Man Shoots Teens Trying To Rob His Store

This is a discussion on Man Shoots Teens Trying To Rob His Store within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Milwaukee, WI Police said a storeowner shot and killed one of two teenagers he said was trying to rob his Milwaukee store. Singh and his ...

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar

Milwaukee, WI

Police said a storeowner shot and killed one of two teenagers he said was trying to rob his Milwaukee store.

Singh and his wife, Devinder Singh live above the store at 31st Street and Glendale Avenue.

They said they heard noises around 1:30 a.m. Monday.

Police said the 51-year-old took his gun, went downstairs and shot at the two teenagers, ages 17 and 18.

The 18-year-old later died.

Singh was taken into police custody, but was later released.

Monday, his wife defended his actions.

"In this United States, we have the right to live our life, and we are not criminal. We are working 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. My husband he drives a semi. He works more than me. So we have the right, and we have the right to kill if someone comes on my property like that," Devinder Singh said.

Singh is scheduled to meet with the district attorney Thursday to determine whether the shooting was justified.
    Here is another one. I wonder if he gets charged.
    http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/n...s=mil&psp=news
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Not much info on what actually transpired, but I hope he doesn't have to deal with too much flak from the DA. Good luck to him.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Lead Moderator
    That story says nothing, and if he just "shot" the two teens just because they broke into the store things might go south on him down the road.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Not enough information to go on, in that brief story. Don't know whether the "store" was actually the person's residence, or whether living "above the store" means it was truly a separate place. That would affect the "urgency" of the perps' crime in terms of being a burglary vs. a robbery. Unknown whether the perps were armed, whether they meekly submitted to the man's authority or attempted to attack him, etc.

Like most places, Wisconsin law seems to require that one is limited to use lethal force in situations where one reasonably believes it's necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to onesself or others. At least according to the two statutes quoted below, Wisconsin recognizes only person crimes as justifying use of lethal force, not garden-variety property crimes (burglary, theft).

Sounds like this guy needs a good attorney right now. Unfortunately, if neither of the perps was found with a weapon and if proof isn't found that they attacked him, he might well be the one that gets hung.

939.48 Self−defense and defense of others.
    (1) A person is privileged to threaten or intentionally use force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating what the person reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference with his or her person by such other person. The actor may intentionally use only such force or threat thereof as the actor reasonably believes is necessary to prevent or terminate the interference. The actor may not intentionally use force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself.
    939.49 Defense of property and protection against
    retail theft.

(1) A person is privileged to threaten or intentionally use force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating what the person reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference with the person’s property. Only such degree of force or threat thereof may intentionally be used as the actor reasonably believes is necessary to prevent or terminate the interference. It is not reasonable to intentionally use force intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm for the sole purpose of defense of one’s property.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 13th, 2006 at 10:15 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

First things first ...The wife should have kept her mouth shut! She may well have started the fire under the kettle her husband is sitting in.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    That story says nothing, and if he just "shot" the two teens just because they broke into the store things might go south on him down the road.
    Agreed....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    First things first ...The wife should have kept her mouth shut! She may well have started the fire under the kettle her husband is sitting in.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    "In this United States, we have the right to live our life, and we are not criminal. We are working 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. My husband he drives a semi. He works more than me. So we have the right, and we have the right to kill if someone comes on my property like that," Devinder Singh said.
    You are right there, packinnova. She certainly doesn't need to tell the rest of the country what hours her husband is gone. And her comment
    we have the right to kill if someone comes on my property like that
    is phrased poorly, I would hope, due to poor English skills, and not a statement that actually says what she means.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    +1.

Going by the last name I'd hazard a guess the guy is a Sihk.

I most cases when dealing with them they are verey polite and honorable people. (Intersting that her husband also drove trucks as I might have logged him in/out of where I worked security.)

But insulting or trying to steal from or attacking them is about as smart as whizzing down a badger hole.

I do agree though the wife should have kept silent.

I concur with that one..no telling what that DA is thinking... Interviews only after any little discussions with the DA...
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

The robbers committed the crime here or so it seems to me.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Links