Road rage leads to shooting

This is a discussion on Road rage leads to shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One shot in alleged road rage incident | ksdk.com A car driven by a 65-year-old grandpa allegedly cuts off two motorcyclists, a 49-year-old husband and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Road rage leads to shooting

Road rage leads to shooting

One shot in alleged road rage incident | ksdk.com

A car driven by a 65-year-old grandpa allegedly cuts off two motorcyclists, a 49-year-old husband and his wife.

The car exits the highway, passes through the off-ramp and turns left onto the adjoining street, then stops at the next stoplight.

Both motorcyclists also exit the highway. At the stoplight where the car is stopped, the 49-year-old male confronts the driver of the car.

Police say during that verbal exchange the motorcycle rider began physically assaulting the car driver.
    The driver, who was armed with a .380 caliber semi-automatic pistol, fired one shot, striking the motorcycle rider in the upper left chest or shoulder.
    The driver left the scene and later turned himself in to the local police station.

The motorcyclist's wound was "not expected to be life-threatening."

What is not included in the article, but was reported on the local news, was that the driver was still sitting in his car when the assault began. No mention of whether the car was boxed in or not.

One t.v. station reporter said the car driver had been arrested, but the police spokesman said the decision on whether to charge the car driver has not been made yet.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I've confronted drivers in cars who have intentionally cut me off while driving my M/C, then went up to them and asked if there intention was to kill someone today? wait for a response then leave...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I totally understand the "fear factor" of when a auto does a stunt that endangers a motorcyclist. Most of the accidents I have seen involving each was the auto's fault. BUT what is the point of following and confronting them. Most of the time it ends in violence. There is a certain "Adrenalin dump" with a close call (especially with the wife involved) and that leads to problems.

The auto driver may have been driving with his head "where the sun don't shine" and not even realize his offense. When some guy confronts him and starts to assault him...what do you expect him to do....that is if he can't drive off.

Unless you are following to get a license number to report to the Police...what exactly is the point? If you report it, it is his word against yours. How far is that going to get.

IMO, the best thing to do is move on and count your lucky stars it wasn't worse.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    IMO, the best thing to do is move on and count your lucky stars it wasn't worse.
    It's happened to me and I know that no good will come from a confrontation. Nothing they say is going to make me feel better; because either it was intentional and they're a crappy person or it was unintentional and they're an idiot.
    Just is what it is

The article also say's the nine yr old grandson was in the car. Sorry may have been bad driving on the part of the car but very bad judgement on the part of
    the motorcyclist in my opinion.
    Spirit51, Bark'n, mlr1m and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    I have cut a rider or two off myself but it has always been because they chose to hide in my blind spot. When I used to ride I made it a point to ride where I could see the driver in his mirror, then if he at least bothered to look he would see me.
    Spirit51, Sig 210, reade and 6 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Going up to the car and asking if he intended to kill some one today might be a bit risky. What if he says,why yes I do and pulls out his hogleg and lets you have one right in the kisser.
    Spade115 and tcox4freedom like this.

Cut off or not, you don't follow a sixty-five year old, confront him at his car window, and then put your hands on him.
    Based on the info given, the younger aggressive motorcyclist should count himself lucky to be alive on two counts.OMOYMV

I'll be interested in the 'Update on this story'...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 27th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Bark'n, Spirit51, tkruf and 7 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Dont mess with old farts...

Any time a driver follows someone and approaches it is a continuation of road rage. That he then started assaulting is bad.

Motorcycles sometimes are hard to see., all you bike riders out there need to be aware of this and assume the other driver doesn't see you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bark'n, Spirit51, tkruf and 5 others like this.

Self Defense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    If you ride long and far enough it will happen many times. You simply cannot chase down every idiot that thinks it's funny to cut you off, hit his brakes or swerve into your lane for fun nor can you chase down everyone who does not see you and does the exact same thing.

There is not a lot of information from the report but I think Mr. Harley rider thought he could intimidate and older gentleman and then decided he could go all out and physically attack him, guess he was wrong. As someone stated don't mess with old folks. We are to old to fight, damn grumpy most of the time and started carrying a gun when you still had to know how to shoot it before you could carry it.

I guess this also says a lot about the .380. A shot to the shoulder ended the altercation, did not say incapacitated, killed, ripped off an arm, I said ended the altercation and hurt the guy enough that the victim could leave the scene. If any of us were in the place of the guy driving the car we would have done the same thing had the motorcyclist approached, confronted and then attacked with our family in the car.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Don't mess with old farts...

Any time a driver follows someone and approaches it is a continuation of road rage. That he then started assaulting is bad.

Motorcycles sometimes are hard to see., all you bike riders out there need to be aware of this and assume the other driver doesn't see you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^THIS is how we used to ride^^^^^^^^^^

I don't have the time or energy to ride anymore,but when we did you stayed ever vigilant and watched out for and tried to anticipate what the cars were going to do, and give them a wide enough berth. Usually we rode in pairs or more, and all had a sort of system of watching.
    It almost seems as though today, some bikers almost try to make a situation out of something, by either driving too close, weaving in and out/speeding and no indicators.

Hopefully the moron on the motorcycle will fully recover, and the grandpa will not be charged, as long as that is how it went down.
    Spirit51 and tcox4freedom like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Stupidity follows stupidity. I always tell my rookie drivers to cultivate an active belief in karma. Responding to every discourtesy on the road could be a full-time occupation.
    mano3 and RayBar like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The M/C rider was the aggressor and got capped... I bet if it was a younger man he wouldn't have been so eager to assault him… it’s hard to see an M/C in a side view mirror so getting cut off happens more often than you think ….. it didn’t say but I be the guy on the M/C was drinking at the time
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Is the old grumpiest like this one?
    Attached Images
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links