Bad: this morning's home invasions

This is a discussion on Bad: this morning's home invasions within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Guys, I'm getting really tired of this... it's a never ending story... Why won't the people protect themselves? Home invasion #1: Man struggles with intruder, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Bad: this morning's home invasions

Guys, I'm getting really tired of this... it's a never ending story... Why won't the people protect themselves?

Home invasion #1:
    Man struggles with intruder, wife pulled from bed by hair...

Home invasion #2:
    Man enjoys a nice evening on his porch... two men and a woman walk by, ask for money. Denied, they just waltz right in... ~7:30 PM

And this one is just plain STUPID... (and not from the USA) In Australia, a young lady was helping her granny go through granny's "personal belongings" which included, apparently, a large sum of cash... "Honey Bunny" (my own name for the idiot G'daughter, stolen from Pulp Fiction) posted a picture of said large sum of cash on Facebook! Shortly thereafter, the BGs show up, and want some of the money..

Anyway, here's That Story

I get a lot of these stories everyday thanks to google news alerts, which sends all of these links to stories to my email... And, I cull the most pertinent ones to post here. Frankly, I'm thinking of shutting it off... At some point you have to wonder if the rest of the world is insane... or just insanely stupid.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    OK...I'm on the lookout for two men wearing masks and hooded sweatshirts.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Home invasion #2 is why I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CARRY! I carry when I'm sitting on my front porch reading in the evening. I carry when I'm working in my garden. I carry when I'm doing yard work. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CARRY!

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Guys, I'm getting really tired of this... it's a never ending story... Why won't the people protect themselves?

Home invasion #1:
    Man struggles with intruder, wife pulled from bed by hair...

Home invasion #2:
    Man enjoys a nice evening on his porch... two men and a woman walk by, ask for money. Denied, they just waltz right in... ~7:30 PM

And this one is just plain STUPID... (and not from the USA) In Australia, a young lady was helping her granny go through granny's "personal belongings" which included, apparently, a large sum of cash... "Honey Bunny" (my own name for the idiot G'daughter, stolen from Pulp Fiction) posted a picture of said large sum of cash on Facebook! Shortly thereafter, the BGs show up, and want some of the money..

Anyway, here's That Story

I get a lot of these stories everyday thanks to google news alerts, which sends all of these links to stories to my email... And, I cull the most pertinent ones to post here. Frankly, I'm thinking of shutting it off... At some point you have to wonder if the rest of the world is insane... or just insanely stupid.
    mano3 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Me too, they should be easy to spot in the high heat and humidity we're having here right now.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Time for someone to start interviewing grand-daughter's Facebook "friends" me thinks...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I agree with Rollo on "Home Invasion #2"; ALWAYS carry, even at home. Plus, it is so rare for me to have visitors of any kind (unexpected ones that is) that if I were on my porch and unknowns came walking up, I would have my gun out. Seeing them boogie away, I think my suspicions were confirmed. Anyway, here in Oklahoma we have the Castle provisions -- someone walks in your house uninvited, its weapons free time.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member
    RE: #1 - If I hear the door crashing in from someone breaking in, the .45 is going to be out of its holster and ready for target acquisition immediately.

RE: #2 - I carry all the time while at home now too. And I'm getting the wife used to it. She either is wearing it or has it on the table next to her. You never know these days who will try what.

RE: #3 - Facebook has gotten a lot of people in trouble. If you use it, be extremely careful what you post.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Anyway, here in Oklahoma we have the Castle provisions -- someone walks in your house uninvited, its weapons free time.
    Let me prefix this by saying that I absolutely, 100% positively agree that in a home invasion situation it should be this way. The case depicted in number 2, however, causes me to pause. According to the article, he followed them in. I could this this raising several questions about placing yourself into harms way much like if there were a suspected burglar in the house. I could see the case being made that castle doctrine, etc don't apply and that by knowingly and actively engaging the perpetrators that the home owner committed murder. I don't agree with that assessment, but I could see it being made.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Let me prefix this by saying that I absolutely, 100% positively agree that in a home invasion situation it should be this way. The case depicted in number 2, however, causes me to pause. According to the article, he followed them in. I could this this raising several questions about placing yourself into harms way much like if there were a suspected burglar in the house. I could see the case being made that castle doctrine, etc don't apply and that by knowingly and actively engaging the perpetrators that the home owner committed murder. I don't agree with that assessment, but I could see it being made.
    However, if there are others of your family in the home, following the intruders in to protect the famliy members would be my first thought.
    Last edited by accessbob; May 29th, 2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: pronoun replacements
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Big dogs and guns... Always carry...
    goldshellback likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I don't carry my dogs...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    OK...I'm on the lookout for two men wearing masks and hooded sweatshirts.
    Oh no. That would be profiling! For shame. Why would you use a reasonable tool of identification like that. Are you trying to stop the down trodden criminals from using you and your family like toilet paper?

Brought to you by the PC Police.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    It is one or the other. My Basset is over 50 lbs. I can't carry both. Hey, How about this. I BUY a HUGE dog and ride it armed.

I know, I know....everyone likes a little a$$, but no one like a smart a$$. (from my Fire Department days.)
    mano3 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Now on a serious note. If native attitude can be fixed...one of the first two incidents should do it.

As far as face book. I am a new comer to it and only use it with family and a couple of close and old friends and I am still careful about what I post.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Well, if Granny has any more loot, I'll give you one guess who Ain't getting any of it.

Ignorance left unchecked, as Glockman wuld say.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links