Pennsylvania woman injured after bullet spontaneously explodes inside her purse

This is a discussion on Pennsylvania woman injured after bullet spontaneously explodes inside her purse within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Come on, Really? Pennsylvania woman injured after bullet spontaneously explodes inside her purse - NY Daily News...

Thread: Pennsylvania woman injured after bullet spontaneously explodes inside her purse

Pennsylvania woman injured after bullet spontaneously explodes inside her purse

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    In general I would have to call BS on this one. You can throw a bunch of rounds into a fire; rounds can cook off but not being in a barrel, they just kinda fizzle.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I suppose it's possible... If something managed to hit the primer hard enough to set it off... She must have been doing something really strange with her purse to get enough force to hit a primer like that.

As for the dummy mentioned at the end of the article... if you drop something on a rimfire round, you are likely to set it off.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I suppose it COULD act like a firecracker if you were close enough...
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

You need a certain amount of force on the hit. It has to be sufficient to detonate the bullet. If you don't hit it hard enough, you leave a small dent in the primer and it doesn't go off. When it does, it produces a flame into the powder which burns rapidly (it does not explode). Which pushes the bullet out the barrel. So it's BS

Oh goodie, more bs to stir up the media.

Is this another woman or just the same one talked about on the other thread. Either way....like I said on the other thread, I carry bullets in my purse too, but they are surrounded by a gun. If her idea of self defense is throwing bullets at the attacker....her tactics are sorely lacking.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The picture shows a semi auto casing, but I betcha if it really did happen it was more likely a .22 rimfire. I have heard of one case where a person put a 9volt battery in his pocket with some loose .22s. The battery's terminal shorted to one of the cartridges creating enough heat to fire the round.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Is this another woman or just the same one talked about on the other thread. Either way....like I said on the other thread, I carry bullets in my purse too, but they are surrounded by a gun. If her idea of self defense is throwing bullets at the attacker....her tactics are sorely lacking.

What, that doesn't work???
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links