Groundskeeper Fired after finding a Gun

This is a discussion on Groundskeeper Fired after finding a Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Story is here In short, grounds keeper finds a gun hidden in weeds, waits until cops drive by to turn it over, they never drive ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Groundskeeper Fired after finding a Gun

Story is here

In short, grounds keeper finds a gun hidden in weeds, waits until cops drive by to turn it over, they never drive by, so he takes the gun and turns it in at the local PD.

Cops say "good job" but employer (Wayne County Department of Public Services) fires him for possessing gun on work time/grounds.

(If this is running somewhere else, please delete this post).
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

That's just nuts, I guess in this day and age no good deed goes unpunished. I hope this guy gets his job back.
    I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!
    - Rambo, John J.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    John Chevilott, who is just two years shy of retirement, found the loaded snub-nosed revolver on May 3 when he and his crew were mowing a lawn in Wayne County.
    I bet you that they just didn't want to pay for his retirement and fired him. What a sad event..... I would hire him if I had a business.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Sorry MI guys, but yet another reason why I hate Detroit! Bureaucratic idiocy at its finest!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Unless there is more that we aren't being told, I have a feeling Mr Chevilott is about to come into a nice retirement fund.
    shooterX, aznav and GunnyBunny like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Unless he is licensed, he is actually lucky the police were cooperative. They could easily have accused him of unlawful
    possession and perhaps theft of the weapon in the first place. Let no good deed go unpunished.

As for his employer, brainless is the only possible description. The 2 years to retirement sounds like something you'd more
    likely see as motive among a private employer than a public employer. This is just blind rule following with no brains being
    applied to the situation.
    shooterX likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yeah. I'm sure it is police SOP for them to hassle a citizen who finds a weapon and turns it in to be hassled. He could have left it for some child to find or a criminal who would use it to make the LEO work load increase. I'm also sure that the police didn't think about that either.

I hope the guy gets a good lawyer and sues the pants off this employer. They deserve it.
    tkruf likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Why would you tell your employer? I have a feeling that they just "used" the situation to fire him. That way the union wouldn't or couldn't back him up. JMO..
    goldshellback and msgt/ret like this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

"so Chevilott finished his work that day, drove the gun home and later that same evening turned it into his local police department."

You would think he would have known better... we call this tampering with evidence or tainting the chain of evidence

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Chevilot should be given his job back & his corrupt boss fired.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Sorry MI guys, but yet another reason why I hate Detroit! Bureaucratic idiocy at its finest!
    Not a Detroit problem. This type of thing can happen anywhere at anytime.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Having been a union rep in county government I am not surprised at all. They will appeal his dismissal of course but I would guess his chances are at best 50-50. With budgets being what they are this guy just gave the county a big present. They can replace him with new guy that is going to cost them half as much in salary and benefits right now and will probably be in a defined contribution retirement plan instead of this guys defined benefit plan. If they can avoid paying this guy for breathing for then next thirty years they will.
    If they have a zero tolerance policy for weapons he is toast.
    You don't wait for the police to wander by on something like this. You notify your supervisor and and either you call the police from the scene or (preferably in front of witnesses) ask your supervisor to do it.
    This guy literally just gave the county about a million dollars.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    "
    so Chevilott finished his work that day, drove the gun home and later that same evening turned it into his local police department."

You would think he would have known better... we call this tampering with evidence or tainting the chain of evidence

I call it "securing the gun" so that someone without a clue didnt shoot themselves or someone else by accident.
    Its not evidence...unless it suspected of being used in a crime, its just lost property that is found by someone.

As for"knowing better" he did what most of us here would have done. He secured the gun, then called the cops. They didnt come to get it, so he took it home and then turned it in.

He got fired for doing the right thing.

Zero Tolerance policys are made for people that are too stupid to use common sense.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Story is here

In short, grounds keeper finds a gun hidden in weeds, waits until cops drive by to turn it over, they never drive by, so he takes the gun and turns it in at the local PD.

Cops say "good job" but employer (Wayne County Department of Public Services) fires him for possessing gun on work time/grounds.

(If this is running somewhere else, please delete this post).
    without knowing all the facts of the matter it appears that this is a case of bureaucratic idiocy
    Spirit51 likes this.

This is a prime example of doing the right thing isn`t alway the best thing to do. I hope the guy gets a lawyer and sues the crap out of his employer.

If I would have found the gun and it was something nice, I would have kept it.
    gigamortis likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links