Breaking News (AP): Texas Jury Convicts Raul Rodriguez of Murder - Page 4

Breaking News (AP): Texas Jury Convicts Raul Rodriguez of Murder

This is a discussion on Breaking News (AP): Texas Jury Convicts Raul Rodriguez of Murder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by accessbob The unfortunate thing is that the neighbor might still be alive if THEY had called the cops on him. But they ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Breaking News (AP): Texas Jury Convicts Raul Rodriguez of Murder

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that the neighbor might still be alive if THEY had called the cops on him. But they also felt the need to deal with the situation. I'm not saying the idiot shooter was right. What I am saying is that this situation might have been diffused if cooler heads had prevailed.
    Bob, my understanding (which may or may not be correct--I was not present) is that there was never anything about which to call the authorities until Rodriguez armed himself and went next door, with obvious plans to shoot Patrick Danaher, or someone else, before he left his house.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Bob, my understanding (which may or may not be correct--I was not present) is that there was never anything about which to call the authorities until Rodriguez armed himself and went next door, with obvious plans to shoot Patrick Danaher, or someone else, before he left his house.
    John, you're right. Bob's right, too. Bob was saying that if the neighbor had chilled out, turned off the music, gone inside and called the cops, Rodriguez would not likely have shot anyone. Given that the shooting occurred some 20 minutes after he began taping, there would have been time for the police to arrive, but Rodriguez probably would have just holstered and headed home.

My take on Rodriguez is that he was on a power trip and thought his gun was going to make the party goers bow to his power. Then he got caught because they didn't, and his ego wouldn't let him just walk away. Then one thing led to another with both sides escalating the tension. Then he got rushed, shots were fired and dead happened.

Based on the knowledge I have of what happened, I did not think he had a defense.
    Byron
    "HogDoc"

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Well I just heard he got 40-years...
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Well I just heard he got 40-years...
    I saw that on the news. He got 40 years. I didn't see this thread and started one. I hope the mods will take care of it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Texas man gets 40 years in stand-your-ground case

HOUSTON (AP) – A man who claimed Texas’ version of a stand-your-ground law allowed him to fatally shoot a neighbor after an argument about a noisy party was sentenced Wednesday to 40 years in prison for murder.

Raul Rodriguez, 46, had faced up to life in prison for the 2010 killing of Kelly Danaher. He will be eligible for parole in 20 years.

“I think it sends a clear message that this was not a case of stand your ground,” prosecutor Kelli Johnson said of the sentence.

SNIP

So much for MSM's hype that SYG laws are a get-out-of-jail-free card.

As I have said in a number of threads on a number of blog and forums, criminals have claimed self-defense forever — under statutory SYG or Common Law SYG (such as we have here in Virginia). Nothing new.

Courts typically sort it out. True, some get convicted that should not. True, others walk that should not.

However, I (for one) ascribe to the Blackstone ratio, “better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer” — English jurist William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England

IMHO, it is well and good that folk are tried in a court of law and not tried based on media coverage or commentator’s rhetoric -- such a our local SWVA columnist Dan Casey and his alleged poster boy as to why SYG is a get-out-of-jail-free card — @ http://tinyurl.com/6w5h25r
    Last edited by DaveH; June 27th, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

And now instead of Standing Someone Else's Ground like he was really doing, he will have 40 years to know what it's actually like to fear for his life. :dumbsonuva: <-- insert his pic here.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

So much for MSM's hype that SYG laws are a get-out-of-jail-free card.

As I have said in a number of threads on a number of blog and forums, criminals have claimed self-defense forever — under statutory SYG or Common Law SYG (such as we have here in Virginia). Nothing new.

Courts typically sort it out. True, some get convicted that should not. True, others walk that should not.

However, I (for one) ascribe to the Blackstone ratio) “better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer” — English jurist William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England

IMHO, it is well and good that folk are tried in a court of law and not tried based on media coverage or commentator’s rhetoric -- such a our local SWVA columnist Dan Casey and his alleged poster boy as to why SYG is a get-out-of-jail-free card — @ http://tinyurl.com/6w5h25r
    Dan Casey gives idiots a bad name. I often wonder if his story will change the day he needs something more than his computer to protect himself.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Dan Casey gives idiots a bad name. I often wonder if his story will change the day he needs something more than his computer to protect himself.
    Yup!

His reply to my posting today's story on his blog:

Rodriguez will soon be a poster boy for the NRA, who will use him as a martyr and blame Obama for the conviction and incarceration.

Comment by Dan Casey — June 27, 2012 @ 9:56 pm
    My reply:

How about a wager on that prediction?

Define “soon.” Set a wager amount.

Then within the time frame you set, show a link to such a assertion by the NRA portraying him to be a “martyr” and/or blaming Obama for his conviction and incarceration.

Comment by Dave Hicks — June 27, 2012 @ 10:13 pm
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

P95
    Better hope he can stand his ground where he is going. Good to see this nut is off the street.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I fail to see the advertising message in the shirts that read "F--- Y--!!" I've seen several of those around also. Maybe it's a generational gap thing. Profanity on T-shirts and bumper stickers just isn't my style.
    Agree, Gene83. But I notice that those who wear them have a hard time making eye contact beyond a shallow distance or small amount of time or driving very well in the case of bumper stickers. Still they drive better than the religious bumper stickers, but I digress.

A wise man once said, "In the gravest extreme". My martial arts instructor says, of 360 degrees of freedom, only one is exactly wrong. That's the one Rodriguez chose.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

It's awfully tough to be seen as not provoking someone to confrontation when you head to their home, film/record what you see, exit the home into the street demanding the other follow you ... and multiple witnesses claim you were provoking the others. (Particularly if you dare to record it all for posterity.)

From the article, some seem to think that another, complete, state-sponsored definition of "to provoke" would cure things. One would think the common definition is sufficient, though common sense ain't what it used to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links