Connecticut man charged with killing black bear

This is a discussion on Connecticut man charged with killing black bear within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I can't help but wonder how you are supposed to enjoy the bear from a distance when it is in your garage? Connecticut man charged ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Connecticut man charged with killing black bear

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Connecticut man charged with killing black bear

I can't help but wonder how you are supposed to enjoy the bear from a distance when it is in your garage?

Connecticut man charged with killing black bear | Fox News

Is is illegal to have a handgun in Conn? Is the act of killing the bear in self-defense enough to make his possesion of the handgun criminal?
    That's a pretty intense felony for shooting a wild animal in your home. Maybe we are missing info, but sounds like PETA brainwashed a few LEOs to me.
    Walk softly ...

2. Remove Ads

Not illegal, but without a CT pistol permit you can't step outside your house of business with a handgun, unless it's boxed/wrapped as if for shipping. However, it's possible the guy had other disqualifying reasons which made possession a felony.

I have to wonder if the circumstances of the shooting were completely legit; most folks who'd kill a marauding bear would at least call the cops and let them know, but in this case a neighbor made the call. Possibly a too-nosey neighbor?

The other thing is that the CT DEEP has its own set of unwritten rules. I love their COs individually, but the organization holds on to some pretty rigid rules and beliefs which fly in the face of reality. Case in point, for years the DEEP claimed there are no big cats (mountain lions ) in CT, period, case closed, in spite of sightings and photos to the contrary. Then last year a mountain lion was killed on a state highway close to the CT shore, in a suburban area! Along the same lines, I think shooting bears is a big no-no in their book, and a couple of years ago they put the screws to an old man who shot a bear that was attacking his dog. "Enjoy the bears from a distance" - like across the width of my garage? Sure... let's see what the DEEP Chief would do in a situation like that!
    Cory1022 and ccman like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I just have a feeling the man jumped the gun (sorry, bad pun). In his yard and then his garage? Sounds like he could have been safe in the house. I would hate to shoot an animal needlessly. I posted a few weeks ago about a bear and my dog getting into a fight. I didn't shoot for various reasons.Bear attack

I do carry a 44 Mag just in case needed and would use it. But I try to give the animal a chance to get away if at all possible.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    If I did that in my state (OK) I would be good to go. Black bear in my garage (which followed me there?) No brainer.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not illegal, but without a CT pistol permit you can't step outside your house of business with a handgun, unless it's boxed/wrapped as if for shipping. However, it's possible the guy had other disqualifying reasons which made possession a felony.

I have to wonder if the circumstances of the shooting were completely legit; most folks who'd kill a marauding bear would at least call the cops and let them know, but in this case a neighbor made the call. Possibly a too-nosey neighbor?

The other thing is that the CT DEEP has its own set of unwritten rules. I love their COs individually, but the organization holds on to some pretty rigid rules and beliefs which fly in the face of reality. Case in point, for years the DEEP claimed there are no big cats (mountain lions ) in CT, period, case closed, in spite of sightings and photos to the contrary. Then last year a mountain lion was killed on a state highway close to the CT shore, in a suburban area! Along the same lines, I think shooting bears is a big no-no in their book, and a couple of years ago they put the screws to an old man who shot a bear that was attacking his dog. "Enjoy the bears from a distance" - like across the width of my garage? Sure... let's see what the DEEP Chief would do in a situation like that!
    I think you about got it spot on as usual. Can't have it outside the house without the license and DEEP's interesting way of
    looking at the world. Some of the health districts, sanitation, and building codes too just make lots of sense if you live in
    Stamford or Bridgeport or New Haven, but no sense whatsoever for the rural sections. At least my town's got it mostly together except for the way property tax appeals are handled.

As for wild life in general, I would think there's no telling what's in most of the rural undeveloped property. I've seen "cats"
    I didn't think looked like ordinary feral house cats drinking out of a barrel 80 feet from my front door. I am guessing Bob Cat, but don't really know. Doubtful on the Mt. Lion, but you never know; and I didn't get a good luck.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 16th, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling no to know
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    "...faces charges of illegally killing the animal -- a misdemeanor..."

Just think, the state will use tax dollars to hire an attorney to represent the bear. I wonder if they'll use the "my client was drunk and at the wrong house by mistake" defense.

AAArrrrgggghhhhhhh...
    Hopyard and kmagnuss like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    "...faces charges of illegally killing the animal -- a misdemeanor..."

Just think, the state will use tax dollars to hire an attorney to represent the bear. I wonder if they'll use the "my client was drunk and at the wrong house by mistake" defense.

AAArrrrgggghhhhhhh...
    It happened in Sweden:Drunk Swedish Moose Found Stuck in Tree | Fox News

Drunk Moose Found in Sweden.jpg

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Those "Swedes" just can't handle their liquor.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

heh... we've had the same thing for years here in VA with the DGIF(Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries). Nevermind that a few thousand people saw the same 2 cats I saw as they ran across the darned football field during a game in Fairfax.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Here in the Northeast...Jersey, NY, CT, MA, etc. black bears have become a real nuisance.
    They'll settle down in a suburban neighborhood and make the nightly rounds... garages, porches, bird-feeders, trash bins, etc.
    You have to keep everything locked up like Fort Knox.
    IMO, this sort of bear should be treated no diffferent than pests like racoons, skunks, wood chucks, gophers, etc.
    I don't understand all the rabid sentimentality over bears.
    kmagnuss and Hopyard like this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    This guy, at the outset is being railroaded.

He needs to have a wildlife group to come and help represent him in this foolishness.
    I for one, wish him luck.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It's an animal. Some people put more value on an animal's life than a human life. I'd like to put a black bear in that "DEEP representatives" garage. Wonder how he'd like it if one was in his garage when his wife or kids went in there to get in the car. Maybe he'd tell them to "enjoy it from a distance". You can't fix stupid.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Moderator
    More stupidity from Public Officials. Who'da thunk it?

Another example of no common sense being used. A bear in the garage...what do they expect you to do, pet it?

Part of the problem is that touchy feely mama earth lovers are saturating our National Forest Services, our state Game and Fish, and anything else that has to do with the outdoors and most of them dont have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot. Yeah, they all have college degrees, but lots of them are little more than educated idiots.

Charging a guy for shooting a bear that is a nuisance and then taking his gun reeks of incompetance. If you arent smart enough to figure that out, you dang sure dont need to be in any kind of "enforcement" cabability. I'm getting tired of reading about people in high places with no common sense.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Boy this brings back memories. I shot a bear a few yrs ago that was chasing my horse. The state of Maryland wanted to string me up !

Shoot, shovel and shut up.
    gigamortis and DontTreadOnI like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links