Good?: Outcome okay... weird reportage

This is a discussion on Good?: Outcome okay... weird reportage within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Somebody in a standoff... home invasion... warning shots... intruders scared off? I dunno... weirdly written story. You can sort it out: Here...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Good?: Outcome okay... weird reportage

Somebody in a standoff... home invasion... warning shots... intruders scared off? I dunno... weirdly written story.

You can sort it out: Here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    After reading that story two times it makes no sense at all, I really have no idea what the “reporter” was trying to say.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    After reading that story two times it makes no sense at all, I really have no idea what the “reporter” was trying to say.
    Good to know... I was afraid it was my beer goggles...
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

If she writes a book, I'll pass!
    shooterX likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    actually we are all having been exposed to her writings as the instructions she codes from Indian to Chinese at English
    for together how to put the things we buy at wal-mart china made some assembly required.
    bamas' gurl, she iz good, no?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    She got her big smiling face pictured with the article. That's what the media is all about today isn't it? To heck with the story, I gotta get my name and face out there! After all, it's all about ME - ME - ME!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

While that call was being made to dispatch the dispatcher heard a shot being fired. We come to find out that the first shot was fired as a warning shot by a resident of the house," said Sackett.

When the SWAT team went inside, the suspects took off.

So the BGs were still in the house when SWAT arrived? How can they say it ended with the warning shot?

Report like Yoda they do.

I think I almost had a stroke reading that.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Inspector 71... I can read that article... I'm wondering who I should thank... I mean, it's in English. I can read it. I can't understand it... is your list missing someone else who might be responsible for comprehension? Am I failing to understand your sig line, too? Is this early onset old timer's disease?

Yes Yoda. Right, you are. There, a warning shot was. A resident, that shot made. Boogie men, it scared off, it did. Or maybe no boogie men there were, to begin with, and the woman too many bath salts consumed, perhaps.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    With the onset of old timers disease, reading comprehension will NOT be the first thing to go
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    With the onset of old timers disease, reading comprehension will NOT be the first thing to go
    Whew! That's a relief! I was getting worried there...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    That is yet another proof in my theory that the news agencies are hiring 3rd graders to write their online stories and they refuse to outlay any money to ensure that the stories have been proof-read.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

It sounds like SWAT fired a warning shot because they were afraid to go into the basement???
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Great example of why print media is dramatically different than broadcast. I worked as a reporter in the past and one of the first things I learned is that speech and print do not mix. It's common for a reporter to have to alter quotes for print because what was said, though it made a lot of sense in sound, did not make sense in print. I would bet she's a broadcast reporter, and the station is just too cheap to hire a proper writer.

That said, I read it once and understood what happened, it just wasn't great writing. My editor(s) would have sent me back to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by gobbly View Post
    Great example of why print media is dramatically different than broadcast. I worked as a reporter in the past and one of the first things I learned is that speech and print do not mix. It's common for a reporter to have to alter quotes for print because what was said, though it made a lot of sense in sound, did not make sense in print. I would bet she's a broadcast reporter, and the station is just too cheap to hire a proper writer.

That said, I read it once and understood what happened, it just wasn't great writing. My editor(s) would have sent me back to fix it.
    You're right, there. There is a difference between what was put on the page, and the video report. It's almost as though the written account was straight off the teleprompter, makes for lousy comprehension in reading. No excuse for it though... wouldn't have taken much to straighten it out.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links