Bad:"Selling candy for a school fundraiser"

This is a discussion on Bad:"Selling candy for a school fundraiser" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bringing along her young son, the woman knocked on the door saying she was selling candy for a fundraiser for her boy's school. Homeowner said ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By babarock
  • 5 Post By Spirit51
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Bad:"Selling candy for a school fundraiser"

Bad:"Selling candy for a school fundraiser"

Bringing along her young son, the woman knocked on the door saying she was selling candy for a fundraiser for her boy's school. Homeowner said she didn't have any cash right now but to come back...

The woman came back... pushed her way in... twisted and broke a finger to get a diamond ring, stole a purse and a car....

Oh and by the way... she beat the two residents with a chair leg til they suffered concussions... one required 20 staples has ...

What a wonderful world... sigh.

Story here

Hmmm... are things getting worse... or are we just hearing about more bad stuff..?

another, slightly different version here
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

I just watched this one today from Mas Massad Ayoob "Don't Answer The Door!!!" - YouTube
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

This is horrible. Some criminal using a child as cover and attacking two elderly ladies. If this woman would have tried this with me....her kid would have been witness to her death. I always have my gun when answering the door. It may be under my needle work or a magazine, but it is in hand. I answered the door with my gun under my needlework one night and it was a Highway Patrolman asking about the neighbors. He never knew. The saying of "Be Prepared" is good for more than just Boy Scouts.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

If you're willing to open the door to strangers, then BE PREPARED to get robbed...
    Guest1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you're willing to open the door to strangers, then BE PREPARED to get robbed...
    or worse.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I just had someone knock on my door just this last monday night around 1030pm, looked out the window , he had stepped back about 12 feet on the walkway ,saw no one standing to either side of my front door so I opened it,I also have a metal security door locked at all times so I wasnt worried about getting attacked when I opened my front door. He was asking for someone who he thought lived here, sounded a little drunk to me, told him no and he just kept talking slurring with a mexican accent,almost every house on my block are mexicans, the rest of us(5 out of 30) are asians. so he probably was lost as to which house he wanted,my living room light was off so nice and dark inside when I opened it, so he couldnt see in. he just kept talking so I turned on my porch light and stepped outside onto the porch and again told him this was the wrong house. He saw me and got scared, said ok thank you and walked back out the fence. This is one of those times it pays to look like a scary felon who just got out of jail.haha, the rest of the time it sucks because its non stop police harassment.
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help move the bodies.

NerdyV -- Sounds like all the right steps to take, when approached at home by a stranger.

Simple precautions and circumspection can go a long way toward avoiding becoming a sacrificial sheep in such instances. You've got to have a sufficiently strong barrier to entry, such as a security door and stout framing to withstand forcible entry. You've got to play any approach as being from an unidentified person, until identity is made. You've got to be prepared to handle the potential for having been targeted. Calling the police or insurance company is all well and good, but that's for clean-up. Unless you're capable of withstanding forcible violence upon you on the instant it occurs, you might well never get to make any such call for after-incident services.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I answered the door the other night, it was late and a little unusual for someone to come-a-knockin' and I wasn't wearing a holster so I just carried my Glock to the door with me. Turns out it was my 25-YO daughter's new bf coming over to meet us. As I put the gun in the pocket of my cargo shorts I said, "Don't jump to any conclusions!" He had no doubt already jumped to a few.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Since I have retired, jumping to conclusions and pushing my luck are the only types of exercise I get anymore
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Links