Connecticut man charged with killing black bear

This is a discussion on Connecticut man charged with killing black bear within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Waterbury CT last year 11 feet from the back porch....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Connecticut man charged with killing black bear

VIP Member
    Waterbury CT last year 11 feet from the back porch.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ccman; May 17th, 2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Spelling.

2. Remove Ads

I assume that's your former bird feeder in his paws?

What part of Waterbury?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Waterbury CT last year 11 feet from the back poarch.
    It's nice that you were able to "enjoy" it from such a great distance. Nice pictures.
    ccman likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Baby bear about 5 feet from my window. Wife was outside being chased by the mommy bear (actually, mommy bear did a bluff charge at her)babybear.jpg

I live in VT. There are, for the most part, no weapons possession laws here. You can carry, NO PERMIT, out in the open, anywhere anytime. I have a few canines and walk them, as any other owner does. They are my children. I mentioned to a friend of mine in RI today an event that took place in my yard two days ago and that is how I heard about the CT man shooting the bear. In VT the Fish and Game Police (Like CT has the DEP) have told me I am not allowed to shoot a bear, period. On Tuesday at 1400 Hrs. I was walking both of my canines. After the walk I brought them back in the house. I shut the door and something caught my eye. I looked outside and Momma Bear and Baby Bear were in my back yard. I was armed to the teeth and had an X-26 with spare cartridges (3) in my possession. I have lived here 3 years and have been advised that Momma Bear is COMING FOR you if cub(s) are with here. I have been told that an attack is almost guaranteed under these conditions. With that in mind, the Bear will not be allowed to attack either of my Canines without a response from dad, me. I will, without hesitation, unload any and all ammunition on the adult bear. I DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN, but I am not allowing an attack. After the rounds are gone I will transition to my knife and die there if I have to. I know what non-canine owners are thinking and say: you do not get it and will not get it until you have canines of your own. I have -0- to brag about, I train very often and I am skilled with both pistol and long gun. I am a certified firearms instructor with and member of (as required) the NRA. I do not care about getting arrested and charged should I shoot this animal because the law is just idiotic. A few days ago in Vernon, VT a woman was walking her canine. A Momma Bear and Baby Bear appeared, the canine, doing what they do, advanced on the bears to protect mom. The woman ran as the canine died at the paws of the bear. I am not having it. That is all.
    HotGuns likes this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Actually the Momma bear will do normally do a bluff charge of you are not in between the mommy and the kiddos. They seldom will attack under thos circumstances. If you are in between then all bets are off.

Keep bird feeders out of reach or take them down in the summer, keep pet food inside and never outside, and keep your trash picked up. If you want or need more ideas, call the Colorado DOW and ask them for copies of their "Living with Bears" brochures. It is not brain surgery. In fact, go here:

Living with Bears in Colorado*

You owe it to the bears to help keep them safe and away from human contacts that generally are disadvantageous for them.
    ccman likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I assume that's your former bird feeder in his paws?

What part of Waterbury?
    The Waterville area of Waterbury. That is the Girlfriends bird feeder/place, She took it in after that. I repaired it and She put it back out there.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Keep bird feeders out of reach or take them down in the summer, keep pet food inside and never outside, and keep your trash picked up. If you want or need more ideas, call the Colorado DOW and ask them for copies of their "Living with Bears" brochures. It is not brain surgery. In fact, go here:

Living with Bears in Colorado*

You owe it to the bears to help keep them safe and away from human contacts that generally are disadvantageous for them.
    Thank You.

VIP Member
    Forgot about these, this was near my house Candlewood Lake area in CT. Summer 2010.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Keep bird feeders out of reach or take them down in the summer, keep pet food inside and never outside, and keep your trash picked up. If you want or need more ideas, call the Colorado DOW and ask them for copies of their "Living with Bears" brochures. It is not brain surgery.
    With all due respect, the Mid Atlantic isn't Colorado.
    Frankly, bears don't belong living in NJ/CT towns and suburbs.
    We live in right in town and yet had a couple of very large bears hanging out in our yard one afternoon last year.
    They're pushing into densely populated areas because there are way too many of them.
    Bears are powerful and unpredictable...they don't belong the suburbs where you have kids and pets everywhere...period.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    We live in right in town and yet had a couple of very large bears hanging out in our yard one afternoon last year.
    They're pushing into densely populated areas because there are way too many of them.
    Bears are powerful and unpredictable...they don't belong the suburbs where you have kids and pets everywhere...period.
    I have a account in Cranbury NJ off of NJTPKE exit # 8a and there was a bear around there in the evenings last year. It's a built up area.

Well, I don't know if you are on the side of killing a bear becasue he is in the neighborhood. But let me just say this:more people are mauled/maimed/ or just plain frightened of dogs every year than bears. Black bear deaths are extremely rare as well as bear attacks. Should we start shooting every dog that is not on a leash. By folks analogies we shold. They could be unpredictable and be a nusicance. Look, if your life is in danger then of course you need to defend yourself. But I am not going to kill a bear that is wandering through my neighborhood that is no threat. All I have to do is bang on my door and they run off.

Really? I do believe you are correct - I just referenced the information I had at my finger tips. If they had good info in Bangladesh I would have included that link. I was not comparing Colorado to the Garden State or any other MA area. Or Bangladesh.

I agree completely with you. If I understand, NJ and the MA area also have some significant over-populations of deer causing significant traffic problems. Same problem there, other than deer are less dangerous to pets and people (other than traffic accidents).

We have the same problems in Colorado Springs, Denver, the Air Force Academy, Ft. Carson, and many other populous areas. The CO DOW recognizes that is an ongoing management matter.

Has anyone lobbied for A Spring Hunting Season? A longer Fall season?

So..........What is your suggestion?

And:

So............I went and read your first post too, to which I had not responded:

Here in the Northeast...Jersey, NY, CT, MA, etc. black bears have become a real nuisance.
    They'll settle down in a suburban neighborhood and make the nightly rounds... garages, porches, bird-feeders, trash bins, etc.
    You have to keep everything locked up like Fort Knox.
    What is wrong with keeping picked up? Coons, skunks, bears all like trash and bird-seed and dog and cat food - so by leaving this stuff out and available you have just created the "All You Can Eat Buffet" for the wild ones. Is something wrong with being responsible yourself and doing your share? You are creating disease contacts and vectors that were not present prior to human contact. And, we all recognize, the coons, skunks, foxes and the like may carry Rabies.

IMO, this sort of bear should be treated no diffferent than pests like racoons, skunks, wood chucks, gophers, etc.
    I don't understand all the rabid sentimentality over bears.
    I agree. Many bears are executed out here if they fail to stay "relocated" and return to their old habits. A fact of life. Learning to live with them as humans just minimizes the "bad" contacts".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links