretty literal sense. When a child is that young, they are always with you. You are either carrying them or holding their hand. They can't do much of anything but sleep without your assistance. That any threat to the MOTHER'S safety can break that connection and not immediately translate to a threat to the safety of them BOTH just blows my mind. But like you said, we're in a self-awareness minority and I'm not a mom.

And Mike, I meant to say earlier that even though I disagree with pretty much every one of your posts, I appreciate your delivery. Thanks for the civil debate, I think you brought up some good points

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Would've gone down differently in Texas.
    Really? Based on what?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I can't help but wonder if you have any kids, Mike. I don't, but I have young family members. I can't even fathom your interpretation of this situation.
    Two grown sons, educated, successful, outgoing and confident. I would tell them to run, too.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    This could be just naivity speaking, but I just assume that any "pure primitive survival response" of a mother with her child is a sort of blanket statement. Until the kid is old enough to do things like get themselves breakfast and go to school, you and the child are connected in a pretty literal sense. When a child is that young, they are always with you. You are either carrying them or holding their hand. They can't do much of anything but sleep without your assistance. That any threat to the MOTHER'S safety can break that connection and not immediately translate to a threat to the safety of them BOTH just blows my mind. But like you said, we're in a self-awareness minority and I'm not a mom.

And Mike, I meant to say earlier that even though I disagree with pretty much every one of your posts, I appreciate your delivery. Thanks for the civil debate, I think you brought up some good points
    I, too am appreciative when exchanges remain calm and thought out. Less-than-civil discourses usually break more than they fix. Obviously, when tactics in life-and-death situations are being discussed, there will be a wide array of opinions voiced, and things can easily become heated. Often we wind up just agreeing to disagree. No shame there.
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    And that is one of the reasons this is such a great community.

If everyone agreed on these forums, I don't think we would have much to talk about.
    8th ID likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links