BAD: Man charged for accidentally firing gun

This is a discussion on BAD: Man charged for accidentally firing gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Sig35seven I worked for several years at a shooting range. We had plenty of people do this type of accidental discharge. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: BAD: Man charged for accidentally firing gun

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I worked for several years at a shooting range. We had plenty of people do this type of accidental discharge. I almost got my foot blown off once. I found that many people keep their finger on the trigger and pull the trigger unconsciously. They are as surprised as anyone when the gun goes off. I still find it concerning when I see how many people really have no idea of safe gun handling, many of which have their CC permit. This type of irresponsibility will only work against us.

Just a few weeks ago at my local range a fellow needed more targets so he left the firing line and walked into the main showroom still carrying his loaded weapon. Swinging the gun around unaware of what he was doing. All gun people don't act or think alike.
    This is why I avoid ranges altogether. Except the one I built in the woods behind my house! Lucky enough to be rural.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I lean towards what Claude said,but for a somewhat different reason, not that his reason is essentially spot on.

I just don't like making big deals over things when it is not really necessary. ND like auto accidents happen.
    They are almost always the result of someone doing something they should not have done, but we don't have enough jail space
    to deal with everyone who causes an auto accident in which another gets harmed. We let the civil system take care of most
    of that stuff. A true ND, is a "learning experience." Thank your personal deity no one got harmed and move on.
    Brass63 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    so, lets handle everyone who discharges a gun equally---
    2 of 8 items i found ...

2/11/03 off-duty Capitol police officer ....never charged

(CT) Officer Whose Gun Discharged Will Not Be Charged - THR

3/08/12....never charged and there were injuries!

Two officers shot during training exercise - WFSB Channel 3

i could go on but the point is—when the police do it, no penality—
    when a civilian does it—most lose their permits and face felony charges.

I see a system that works for itself. And very well.
    I will agree that LEO's get special treatment sometimes, but I think that has a lot to do with the agency and state. We have had several citizens shoot themselves since I have been working and none of them faced criminal charges. I do know of an Officer that had an ND and he was reprimanded as far as time off with no pay. These are personal experiences, not my cousin's brother's uncle stories. Don't lump all LEO's together, we are not all the same...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Windsor Locks Cop Fired | NBC Connecticut

and daddy gets his pension...even after tampering with evidance--a felony for a citizan
    Report: Cop drinking before fatal accident | WTNH.com Connecticut

but not all cops are same; this is true

lets find the leaders, but we have to go to state prsion to find the Governer, actually the last 2 of them and the last 2 mayors of Hartford. but they are in good company--i think there are 5 others from Bristol and Waterburry.....do locations matter as much as it seems that the job causes them to be criminals?

seems no matter how you are entering the job, the position converts you; you are assimiliated by 'the way we do things'

those who are honest, those who do not let the system eat them, change them--get out after one term or as police i have known, usually before their 5th year.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I guess dum dumb wasn't using self defense hollow points. Had he been, it might've stopped the round but I must say there was stupid involved.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

If people would keep there booger picker off the bang switch these types of incidents would not happen. LE, Mil, or civilian, it doesnt matter. Follow the dam safety rules.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I lean towards what Claude said,but for a somewhat different reason, not that his reason is essentially spot on.

I just don't like making big deals over things when it is not really necessary. ND like auto accidents happen.
    They are almost always the result of someone doing something they should not have done, but we don't have enough jail space
    to deal with everyone who causes an auto accident in which another gets harmed. We let the civil system take care of most
    of that stuff. A true ND, is a "learning experience." Thank your personal deity no one got harmed and move on.
    it is a truth that if you break ONE rule that results in a discharge than no one gets hurt and as Hopyard says i bolded--ua learn

its when you break 2 ( or more ) rules that blood may flow.
    think on it--one rule may change the color or your draws; 2 may make someone run red.

run the permeatations....there are 4 rules and there is some wiggle room.
    students have asked why not 3 rules and i have them to tell me which to eliminate. we 'play' this game till the light goes off for them.
    4 rules are needed has always been the final conclusion. it allows that people are imperfect.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

I'm betting he was playing with his gun,possibly evendrawing and dry firing it,reloaded it and forgot he loaded it as he picked it up holstered it then drew and pulled the trigger getting a boom instead of a click,lied about how it fired so he wouldn't get in trouble if the gun"just went off"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here's a thought....... How many of us drive a vehicle like the day we took our road test. Just saying.....

Yes firearm safety is the number one priority........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links