Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot

This is a discussion on Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Dennis1209 Tell me about it! My ADT alarm system went screaming off at 3:00 A.M. a couple weeks ago. The Sheriff's Deputy ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Tell me about it! My ADT alarm system went screaming off at 3:00 A.M. a couple weeks ago. The Sheriff's Deputy got here fast (25 minutes) but listening to my police scanner, he had to call dispatch to get directions to my house. Along with a fire emergency that's one disadvantage of living in a rural area.
    Been there and totally understand that.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    In a statement the Mesquite Police Department said in part, "the man and his family were in no immediate danger. Firing a warning shot was unnecessary and reckless."

Police also questioned why Nye didn't first call 911.
    While I certainly do not condone the use of a 'warning shot', I bristle at the unqualified comment about this man & his family being in no immediate danger. They seem to be calling that one without having witnessed it. As to the questioning why he didn't call 911, a simple answer could be "because 911 just doesn't cut it when someone's a-breakin' in!"

To be fair, I feel that he should have had the wife call 911 before he made any decision other than arming himself. Open the door & say "Get out, the police are on their way!" Then, sit inside by a window & watch the perimeter while you get updates from the wife.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links