Strange: Woman shoots carjacker, get 20 years

This is a discussion on Strange: Woman shoots carjacker, get 20 years within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have to find more details on this one. Woman gets 20 years in 2010 fatal shooting | The Montgomery Advertiser | montgomeryadvertiser.com Edit: It ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Inspector71
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By accessbob

Thread: Strange: Woman shoots carjacker, get 20 years

Strange: Woman shoots carjacker, get 20 years

I have to find more details on this one.

Woman gets 20 years in 2010 fatal shooting | The Montgomery Advertiser | montgomeryadvertiser.com

Edit: It wasn't a carjacking, but an argument over a car jack...

Still, it's another self defense case in Montgomery that went in favor of the perceived aggressor.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I fear it is situations just like this that causes too many gun owners to leave their gun in their holster just a tad too long in defensive situations. Gasp! What should I do?? I might go to jail!!! BANG!! Lights out.
    Crowman likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Here is a good case where pepper spray would have defused the situation and avoided a 20 year jail term
    Spirit51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Prosecutors, however, argued that Johnson was the only one involved in the altercation armed with a gun and therefore posed the only serious threat.
    That is so wrong on just so many levels. Just because you are the only one with a gun, that shouldn't immediately infer that is the only serious threat. I'm not saying she was justified or not in it, as I don't know all of the details. But it really does seem to be a bad argument that just because someone has a gun and uses it that they were the only serious threat.
    mano3 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I avoid conflict as much as humanly possible. I would much rather call the LEO to settle property disputes. If it is just dribble (he said she said or "no you didn't....yes I did") type stuff...just walk away. Wait until cooler heads prevail. If some stranger yells a insult or flips the "bird"....I just blow it off and move on. What are they to me? Engaging in arguments sometimes goes into fights...fights go into fearing for your well being....if you are armed...it could escalate into a shooting situation.

First thing they will ask in court, "Why didn't you walk away...you knew you were armed. YOU escalated it, knowing you had the means to stop it permanently". It is NOT worth it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Links