Bath Salts.....Synthectic Halluncinogenic

This is a discussion on Bath Salts.....Synthectic Halluncinogenic within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The drug suspected in the Miami Face Eating Attack....... Miami Cannibal Attack: Horrific Dangers of "Bath Salts" Drug | Yahoo! Health...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Bath Salts.....Synthectic Halluncinogenic

Bath Salts.....Synthectic Halluncinogenic

The drug suspected in the Miami Face Eating Attack.......

Miami Cannibal Attack: Horrific Dangers of "Bath Salts" Drug | Yahoo! Health
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Who are the "brain trusts" who dive under the sink or in the garage and start ingesting, inhaling or injecting any substance they can find? Some one has to start these stupid trends. Sheesh.
    RayBar, l1a1 and lordofwyr like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I think I got my first brief on this stuff about 5 years ago when it was hitting rural America. I think it's been out a bit longer in the inner-city. Continues to amaze me what people will put into their bodies. Worse, some idiots think it's funny to dose strangers, and even kids with stuff like this. Candy, shoelace packs, buttons, you name it. Guys that can't find enough gumption to get a job show all sorts of creativity and effort doing crap like this.

Teach your kids/grandkids to be smart, watch their drinks at parties (or even just a restaurant or pub), and learn early to follow the Three Stupids rules!

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I think I got my first brief on this stuff about 5 years ago when it was hitting rural America. I think it's been out a bit longer in the inner-city. Continues to amaze me what people will put into their bodies. Worse, some idiots think it's funny to dose strangers, and even kids with stuff like this. Candy, shoelace packs, buttons, you name it. Guys that can't find enough gumption to get a job show all sorts of creativity and effort doing crap like this.

Teach your kids/grandkids to be smart, watch their drinks at parties (or even just a restaurant or pub), and learn early to follow the Three Stupids rules!

OK I'll bite. What are the Three Stupids Rules??
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Don't go stupid places or do stupid things with stupid people.

Alternatively, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My Dad told me the stupid rule when I was a teenager:

1) Don't hang around with stupid people.
    2) Don't go to stupid places.
    3) Don't do stupid things.

I can't say that I always followed those to a T back in the day, but it was always lurking around in the back of my mind when I was in the midst of doing one of them. Over the years, it resonated more and more and I began to employ the wisdom of them on a much more consistent basis. Now, more than ever, I stick to them like glue.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Wow, I'm really out of touch. I was wondering what soaking in a bathtub with anything in the water had to do with changing your behavior or making you crazy. Am I right to assume that these idiots are ingesting the bath salts?
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Who are the "brain trusts" who dive under the sink or in the garage and start ingesting, inhaling or injecting any substance they can find? Some one has to start these stupid trends. Sheesh.
    I think they should just drink the Drano and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Wow, I'm really out of touch. I was wondering what soaking in a bathtub with anything in the water had to do with changing your behavior or making you crazy. Am I right to assume that these idiots are ingesting the bath salts?
    No, "bath salts" is a code name, based on a tricky scheme to sell drugs legally. The chemical compounds in these "bath salts" are nothing like your standard smell-good stuff. They've been compared to PCP, meth and cocaine among other things. Mephedrone is a fairly common component, which is a synthetic chemical in the amphetamine family.

The reason for the "bath salts" name is that mephedrone was only re-discovered within the last few years and was a legal grey area. What the dealers did was to package it as "bath salts" and label it "not for human consumption." This allowed them to market it as something other than a recreational drug and mostly get away with it.

The big problem with this stuff is unlike other drugs which are fairly self-regulating, despite their legal status, "bath salts" is rather ambiguous. When you buy cocaine, you get cocaine. When you buy weed, you get weed. There are street names for every drug, but all those names mean the specific drug still. When you buy "bath salts" there's no real guarantee what's in it. "Bath salts" isn't a street name for a drug, it's a street name for a random concoction of stuff that's marketed in a certain way to try to get around the laws. The manufacturers can put in the basic components, then throw in whatever garbage they want. A similar problem exists with another legally-grey drug called "Spice". It's marketed as incense or for other aromatic uses, not for smoking. On the package they generally list several herbs which supposedly mimic the effects of marijuana. What's been discovered when studies were done though is that often the herbs listed aren't even in there. The manufacturers just throw in whatever they think will work. Herbs, plant compounds and other chemicals. Therefore the users of both "bath salts" and "spice" don't really know what they're getting. Because of that some people just get a mild high and some people eat their buddies.

The danger in the stuff is not that it's necessarily more dangerous than any other one drug, but that there could be anything in it. It's completely unpredictable in both the health effects, the mechanism of action and the psychoactive effects and behaviors caused.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    It's odd how these incredibly harmful poisons that inspire such evil behavior also have an addictive quality to them.

It's an attribute that I'd describe as 'demonic'.

I think we can safely say it is virtually impossible to legislate away every dangerous drug concoction. As you make additional substances illegal, then some enterprising folks will find new and creative ways to get around those laws and still make money "legally" (even though these types of substances clearly are morally and ethically WRONG).

There's no easy solution, but if I was calling the shots - I'd legalize and regulate pot (just like booze). I'd much rather see folks smoking pot than smoking/using meth, crack and bath salts. And I think the vast majority of drug users would be satisfied with pot, and less tempted to try these crazy new drugs. I do not buy into the whole argument of pot being a 'gateway' drug. When I was in college back in the 70's, we all smoked pot, and never once did anyone pull out a needle or anything and say, "gee, let's try some heroin".

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    FROM ARTICLE;

The New LSD, But More Dangerous
    Banned in several states, bath salts contain amphetamine-like chemicals that have uniquely hazardous effects on the brain. “If you take the worst attributes of meth, coke, PCP, LSD and Ecstasy and put them together, that’s what we’re seeing sometimes,” Mark Ryan, director of the Louisiana Poison Center, told The New York Times.

^IN bold above^^^^^^^^^

Is chilling, startling and downright scary, that people will do this to themselves.
    Personally, I never understood the concept of smoking, injecting, ingesting anything that could alter my mind as such to put it in a psychotic state.
    I drink, but not to the point of getting hammered.
    I drank as a young fool, sometimes to excess, but those days are long gone.

This article further reinforces the notion of staying ever vigilant for the signs of this in the people we come in contact with, either on a daily basis, or even on the street casually, to make sure you are not the next victim.
    Old School and joker1 like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Personally, I never understood the concept of smoking, injecting, ingesting anything that could alter my mind as such to put it in a psychotic state.....

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I drink, but not to the point of getting hammered.
    I drank as a young fool, sometimes to excess, but those days are long gone..........
    Is "drinking" not "ingesting"?

I'm not trying to bust your chops. Just showing how easy it is to get a little confused when trying to criticize other folks for trying to 'alter' their minds in some way. Fact is, the vast majority of folks on this forum probably have a few drinks here and there, including me.

Peace

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

paaiyan has it right. In fact, I believe in many states you can buy this stuff in a head shop, often with semi-legit-looking packaging. But you really don't know what you're getting. Back in the day, the drug contamination problem was that you'd get a poisoning from whatever someone was using to cut the coke/heroin/whatever, or maybe you'd get a user who was used to getting a cut-rate stash and somehow got into the pure stuff, put out his normal dose, and OD'd. With this stuff, you don't know what you're getting. Stim/Depress/Halluc... botox... drain cleaner...?

Put weird stuff in the human body, and it's likely to do weird stuff.

We have had a steady increase in our area of people ingesting, smoking, shooting and generally being dumb with this crap and who knows what else in a attempt to get a high or feel good, you would not believe somethings that people will attempt to try and get high and what results: hallucinations, delirium, paranoia, extremely high heart rates, massive adrenaline dumps resulting in excess strength. They often require significant doses of medication to sedate them and often end up quite sick, kidney and liver failure, etc. It's a significant problem. 10 years ago I would see a heroin OD that got some stronger stuff from someone they didn't know(always know your dealer), maybe someone who's heart exploded from too much cocaine, or someone who smoked some weed and freaked out, with the occasional PCP or meth freak thrown in for good measure, Unfortunately now people will take just about anything in any combination to get high.
    http://www.erowid.org/
    http://www.streetdrugs.org/
    Erowid will blow your mind....
    Sent from this... Using that...
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links