Google’s driverless car passes Nevada test

This is a discussion on Google’s driverless car passes Nevada test within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If I buy one of these cars created by Google will I be bombarded by advertisements while going down the road? Will they track my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Google’s driverless car passes Nevada test

If I buy one of these cars created by Google will I be bombarded by advertisements while going down the road? Will they track my driving habits like they now try to track my searches using their search engine?

And most importantly will I be able to stop at adult entertainment sites or will they be restricted by blockers if using a company car?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Does this really belong in this forum?
    shouldn't it be in off topic/humor?

Nope:0)
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I thought this section was for self defense stories in the news.

From a sticky at the top:
    Threads posted in "In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
    We are getting an increasing number of "off topic" threads posted to the "In the News" forum. So much so that it is beginning to become a general crime story repository that is really not the focus of this forum. If you come across news items that have some real application to concealed carry, open carry, successful (or unsuccessful) armed self defense please feel free to post them, but "general crime" stories, not associated with self defense in any way should be avoided. Likewise for stories of crime in countries other than the US.

While I appreciate that our members enjoy the forum and want to post items of personal interest regardless of topic, I believe that we are, over time, broadening the focus of the forum too much in including some of these topics. Please help us keep the forums' topics "on topic".

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I am all for it. So many people are too stupid and irresponsible to drive. I will trust a machine over people that have no regard for human life. IMO human failure and mistakes are more likely than a mechanical or electronic failure.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

When perfected, and it's rapidly approaching that, this will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. For the elderly, who have had to give up driving and become dependent on friends and relatives, this extends their independence. At some point, like mobility scooters, you could find Medicare buying you a car. It could revolutionize long haul trucking producing a truck that could run non-stop without the driver expense. Taxi cabs would be driverless. Just get in the cab and tell it where you want to go. Swipe a credit card to pay for the fare, no tips, and you don't have to put up with a rude driver. Program your car to pick the kids up at school and bring them straight home. You don't have to leave work early. After it drops the kids off, it comes back to the office to pick you up. The possibilities are endless.
    GGGreg likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I love to drive but I'd also love the option of long road trips or just trips to the convenience store if I didn't have to drive.

Think of all the "fun" things you could do while your computer chauffeur is driving you.
    Like teaching your lady how to clear a loaded gun.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by t1meismoney View Post
    What happens when even just one of the sensors stops working?
    One would assume it is programmed to account for contingencies and will attempt to safely remove itself from traffic.

What happens when a driver has a heart attack, miscalculates their insulin dose, falls asleep, or gets caught up in a text message conversation? The implications of mechanical failure are significantly less than those of human failures.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Don't be so accepting of technology now days, its a very fine double edged sword. Doubly so with Google.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
    Don't be so accepting of technology now days, its a very fine double edged sword. Doubly so with Google.
    So sayeth the village blacksmith as Henry Ford tinkers with the automobile.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I wonder how it handles emergency vehicles and road construction. I guess they have that all figured out.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

What are the auto features in this car that can be turned on without any external effort.

Google’s driverless car passes Nevada test
    Hm. Makes me wonder what the test criteria were.

Not too many years back, there were the Microsoft's Taking Over Everything fears, and the jokes about what would happen if Microsoft designed cars (ie, the car would crash several times a day, the reboot sequence would involve ...)

Now, we've got the portent of Google cars. Just imagine ... Searching the navigation system for a quicker route that avoided the water would result in paid results for ads for bath products and trips to Corfu. You could drive around town with the sneaking suspicion that your every turn was being recorded for posterity. YouTubers would unite with GeoCachers to locate your car (based on the hidden GPS unit) after a crash (aka "accident") and to film it being cannibalized by local Zombies. Ahhhh, technology!

Quote Originally Posted by From the story/film The Time Machine
    David Philby: [looking at a futuristic picture] I wonder if we'll ever go too far.
    Alexander Hartdegen: With what?
    David Philby: [pointing at the picture] With this. With all of this.
    Alexander Hartdegen: No such thing.
    That said, I'm all for improvements. Drive by wire, speed sensor traffic flow control, crash avoidance, and so on. Just so's we remain vigilant to avoid the risks of the double-edged sword.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am all for progress. At the same time, what are the unintended consequences of this, or any, action?

There has already been a proposal to raise taxes on those who drive by measuring how many miles they drive (in addition to gas taxes already paid).
    Next could be paying more if you drive roads that are too congested.
    Then comes the ability of the gov't (or Google) to know everything you do or say in your car.

And don't forget the army of regulators (complete with FA weapons, ballistic vests, and tanks) who must ensure compliance to gov't regs.

I love tech. But we still live in a "world of guided missiles (now cars) and misguided men." Dwight Eisenhower
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If I buy one of these cars created by Google will I be bombarded by advertisements while going down the road? Will they track my driving habits like they now try to track my searches using their search engine?

And most importantly will I be able to stop at adult entertainment sites or will they be restricted by blockers if using a company car?

Michael
    You will be able to go to adult entertainment venues... but not gun shops...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links