TV crew finds gun, not police

This is a discussion on TV crew finds gun, not police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That's not the worst of it. When the reporter (whose crew found the gun) tried to get in contact with the DPD, she got the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Eagleks
  • 2 Post By tacman605

Thread: TV crew finds gun, not police

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

That's not the worst of it. When the reporter (whose crew found the gun) tried to get in contact with the DPD, she got the runaround.

If you watch the vid, the LEO who retrieves the gun removes all of the spent casings from the respective cylinders. Isn't that tampering with the evidence?

TV News Crew Finds Gun Near Murder Scene in Detroit
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    That's not the worst of it. When the reporter (whose crew found the gun) tried to get in contact with the DPD, she got the runaround.

If you watch the vid, the LEO who retrieves the gun removes all of the spent casings from the respective cylinders. Isn't that tampering with the evidence?

TV News Crew Finds Gun Near Murder Scene in Detroit
    I would think it proper to unload the weapon thus making it safe for future handling. I'm sure he secured the casings away securely to prevent contamination of evidence.

Michael

This is really sad. Looks like the Police Department has given up. It may be that they are so over whelmed with killings that just don't care anymore. I really hope this isn't a attitude that spreads across the country to other cities like Chicago or Kansas City. Makes me really happy that I carry concealed. What few times I do go to the city...at least I feel I have a chance of making it home again.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

looked like he was checking how many rounds were fired and besides he had rubber gloves on.

They act like the cops are responsible for finding a gun. I am sure they looked but unless there is a reason to keep looking there not going to. Let’s face it in most shootings the gun is not left behind UNLESS it is a mob hit

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Actually guru, the last gas station robbery I saw resulted in about 6 officers searching the entire surrounding blocks for the weapon. I would assume they would do the same for that, but then again, I'm sure they're much busier in Detroit than here.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I would think it proper to unload the weapon thus making it safe for future handling. I'm sure he secured the casings away securely to prevent contamination of evidence.

Michael
    I wouldn't unload it.... I'ld secure it, but not unload it. Finger prints can be found on casings at times..... by unloading it , he just contaminated them or may wipe them out .... and you have a new issue with "chain of evidence" that those were the casings in that gun, at that time, etc. My .02 cents, keep it intact and let it be 'processed' in a controlled environment.
    dukalmighty, msgt/ret and baren like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Well you don't turn in a loaded weapon to the evidence room they tend to get really pissed off.

A semi auto you drop the mag, clear the chamber, bag the ammo in a seperate container and submit it with the gun. Revolvers are emptied and bagged and tagged in the same manner. It looked like the officer removing the shell casings was handling them by the cartridge rim and he was in fact wearing gloves so anything there was more than likely preserved as evidence.
    Secret Spuk and fastk9dad like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Agreed Tacman, officers safety is much more important, I'm sure there were more than enough prints on the gun and casings. If he did not wear gloves it may be a different story.

Sorry for the double post, for some reason it won't let me edit my posts, but just to clarify for some people on here... I'm aware that there's no danger in used casings, but just like all gun safety, you treat every gun like it's loaded in order to keep your good habits.

Years ago I was taught when recovering a revolver unless the hammer is cocked then you lower the hammer,pick it up bag and tag it,they don't go off unless you pull the trigger and the gun is inside a sealed brown paper sack
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Years ago I was taught when recovering a revolver unless the hammer is cocked then you lower the hammer,pick it up bag and tag it,they don't go off unless you pull the trigger and the gun is inside a sealed brown paper sack
    YEP...... that's what is common practice here, because too many people messed up evidence. It's not uncommon that someone will wipe the outside of a gun clean of prints, never thinking about finger prints on the casings.... which then gets them nailed to the wall. On casings , it's usually only a partial print, but enough.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsored Links