Bad: Mother and child robbed at knife-point; Mother stabbed.

This is a discussion on Bad: Mother and child robbed at knife-point; Mother stabbed. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bad: Mother and child robbed at knife-point; Mother stabbed.

Bad: Mother and child robbed at knife-point; Mother stabbed.

2. Remove Ads

...I'm not saying I might not lose my composure if something like that happened... but what mother makes a break for it leaving her toddler in the arms of a mugger with a knife?!?!
    darbo likes this.

yea, and she drops her kid and runs leaving the kid behind

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    ...I'm not saying I might not lose my composure if something like that happened... but what mother makes a break for it leaving her toddler in the arms of a mugger with a knife?!?!
    The same mothers that were leaving kids in dumpsters to die. The same mothers who caused many states to create laws to allow mothers to drop unwanted babies off at their local hospital or Fire Dept and not be charged with abandonment.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The same mothers that were leaving kids in dumpsters to die. The same mothers who caused many states to create laws to allow mothers to drop unwanted babies off at their local hospital or Fire Dept and not be charged with abandonment.

Michael
    And she'll probably have a great "I was scared for my life, you can't judge me because you don't know what it feels like" sob story for all of the critics. She oughta be sick. Her daughter may only be 4, but when she gets older you can bet she'll be scarred. Bad enough that deadbeat dads don't have any sense of parental responsibility these days. Now the moms. I guess if we expect the public schools to take care of our youth's education and discipline we shouldn't feel any need to take care of their personal safety, right? Don't I get a civil servant for that?

VIP Member
    I saw the mother's strategy as brilliant. She drew the attacker away from her daughter, thus minimizing the potential risk to the youngster.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I saw the mother's strategy as brilliant. She drew the attacker away from her daughter, thus minimizing the potential risk to the youngster.
    Possible. I don't know that I'd give her that much credit though. Even if that WAS her train of thought, what was keeping him from scooping up the little girl and holding the knife to her throat as leverage, or worse, running off with her? As a woman (who's not even a mom yet), I lose all respect for a mother who's willing to take that outstanding chance.
    Spirit51 and ksholder like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Possible. I don't know that I'd give her that much credit though. Even if that WAS her train of thought, what was keeping him from scooping up the little girl and holding the knife to her throat as leverage, or worse, running off with her? As a woman (who's not even a mom yet), I lose all respect for a mother who's willing to take that outstanding chance.
    Split-second decisions are just that. The knife attack was clearly being directed at the mother. Why risk accidental death or injury to the child when that risk can at least be minimized by getting the child off the x by moving?
    Tuco

IMO.....No mother would ever abandon her young in the throws of a life threatening situation not even an animal............Coward.....live with that.
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    IMO.....No mother would ever abandon her young in the throws of a life threatening situation not even an animal............Coward.....live with that.
    Then it would seem we disagree.
    Tuco

You betcha......All she had to do was give him the darn purse.....instead she ran away leaving her child behind........are you kiddin' me.

Get off the "X"................Sure she thought of that one.
    Spirit51 likes this.

I guess that's where we differ, as I think the risk of the girl being killed/injured INCREASED exponentially. And since when did the wounded-mama-bird technique involve trying to lock yourself in a building with your child (assumedly) still outside? Not arguing with you, I understand you're just giving her the benefit of the doubt. I usually do, but here I just don't buy it.
    Spirit51 likes this.

She left her child not once, but twice.

The child goes running after her mother, then the mother makes a run for the store, again, without her child.

The only thing that kept this child from getting hurt is the fact that this criminal had no interest in the child, luckily.

And yet she wouldn't give up the purse..........worst Coward is a mother abandoning a child....IMO.
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    You betcha......All she had to do was give him the darn purse.....instead she ran away leaving her child behind........are you kiddin' me.

Get off the "X"................Sure she thought of that one.
    She not only thought of it, she executed it to perfection. The bg had absolutely no interest in the child, as demonstrated throughout the encounter.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links