2 kids arrested with gun at school

This is a discussion on 2 kids arrested with gun at school within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mixed feelings on some of the charges placed for a kid showing off the gun with no intent of shooting anyone. Never the less he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2 kids arrested with gun at school

2 kids arrested with gun at school

Mixed feelings on some of the charges placed for a kid showing off the gun with no intent of shooting anyone. Never the less he brought it and its law.I agree with 2 of the 3 charges.

Kissimmee student arrested for bringing gun to school
    Last edited by AustinS; May 8th, 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Clarification

2. Remove Ads

I don't have mixed feelings on it, the law was broken and they were caught... what's there to have mixed feelings about?

The only part I question is this:
    "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill"

Where was the aggravated assault?

Web definitions:
    a reckless attack with intent to injure seriously (as with a deadly weapon)

How is having a weapon in your possession assault? One of the boys had it in his possession... how do you charge the other with the same crime..?

Rules is rules... soon they won't be able to eat hotdogs at the ball game either... when is enough enough...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

At least it wasnt loaded, which means he just wanted to show it off. I wonder if it belonged to his parents?

The kid that brought a gun to my son's middle school was just showing off as well. He stole it from his mom's purse and showed it to his friends before the first bell. Another kid saw it and told a teacher. The gun never made it inside and the kid is in BIG trouble.

What's scary is that the mom didn't even know her gun was missing!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    How is having a weapon in your possession assault?
    Prosecutors often refer to such practices as "sending a message".
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    soon they won't be able to eat hotdogs at the ball game either... when is enough enough...
    I don't agree with bringing a gun to grade school, let alone INTO school... college is a different matter and another thread.

When a crime is committed all that are involved are guilty wither they have anything to do with it or not.... it’s the law.
    The parents are guilty too if they have a gun and the kid has access to it

I agree that two of the three charges should be made even though his intent was to "show off" and not harm. I have questions about the assault charge though. Now they need to find out where he got it. If it comes from the parents...they got some major explaining to do or face some punishment for carelessness. I don't think this should ruin the kid's life, but it should "sting" big time.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Sigh... gone are the days when I'd have a shotty in the trunk, and go pheasant hunting or squirrel hunting after school... Some of the guys with really expensive guns... or maybe dad's O/U would keep them in their locker....

Miss those days.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

How many kids back then started shooting random people in school? Back in the day we maybe had a fist fight before or after school, that was about the extent of it. Cops used to tell you to get home or they'd call your dad if they caught you driving drunk, under age or not... Something changed along the way - and as a result, so did the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    Mixed feelings on some of the charges placed for a kid showing off the gun with no intent of shooting anyone. Never the less he brought it and its law.I agree with 2 of the 3 charges.
    I agree. Where was the assault? Who was assaulted, or intended to be assaulted? I find that charge to be frivolous.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Where did they get the "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill" charge? I didn't read where he assaulted anyone, aggravated or not. He'll beat that one, the other two will stick though.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

M.
    I see no grounds for the "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill."

The rest I agree with.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I don't agree with bringing a gun to grade school, let alone INTO school... college is a different matter and another thread.
    It is unwise for children to be "permitted" to bring guns or knives to school, but it is also unwise to turn stupid kid
    stuff into life altering criminal charges.

I can just add that I feel sorry for kids nowadays. When I was in elementary school we brought knives to school
    and played with them during recess. If a teacher caught us we'd get yelled at. No one called the cops.
    When I was in HS we brought rifles to school. Granted, it was with full foreknowledge of the Rifle Team Coach, but
    he wasn't charged with child endangerment for trying to run a rifle team.

Here's what I think should happen in this particular case we are discussing.

Twelve year old--- drop all charges. Let the school handle it with after school detention for a couple of weeks, assuming he is
    otherwise an OK kid.

The thirteen year old. Old enough to know better. Should have had a Bar Mitzvah at 13 and been declared responsible
    for his own actions. Maybe he would have gotten the message.

I can see two of the three charges. I don't see the assault charge, but then maybe we don't know the entire story.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links