Not so good....

This is a discussion on Not so good.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know if this is a Zimmerman repercussion or not, but twenty years for a warning shot seems a bit harsh.... People get less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Not so good....

Not so good....

I don't know if this is a Zimmerman repercussion or not, but twenty years for a warning shot seems a bit harsh....
    People get less than that when they actually kill someone.

U.S. News - Marissa Alexander gets 20 years for firing warning shot after Stand Your Ground defense fails
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

This is way overboard. What did he get for abusing her? I hope she gets a better outcome on appeal.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

It strikes me as a big stretch to use "stand your ground" as a defense in this case. I think the defense didn't have much of a case, so they threw the long bomb but it didn't pay off.

And realistically, she didn't get 20 years for a warning shot - she got 20 years for firing a gun in the direction of her husband and her children! She had an opportunity to retreat, but she elected to instead re-engage.

Appeals will be filed. Rhetoric will be spewed. No one will be happy.
    DanielC, Bubbiesdad and tkruf like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sound like aggravated assault to me....

But a jury agreed with prosecutors that the law didn't apply because she left during the argument, got a gun and returned to confront him, WJXT reported.
    msgt/ret, DanielC and Bubbiesdad like this.

She went to the garage and got the gun, but couldn't get the garage door open. She fired what she called a "warning shot". She would have gotten less time if she would have killed the abusive jerk.
    mano3 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    Sound like aggravated assault to me....
    Leaving to get a gun really blows self-defense out of the water.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It strikes me as a big stretch to use "stand your ground" as a defense in this case. I think the defense didn't have much of a case, so they threw the long bomb but it didn't pay off.

And realistically, she didn't get 20 years for a warning shot - she got 20 years for firing a gun in the direction of her husband and her children! She had an opportunity to retreat, but she elected to instead re-engage.

Appeals will be filed. Rhetoric will be spewed. No one will be happy.
    I understand that and she was offered a three year plea deal also. I also understand mandatory sentencing guidelines came into play. My only point is that there has been so much "stand your ground" in the news that if you choose it as your defense, you had better have some pretty strong evidence to back you up. I don't think you can count on a jury giving you the benefit of the doubt.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I understand that and she was offered a three year plea deal also. I also understand mandatory sentencing guidelines came into play. My only point is that there has been so much "stand your ground" in the news that if you choose it as your defense, you had better have some pretty strong evidence to back you up. I don't think you can count on a jury giving you the benefit of the doubt.
    She should have taken the deal. Bad advice from a lawyer? Apparently the jury gave NO benefit of doubt.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    She should have taken the deal. Bad advice from a lawyer? Apparently the jury gave NO benefit of doubt.
    Hard to say. This isn't one that I was following. I just saw it today. Maybe she ignored the lawyer's advice. That stuff happens. Obviously, in retrospect, the three years sounds like a pretty good deal, but maybe she thought she could beat the rap.

She was in the wrong and shooting in the direction even where her children is just plain wrong.

VIP Member
    Angela Corey doesn't seem to care much for the self-defense argument, whatever the spin.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    She was in the wrong and shooting in the direction even where her children is just plain wrong.

Florida 10-20-LIFE -- Mandatory Minimum Prison Sentences

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    the judge looks shaky......20 years for a warning shot seems a little harsh.......30 days maybe but 20 years ***

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    She went to the garage and got the gun, but couldn't get the garage door open. She fired what she called a "warning shot". She would have gotten less time if she would have killed the abusive jerk.
    She should of stayed in the garage and bunker down. If she was truly trapped in the house, he would of come for her, at that point she could of claimed SD. She didnt do that. She became the aggressor by retrieving the gun and engaging.

IIRC there a couple of different versions of what happened here. In one version she was the initial aggressor, went to garage to retrieve gun, came back in pointed it at him and the kids and then fired the shot into the ceiling.
    And then there is her version.
    I am thinking that the folks in the court room maybe found her a little less credible than the other people that testified.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links