Good - Gun Ranges Host Kid Birthday Parties, Causes Major Outcry from Upset Parents

This is a discussion on Good - Gun Ranges Host Kid Birthday Parties, Causes Major Outcry from Upset Parents within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Posted: Jun 06, 2012 6:26 PM PDT Updated: Jun 06, 2012 8:36 PM PDT KYTX - East Texas News EAST TEXAS (KYTX) -- A Texas ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Good - Gun Ranges Host Kid Birthday Parties, Causes Major Outcry from Upset Parents

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

Good - Gun Ranges Host Kid Birthday Parties, Causes Major Outcry from Upset Parents

Posted: Jun 06, 2012 6:26 PM PDT
    Updated: Jun 06, 2012 8:36 PM PDT
    KYTX - East Texas News

EAST TEXAS (KYTX) -- A Texas gun range that plans to host birthday parties for children as young as 8 is getting national attention. It's also causing a major outcry from some upset parents.

...(snip)....

"I've shot firearms since I was probably four."

And they're starting their children young too. The Moores just celebrated their 8 year old's birthday here at Lone Star Gun Range with six of their son's budding marksmen buddies.

"It's another tool they have to make them strive in whatever they want to do."

Sandy Billingsley has owned this gun range for more than five years. She says she hosts birthdays for young shooters regularly.

"They're not allowed to just run around like it's a party," she said.

...(snip)....

Some Central Texans say they just can't understand why parents would want their young children to handle live firearms.

My comments: 1) I think these are responsible parents who understand, as mine did, that teaching safety and use, at the youngest age leads to responsibility and thinking later in life, 2) Come On, this is in TEXAS. I thought every Red Bloded Texan (mind a few from Austin where I know some Progressivly Bent Wack Jobs - business relationships, not friends) were 1 million % of individual freedom and self reliance (meaning teaching the young'ins early on firearms).

Read the whole thing at: Gun ranges host kid birthday parties, causes major outcry from u - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports
    preachertim likes this.

2. Remove Ads

For older kids, those five or older, that are supervised, I don't see an issue. Understanding firearms, and to be taught to respect them at an early age makes it so those kids will grow up as part of the gun club that will most likely never hurt anyone with a firearm. Understanding the tool, and respecting what it can do makes all the difference in the world.

Some people just need to stop worrying about things that don't affect them.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Where are the people who believe in education. Oh just not that kind . I think it is Great.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Good for Texas!
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Causes Major Outcry from Upset Parents
    I missed the part where it said every child was required to attend these parties by rule of law, or else.

Eye catching headlines they seek.

Any reasonable person that has all the info would not have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Future generations of shooters, and future generations of antis are being created. Im glad to see parents getting there kids involved in the shooting sports....
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would say it is probably safer than Chuck E' Cheese's where kids could get lost, catch nasty sicknesses from the gross toys, or could be kidnapped. I love the idea, well supervised location, teach responsibility and safety, probably a lot cheaper than any other party location you could rent out (as long as they are only shooting .22s).
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Walk softly ...

I thought I started a post about this earlier, maybe I put it in the wrong spot. Oh well...Either way I think this is fantastic and would love to host something like this for my son's 9th birthday in about a years time if I could find a place that would do it.

The outcrying ones that denounce the introduction of firearms to our young children certainly don't fit in the Texas lifestyle.

sgb
    My kind of range.
    scgunlover1 and W9HDG like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Texas. 'Major outcry' on supervised, fun introduction of kids to firearms. Strange there'd be any ruckus at all, what with it being Texas.

Seems like a wonderful idea. Win/win, from the perspective of entertaining the kids and that there can be safe, sane and fun things to do with firearms.

I'm surprised that many parents are dishing up a "major outcry." After all, a parent is the one who is charged with providing/withholding permission to attend such a thing in the first place. It's not as though little Johnnie's going to be hauled off against the parents' will to attend a 'party' at the range.

Can't imagine a better way to introduce kids. At a formal range setting, there's every opportunity for heavy numbers of range-knowledgeable folks (range officers, even if temporarily brought into service for the event), close one-on-one instruction for every kid who's not already familiar with things. For the average kid, I'd think this is a far better choice for a first-timer than, say, heading on a hunting trip and being surprised to see Bambi get downed.

I would love to have had such an intro, as a kid. Mine was at 10yrs of age out in the fields with cousins who laughingly showed me the 'joys' of a double-barrel 10ga shotgun. Nailed the coffee can, I'm happy to say, but the spinning can was the last thing I saw as my feet left the ground and spun up in front of my line of sight. My shoulder was sore for days. Cousins. Bless their little hearts.
    W9HDG likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My kids have been range certified from age 4. We have always made it a point to take who ever wanted to go

SDG
    Kid's birthday party at the range? I love it!

Shoot the tail off the donkey is loads better that the old pin the tail game. I think the kids will enjoy it way more!!!
    ANGLICO and W9HDG like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links