Ha Ha - Oakland CA first-ever gun buyback fizzles - 12 Guns! Duh!

This is a discussion on Ha Ha - Oakland CA first-ever gun buyback fizzles - 12 Guns! Duh! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; By Megan Taros 3:54 am June 3, 2012 On Saturday (June 2, 2012), the Oakland Police Department set up the city’s first ever gun buyback ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ha Ha - Oakland CA first-ever gun buyback fizzles - 12 Guns! Duh!

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

Ha Ha - Oakland CA first-ever gun buyback fizzles - 12 Guns! Duh!

By Megan Taros
    3:54 am
    June 3, 2012

On Saturday (June 2, 2012), the Oakland Police Department set up the city’s first ever gun buyback in a Caltrans lot in Fruitvale.

The net recovery? 12 guns.

OPD Lt. Blair Alexander, in charge of the buyback operation, told the Trib he was disappointed in the lack of support it received.....

..............Oakland residents had donated $10,000 to help with the gun buyback effort.

..............Those who surrendered guns received $100 and could give away up to two firearms. (the OPD pocked the rest of the donated cash - just kidding, or not?)

...(snip)...

100 mothers had a 'Peace Walk'..........................

ATF agents told Oakland Mayor Jean Quan that buying guns in Oakland was easier than anywhere else. Another buyback is set to take place in August or September.

My comments: 'Denial' is a river in Africa!

More at SFBay: Oakland’s first-ever gun buyback fizzles - SFBay
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Bad timing with the zombie apocalypse that is slowly emerging.

People are going to want to keep their stuff.
    ANGLICO and Spade115 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Really, does anyone in Oakland own a gun ? Just asking... and would they show up and admit it ?
    ANGLICO likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

****** if I had known I have a busted up old 22 not worth 50 bucks I could have pulled a profit. Whoa wait that would have meant going down to Fruitvale in downtown Oakland? Nope no thanks not for $400 bucks per gun.
    ANGLICO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Really, does anyone in Oakland own a gun ? Just asking... and would they show up and admit it ?
    Nice sarcasim! You win a Kupie Doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    ****** if I had known I have a busted up old 22 not worth 50 bucks I could have pulled a profit. Whoa wait that would have meant going down to Fruitvale in downtown Oakland? Nope no thanks not for $400 bucks per gun.
    You win two Kupie Dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    You got that right for sure. The fruitvale area is a real low life scumbag area. I used to work in that area many years so I know first hand how bad it is there.

[QUOTE=ANGLICO;2278821]By Megan Taros
    3:54 am
    June 3, 2012

On Saturday (June 2, 2012), the Oakland Police Department set up the city’s first ever gun buyback in a Caltrans lot in Fruitvale.

The net recovery? 12 guns.

OPD Lt. Blair Alexander, in charge of the buyback operation, told the Trib he was disappointed in the lack of support it received.....

..............Oakland residents had donated $10,000 to help with the gun buyback effort.

..............Those who surrendered guns received $100 and could give away up to two firearms. (the OPD pocked the rest of the donated cash - just kidding, or not?)

...(snip)...

100 mothers had a 'Peace Walk'..........................

ATF agents told Oakland Mayor Jean Quan that buying guns in Oakland was easier than anywhere else. Another buyback is set to take place in August or September.

My comments: 'Denial' is a river in Africa!

More at SFBay: Oakland’s first-ever gun buyback fizzles - SFBay[/QUOTE

the good news is that the anti-gun Oakland residents who donated their money towards the buyback are now $10,000 poorer.

When is CA breaking off from the rest of the US again?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Well, obviously the effort was worth it, "we got 12 dangerous guns off the street! We win!" <--------------sarcasm.

Twelve? That's all?

Most likely they were useless as a gun anyway, but to the anti's, this would be a victory under any circumstances. The more "buy backs" happening the more giddiness they feel each time a "gun" is taken "off the street" and out of the hands of people.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Do zip guns count? I can use an extra $200
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

they should have set up in front of walgreens... that seems to be where all the gun action is

I bet all 12 guns don't even work

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    worse than ua think.....

with so few guns turned in its near impossible for those running the show to .....ah, relieve a few of the nicer ones from the bin.

in Hartford 3 years ago they counted on camera 87
    than at the police evidence room there were 82
    and than at the furnace, again on camera to show the guns being melted into a manhole cover,
    the announce says "thats 77 guns off the streets..."

the next year they only 'lost' 3

funny sic that the news did not do a story on the missing guns
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    the good news is that the anti-gun Oakland residents who donated their money towards the buyback are now $10,000 poorer.
    Haha, so true. I wonder if these same people are going to toss away their cash for a second time when Oakland attempts to do this again. I doubt that $10k pool of cash will be around by that time.

Don't they usually pose for a picture of their score spralled out on a table. I'd like to see what these 12 guns look like. No doubt the typical bannana clipped semi-auto uzi machine pistols shooting hollowpoint exploding armor piercing bloody talon cop killer bullets were so used to reading about from the typical news sources.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links