not all good guys win... shootout

This is a discussion on not all good guys win... shootout within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Oakland street robbery turns into gunfight. man with a lic defends himself against a robber and takes a bullet to the chest...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: not all good guys win... shootout

Oakland street robbery turns into gunfight. man with a lic defends himself against a robber and takes a bullet to the chest

VIP Member
    Who knows, it may be me who gets shot in the chest someday.

All I ask is that I be allowed to go down swinging (and in a pile of brass).
    Spade115 likes this.

I believe it was Mas Ayoob at an NTI one time that said "You can do everything right, and still die". Lucky shot is a lucky shot, no matter who fired it. One famous instructor says that's why when you've determined you need to shoot an adversary, shoot. Don't make it a gunfight, make it a shooting.

dan
    SpongeBob TacticalPants
    sgb and barstoolguru like this.

Look up the story of Mark Wilson at the Tyler, TX courthouse. He was an armed civilian who intervened against an armed madman, and was killed, but his actions likely saved some lives and bought the responding cops some time.

A similar story with a more favorable outcome was that of Rory Vertigan in Phoenix, who saw a cop being shot and successfully intervened.

Yep, they don't always work out well for the good guys, but thank God for the good guys who try.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

sgb
    Prayers to the Garmon family, may he have a full and speedy recovery.
    stancehold likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

True.... but I just want a good fighting chance ...... without it, the results are a given, at least I can put them more in my favor.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Oakland street robbery turns into gunfight. man with a lic defends himself against a robber and takes a bullet to the chest
    maybe now some of the ninjas on here will realize that just because you might be permitted to carry a gun, that you aren't invisible and that sometimes it is much wiser to have good SA that helps you avoid bad situations.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Walking around Oakland at 3am ?? " Nothing good happens after midnight" Hope he recovers OK.
    Being in California, I would expect the instigator to be back on the street post haste.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    What I understand of this is he tried to draw against a already drawn gun. Just because you have a gun does not mean the best thing to do is draw. I see lack of training and possibly since he was leaving a bar not thinking with all cylinders.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Walking around Oakland at 3am ?? " Nothing good happens after midnight" Hope he recovers OK.
    Being in California, I would expect the instigator to be back on the street post haste.
    "Oakland is the academic, cultural, and healthcare center of Pittsburgh and is Pennsylvania's third largest "Downtown". [1] Only Center City Philadelphia and Downtown Pittsburgh can claim more economic and social activity than Oakland. The neighborhood is urban and diverse and is home to several universities, museums, and hospitals, as well as an abundance of shopping, restaurants, and students. Oakland is home to the Schenley Farms National Historic District[2] which encompasses two city designated historic districts: the mostly residential Schenley Farms Historic District [3] and the predominantly institutional Oakland Civic Center Historic District.[4] The Pittsburgh Fire Bureau has Fire Station No. 14 on McKee Place and Fire Station No. 10 on Allequippa Street in Oakland."

Oakland (Pittsburgh) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    maybe now some of the ninjas on here will realize that just because you might be permitted to carry a gun, that you aren't invisible and that sometimes it is much wiser to have good SA that helps you avoid bad situations.
    Why do YOU always have to call people names?

Regardless Oakland Ca or Pa , 3:00 Am is not a great time to be out and about. And if you are out staying in groups is probably a great idea. Whats very sad
    is that this was over a bracelet? Seriously? I believe in defending myself for sure but defending my bracelet with my life nope probably not worth it. Hope the victim heals up well.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    [QUOTE][ Originally Posted by airslot

"Oakland is the academic, cultural, and healthcare center of Pittsburgh and is Pennsylvania's third largest "Downtown". [1] Only Center City Philadelphia and Downtown Pittsburgh can claim more economic and social activity than Oakland. The neighborhood is urban and diverse and is home to several universities, museums, and hospitals, as well as an abundance of shopping, restaurants, and students. Oakland is home to the Schenley Farms National Historic District[2] which encompasses two city designated historic districts: the mostly residential Schenley Farms Historic District [3] and the predominantly institutional Oakland Civic Center Historic District.[4] The Pittsburgh Fire Bureau has Fire Station No. 14 on McKee Place and Fire Station No. 10 on Allequippa Street in Oakland."

Oakland (Pittsburgh) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    /QUOTE]

I stand corrected.
    However, California or Pennsylvania, "NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER MIDNIGHT"
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Regardless Oakland Ca or Pa , 3:00 Am is not a great time to be out and about. And if you are out staying in groups is probably a great idea. Whats very sad
    is that this was over a bracelet? Seriously? I believe in defending myself for sure but defending my bracelet with my life nope probably not worth it. Hope the victim heals up well.
    And what if the idiot robber decided after getting the bracelet, he will shoot anyway? Submission to a robber doesn't always work out well, either. But the GG did need better tactics, like throwing the bracelet on the ground (or dropping it "accidentally").
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Depends on whose bed you are in a 3:00AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links