Houston: CHPer locked in during robbery, shots fired, clerk dead

This is a discussion on Houston: CHPer locked in during robbery, shots fired, clerk dead within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Unidentified Store Clerk, Shot Either by Robbers or Man with Concealed Handgun, Bayou Body Count No. 61 - Houston News - Hair Balls A clerk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Houston: CHPer locked in during robbery, shots fired, clerk dead

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Houston: CHPer locked in during robbery, shots fired, clerk dead

Unidentified Store Clerk, Shot Either by Robbers or Man with Concealed Handgun, Bayou Body Count No. 61 - Houston News - Hair Balls

A clerk at the Dollar General store ... was shot and killed last night, and police say they are unsure if the fatal shot came from robbers or the customer with a Concealed Handgun License who also opened fire.

The store was just closing at 10 p.m. when two men entered and began demanding money from the clerk.

"One of two customers inside the store attempted to leave and noticed the suspects had locked the door," HPD says. "The male customer, who has a concealed handgun license, pulled out his weapon and exchanged gunfire with the suspects. During the exchange of gunfire, the female victim was struck and killed."
    Apparently another news source states the robbers fired first, per a commenter to this news item.

The two men... "black males," then "fled the scene in the customer's rented vehicle, a 2012 four-door Toyota Camry with Louisiana license plates N238302."
    Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
    There was also another robbery of a Dollar General the same day in the Houston area where the clerks were tied up.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes they should wait to publish these stories untill they have certain facts in order.

Working at a Dollar General is a pretty sad existence to begin with.

Maybe, someone losing their life in the ever common D.G robbery will finally motivate the dull people running that company to hide the big metal box with the money in it.

"There are no menial jobs, only menial attitudes."
    --William J. Bennett
    Charles07 and Dennis1209 like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

here is a different article that says the chl holder was trying to leave. our sympathy goes out to the family

Relative: Family Dollar clerk 'loving person' | khou.com Houston

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Sad. However and whatever the results of this tragedy, I would like to be armed if caught in a situation where the BGs locked the exit. God Speed to the clerk.

Quote Originally Posted by nti06 View Post
    Sometimes they should wait to publish these stories untill they have certain facts in order.

Working at a Dollar General is a pretty sad existence to begin with.

Maybe, someone losing their life in the ever common D.G robbery will finally motivate the dull people running that company to hide the big metal box with the money in it.
    I refuse to agree that working in a dollar store is a sad existance. The victim is just that a victim. It seems a person who did what she could to survive. She was honest enoigh to work at what ever job she could find. Some people may consider my exsistance a sad one because I work with my hands and make less than six figures. Well pal some of us are just fine with who we are. What is sad in my opinion is ... Never mind.

Well... The armed citizen was IMO within his right to defend himself, and his friend. At the point the robbers detained them from leaving the ante was upped to kidnapping, and in his shoes I'd assume that there's a very good possibility that we would be exicuted...

I hope, if the defender shot the clerk, the law allows the perp to be charged, and not the defender.

On another note, last night I read of a DG robbery in Tenn where the Police Chief was shot. Didn't say if he was shopping or responding.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    This may be the case where we get to see of civilians are criminally liable for the errant rounds they fire.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    This may be the case where we get to see of civilians are criminally liable for the errant rounds they fire.
    Texas law is quite clear on that. We are.
    Texas Statutes - Section 9.05: RECKLESS INJURY OF INNOCENT THIRD PERSON
    Even though an actor is justified under this chapter in threatening or using force or deadly force against another, if in doing so he also recklessly injures or kills an innocent third person, the justification afforded by this chapter is unavailable in a prosecution for the reckless injury or killing of the innocent third person.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Texas law is quite clear on that. We are.
    I never had any doubt, but thanks for the statute.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Was it Family Dollar or Dollar General?, each story is different.

I hope it was not the bullet from the concealed handgun that killed the clerk. In the adrenaline filled moment of defending one's life their aim may not be great.

I always go armed into dollar stores and convenience stores.

Update, it appears the round that killed the clerk did come from the CHL weapon, but there is very little information.
    Arrest made in deadly shooting of clerk at Family Dollar store | abc13.com

Well guys, don't have all the facts but, with the situation described, the law needs to be changed to also charge the armed robbers with murder. As most of you know, many states will also convict the accomplices of murder simply by association. The death of the store employee would not have occurred without the robbers actions.

An article stated it will be presented to the grand jury. If you guys were on the grand jury, how would you vote?

This situation gives me something to really think about. My attitude has always been I would never pull my gun unless it was a potential life or death situation for me or my family. Scumbags come in to rob a place with customers everywhere and start shooting. Naturally you're not going to be aware where everyone is, the adrenaline is pumping, you're in fear for your and family members life, your hands are shaking, you have cotton mouth.

Unfortunately, I believe the CCW'er is going to be responsible for where that bullet ended up.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I believe the law should punish obvious reckless discharges but the robbers should be charged with murder if the shot was mostly on target, accidental/incidental to the gunfight without reckless disregard, or the clerk moved into the path of the bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links