UGLY: Woman shoots, kills grandson

This is a discussion on UGLY: Woman shoots, kills grandson within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This occured in a very affluent suburb. Not much info to go on yet. Grandmother shoots, kills grandson at West Bloomfield home...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: UGLY: Woman shoots, kills grandson

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

UGLY: Woman shoots, kills grandson

This occured in a very affluent suburb. Not much info to go on yet.

Grandmother shoots, kills grandson at West Bloomfield home
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    When I read the title of this thread I originally saw it as Ugly Woman shoots, kills grandson and I was wondering why the fact that she was ugly played into it. Then I saw the colon. <lol>

On a more serious note, not a good thing to happen but, from the limited info on the story, it may come out that it was necessary depending on what went down.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like a troubled grandson.

We just had the grandson of some folks here in Iowa, shoot and kill them. Told friends he drugged them... apparently, the "drug" was lead, administered from the barrel of a handgun.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Well, my grandson is about to turn 1. Cute as can be, so I won't be worried for quite a while.

On a serious note, heart goes out to the families involved.

Not enough out yet to make an armchair judgement-call yet, but my opinion has taken a rough form though............
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

This is a classic case of a young man needing a MAN to smack him down and teach him respect. you don't hit your grandmother or even make her feel threatened to the point she needs to grab a gun and shoot her own grandson.

In my day if you EVEN raised your voice to your mom much less your grandma you put in your place
    carracer and Spirit51 like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Situation similar to Trayvon Martin. Trouble in school, no anger control, not with custodial parent. Terrible situation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Jon was a senior at Central Farmington High School, an alternative school. Police were called to the home in March for a domestic dispute.

"The grandson had many issues," said Sabbota. "I think that will come up."
    Question will be, was it a verbal argument and she shot him, or did he actually do something or act in such a manner as she felt her life was in jeopardy, or in fear of great bodily injury.

He has 3 bad indicators already : 1) living with grandparents, 2) in an alternative school, 3) there's been one domestic dispute in the past ..... as a background. But a "dispute", does not equate to violence either. If it was just a verbal confrontation, then she will have problems.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    A little more info, but still not enough to determine why she killed him.

West Bloomfield grandmother charged with open murder in grandson's shooting death | news - Home
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Father
    "I'm not saying he was aggressive, but if he was, I don't understand how being aggressive but unarmed would justify her using deadly force," Michael Hoffman said
    That statement seems to be what a lot of people think. It can be true, or it may not be, depending on the situation. Someone can dole out deadly force with their hands, depending on them, their recipient's size and health, and that can put the disparity of force possibly back into the use of a firearm. But whatever happened here will probably not be fully known until the trial (just like another incident we are well familiar with). But maybe additional details will come out and it may be that she was guilty of murder. Only time will tell.

Hoffman was shot eight times...
    Sounds like she emptied the magazine from the .40 into him. Not a good sign for claiming self-defense.
    Last edited by accessbob; May 21st, 2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add additional
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Sorry for the Off Topic bit but I mistakenly read the post as Ugly Woman shoots kills grandson. A lot funnier than the actual post.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Sorry for the Off Topic bit but I mistakenly read the post as Ugly Woman shoots kills grandson.
    So did I (see my first post in the thread):
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob
    When I read the title of this thread I originally saw it as Ugly Woman shoots, kills grandson and I was wondering why the fact that she was ugly played into it. Then I saw the colon. <lol>

On a more serious note, not a good thing to happen but, from the limited info on the story, it may come out that it was necessary depending on what went down.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Sounds like she emptied the magazine from the .40 into him. Not a good sign for claiming self-defense.
    We are taught to shoot until the threat stops, so im not bothered by the round count. What bugs me, is, what it takes to shoot a family member. Either grandma was off her rocker, or junior was doing something, or about to do something to her, that she felt no other choice in doing what she did...

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    That statement seems to be what a lot of people think. It can be true, or it may not be, depending on the situation. Someone can dole out deadly force with their hands, depending on them, their recipient's size and health, and that can put the disparity of force possibly back into the use of a firearm. But whatever happened here will probably not be fully known until the trial (just like another incident we are well familiar with). But maybe additional details will come out and it may be that she was guilty of murder. Only time will tell.
    I agree. If the kid was physically aggressive to the little old lady, it could well have been a threat to her life. Shooting him 8 times isn't really a major factor either. She just wanted the threat to stop. Since the kid called for his own ambulance...he still had some life left in him. It will be interesting to see the out come. She should be prosecuted on her "intent"....did she shoot him because he made her mad OR did she shoot him because she feared for her life.

Here is one thought. Why didn't the parents take him out of that home after the conflict in March? I can't believe that it was just because of school. If it was...one of them should have come back and stayed there to watch this 17 year old young man who did drugs and was out of control on at least one occasion. They need to take responsibility for their inaction. Leaving a small elderly woman to deal with a out of control youth was irresponsible on their part.
    goldshellback and stancehold like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    We are taught to shoot until the threat stops, so im not bothered by the round count. What bugs me, is, what it takes to shoot a family member. Either grandma was off her rocker, or junior was doing something, or about to do something to her, that she felt no other choice in doing what she did...
    Yes, but as the article pointed out it was her NEW .40 which she used. I read that as a good chance that she hadn't even been to the range yet to feel comfortable with it. And, if the kid didn't have any weapons, emptying a mag into someone can lead investigators to believe that anger was a major player. But as we know, we don't have the full picture and anything we discuss here is almost all speculation, especially given the lack of information.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links