Road rage leads to shooting - Page 2

Road rage leads to shooting

This is a discussion on Road rage leads to shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Both riding motorcycles and concealed carry have improved my situational awareness. I kind of grew up riding dirt bikes but didn't switch over to street ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Road rage leads to shooting

Both riding motorcycles and concealed carry have improved my situational awareness. I kind of grew up riding dirt bikes but didn't switch over to street bikes until much latter in life. When I did I was amazed what a better driver I became. It is imperative to be alert, watch other drivers and always try a have an escape route in mind. At least that's my take. The same holds true now days. I pay attention to my surroundings, watch people more closely, scan groups ahead and in general avoid iffy situations. Situational awareness either way.
    Spirit51 and rolyat63 like this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Now that he's chased the ole geezer down and showed him a thing or two I'll bet he feels much, much better
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    If you ride long and far enough it will happen many times. You simply cannot chase down every idiot that thinks it's funny to cut you off, hit his brakes or swerve into your lane for fun nor can you chase down everyone who does not see you and does the exact same thing.

There is not a lot of information from the report but I think Mr. Harley rider thought he could intimidate and older gentleman and then decided he could go all out and physically attack him, guess he was wrong. As someone stated don't mess with old folks. We are to old to fight, damn grumpy most of the time and started carrying a gun when you still had to know how to shoot it before you could carry it.

I guess this also says a lot about the .380. A shot to the shoulder ended the altercation, did not say incapacitated, killed, ripped off an arm, I said ended the altercation and hurt the guy enough that the victim could leave the scene. If any of us were in the place of the guy driving the car we would have done the same thing had the motorcyclist approached, confronted and then attacked with our family in the car.
    Like we always talk about, Pain compliance. Most people do not want to stand there and take multiple shots from any kind of a gun.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I drove 700 miles yesterday...and 700 the previous weekend. I saw a lot of idiots, numbskullers, left-laners, wild drivers, Mario Andretti wannabes, etc. A vast majority of people on the road are people you don't want to be close to on the road, much less off the road. Avoid conflict, even when driving, and you'll make your life easier on yourself. Ancient Chinese proverb: "Man who drive like Hell bound to get there."
    Spirit51, l1a1 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Most drivers do not look out for motorcyclists and do not give them the same respect they would give someone with a F250 or something. This will never change, and as annoying and irresponsible as it is, anyone who has a bike needs to learn to let these things go instead of escalating the situations.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

When you get to a certain age (65 or so) fighting or retreating are no longer options when there is a confrontation. Thus, anyone confronting someone of age better bÍ prepared for consequences if that someone is armed. It's just the way it is. The motorcyclist is very lucky to be alive, IMHO.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Biker dude's wife got cut off......... emotions are high. Confrontation at that point ain't a good idea.

Older man with his wife and 9yo grandson in the car gets assulted at the next stop light. Grandpa has a gun.

Yeah the biker-dude got lucky. I dunno MO's specific SD and road-rage laws but I'm thinking biker-dude 'might' end up getting charged here..... maybe.
    Leaving the scene and dialing 911 ASAP is considerably more advisable than leaving and then later turning yourself in me thinks. Getting into any kind of a confrontation on the roads these days is playing with your life.

If grandpa was 'boxed in' then fighting his way out was a no-brainer. I'd try to drive off if at all possible, but that chance may not have been availible to grandpa. Either way, this is a case where it seems the first to call 911 'wins' the initial aftermath.
    Spirit51 and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I agree with some of the other posters. Riding a bike takes a certain mindset. I like the " they are all trying to kill me" regarding cars. I ride very defensively , as it is pretty much I get hit I get hurt

Sent from my 300 baud modem

I belong to a bike forum where this is talked about all the time. Most of the folks posting there talk like internet tough guys proclaiming how all drivers are intentionally trying to kill them. They then proceed to tell others how to retaliate by throwing steel bearings, nuts and bolts or even chasing down the offender to yank them out of their cars for a proper beating. I take most of it as internet bravado.
    The trouble comes when others read this and think that if they want to be a real biker they need to act this way. I'd like to meet the fellow biker that has never done something stupid while riding their bike. I'd like to meet a biker, who when driving his car, has never accidentally cut another vehicle off. If the story is true grandpa did the right thing. I doubt the biker came up to his window to ask directions or exchange recipes.

Michael
    Spirit51 and tcox4freedom like this.

I have a friend, co worker, fellow CCW permit owner and yes, motorcycle rider. We have had the discussion about people who encounter motorcycle riders on the road, and there are several thoughts about it.

First, some riders are difficult to see when they ride for various reasons. Some automobiles are not easy to see out of with numerous blind spots and yes, many drivers are unaware of motorcyclists. They really would not endanger the life of anyone on a bike on purpose. Some motorcyclists do not know how to ride very well and put themselves in danger.

There are bikers who think that they are the only ones on the road and everyone should be constantly looking out for them, every driver is 'out to get' them and the whole world is guilty already of any infraction. They also carry, and will confront those who may have done something to them on the road. Much like the idot in this story, and he got what he deserved, in my humble opinion.

Yet, not every vehicle driver is a maniac when it comes to cyclists and vise versa. It is a two-way street. People need to be more aware of those who ride motorcycles and the bikers need to understand that not everyone driving a car is their enemy.

I had an incident on I-55 south with a couple of guys riding "crotch rocket" type bikes. I pulled out to pass a semi, there were two more of them up ahead driving almost neck-in-neck. Suddenly, out of nowhere, one guy passed me on the right, swerved in front of me at nearly 100+ mph and almost tagged the front of my Toyota pickup. Scared the living crap out of me. My wife just pulled in a deep breath, it was so fast, she could not even warn me.

The second rider passed the semi on my right and proceeded to ride his bike right between the two semi's just up ahead. I had never witnessed such behaviour from persons riding motorcycles. My wife called 911 to report the nutcases, gave our mile marker location. The 911 opperator told my wife that several calls had happened and the State Police were attempting to stop these guys.

I was hoping that they would not cause an accident and kill innocent people. We heard no more about them, but I looked out for any motorcycle the whole trip home to West Virginia.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; May 27th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Wonder if this guy is still around?
    Black Devil - Moscow Ride on R1 - YouTube

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Wonder if this guy is still around?
    Black Devil - Moscow Ride on R1 - YouTube
    Riding like that can get you a new position, as a hood ornament.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Riding like that can get you a new position, as a hood ornament.
    hood ornament= +15 horsepower
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Sorry, but it wasn't very smart to follow & then confront the driver - nevermind turning that into an assault. Follow him if you must, but while calling the police to report a possible drunk driver who almost hit you & your riding companion. Report the car driver's location & be available to give details to the police...better than a trip to the hospital & a stay in jail.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

As a rider my SA is on high alert when riding. I anticipate every car on the road to cut off or turn in front of me. I try to have a way out for everything on the road. Theres lots of times when there just is no way out so you have to trust other drivers. Make sure they know your there. Loud pipes can save lives! Back when I was younger I did carry 1" bearings and kicked a few doors but in hind sight that was dumb in every case. 99% of the time the car didn't see you. A high percentage of those times the driver was distracted or didn't look close enough if at all. Ride safe, cars will win every time in an accident. But I think a good blast on the horn to let them know they are stupid is a good thing. If they flip you off then steely thier windshield!! J/K, just ride off because your alive and maybe the clown will be more careful. Never be an aggresser...and carry365!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links