Bad: No more Mr. Niceguy, or Nicegal...

This is a discussion on Bad: No more Mr. Niceguy, or Nicegal... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, a good Samaritan finds an Iphone that was dropped in a convenience store. She calls the owners to return it... And gets a beating ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Bad: No more Mr. Niceguy, or Nicegal...

So, a good Samaritan finds an Iphone that was dropped in a convenience store. She calls the owners to return it... And gets a beating for doing the right thing... Lovely... Just lovely.

It really stinks when the world won't let you do the right thing.

Is the only reasonable defense today to stay at home to ourselves? Never do a kind thing, like help someone with car trouble, or return lost property? It's getting downright depressing "out there."

You can't return the Iphone with your gun in your hand... "Here's your phone. Where's my reward?" (that'd make you a criminal)

Sigh....

Story here
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Moral of the story is....................Mind Your Own Business.
    Sorry......but if it doesn't belong to me I don't touch it.

she did the right thing just to the wrong people...should be easy to find them, IPhones are not throw-away’s so there has to be an account

One commenter mentioned that they never return things to individuals, but will tell the person that they are taking it to the police station and that they can pick it up there. That's a pretty good idea, even though it may be even more work.

It is a shame what society has become.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Sheilded Holsters Double Phalanx

Found a phone once while jogging next to the road.............picked it up and delivered it to the local PD.............they asked all kinds of questions about where I got it from......my lesson learned.

Ah, do-gooders. You almost have to feel sorry for them.

Reminds me of an episode of Futurama where the crew had the mission of delivering some iffy cargo to a dangerous planet. Fry said, "Why don't we just throw it in a ditch and say we delivered it?" Bender, the robot, followed with, "Why don't we just leave it on the dock and say we threw it in a ditch?"

I'm Bender.

Bender.jpg.

VIP Member
    Should not keep you for doing a good deed.
    Moops likes this.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    If you feel the need to do a good deed, turn it in to the local PD. They'll ask questions, but then take it from there.
    lyz_grace likes this.

How about a text message to the owner: "Found your phone. Leaving it taped to the underside of the bench at the corner of 9th and Main."

I agree that stories like this should not preclude one from performing good deeds when able.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Man,
    I just glad I live where I do; Florence, SC!

A few years ago, my phone fell off my belt clip while I was getting into my car. When I got home I had a message that someone found it. I called my wife & she went to pick it up.

A lot of people talk trash about the south. But, I would put up the friendliness & hospitality I experience here up against ANY other place on the planet.

-
    WHEC724 likes this.

You sent your wife to meet persons unknown?

I have no further comment. That says it all.
    packinnova likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    My wife dropped her iphone while we were in Disneyworld. I was the last one she had called, so they called me back. She had not realized she dropped it, we headed back and met up with them to get it back.

It would have ruined her trip, a lot of our pictures were on there, they cost a lot, and it made us all feel better that someone did the right thing and my wife got her phone/life back. We were verrrry gratefull.

I will not cease to do what is right because there are stupid people out there, and I would hope that those around me would feel the same. Will I take precautions when meeting strange people? Of course, but I still try to live by the golden rule.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    How about a text message to the owner: "Found your phone. Leaving it taped to the underside of the bench at the corner of 9th and Main."

I agree that stories like this should not preclude one from performing good deeds when able.
    So... You'd send a text message to the owner's phone? The one you found? I'm confused.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

So, a good Samaritan finds an Iphone that was dropped in a convenience store. She calls the owners to return it... And gets a beating for doing the right thing.
    It's a commendable attitude to have a desire to see a marked/labeled item returned to the rightful owner. Though, there's nothing saying that a given person personally be the one to do the handing over of the item. Far safer to simply have the store staff (or police) make contact.

On the couple of occasions I have found such an item, I brought it to the attention of the shop staff and assumed they'd take it from there. Of course there wasn't any guarantee the items got back to the owners, but there certainly wasn't any absolute requirement that I personally had to be the one handing over the items.

IMO, the rightful owner's objective isn't the only objective in such a situation: the security and safety of everyone involved is just as important, too. Win/win ... without safety being compromised through blind trust.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"No good deed goes unpunished!"
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links