FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old - Page 2

FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old

This is a discussion on FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So ... I trust this idiot ain't gonna be callin' Massad Ayoob for assistance in his defense....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old

So ... I trust this idiot ain't gonna be callin' Massad Ayoob for assistance in his defense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It sounds like the old man needs a little time to think about his actions, or more like his over reaction to the situation.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Big difference between babysitting in a house, and being out in public. Yes, a 16 year old should be responsible enough to 'watch' the kids, but that's not really what I was saying. My comment was about the way most parents these days let their kids run wild with no repercussions. Last time I was at a grocery store I was nearly run down by a 10 year old pushing a shopping cart like she was running Le Mans. All her mother did was say, in a calm, normal voice that could barely be heard 5 feet away 'stop running' and went back to what she was doing while the kid kept going. And, from what I've seen, that's usually how things go these days. Kids don't get spanked, don't get grounded, don't get snatched back by whatever the parent can reach and made to stand still and quiet when they're misbehaving. -That's what I meant by unparented. Not that the kids in the story didn't have a parent with them, just that most kids I see these days don't have parents keeping them in line.

I'm not defending the guy- what he did was incredibly wrong.
    I now see what your saying-Gotcha. Agree about "parents" that don't parent, and personally I would be very leery of a 16yo driving a 4yo around on an ATV even if that 16yo was a very trusted relative, sibling or family friend that has demonstrated good responsibility.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

No excuse for what this hot headed ol' man did...but I know that there are six kids that will learn how to make a broken U-turn in the street from now on!
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    This is most likely one of those vacation/association type subs. where the old coots believe THEY have the rights to the place, and the hell with the younger crowd.

My BIL is going through this up in Sugar Springs/Gladwin Co.

The kids were riding Polarisaris suv, and a golf cart and the old coots on the block reported it to mgt.

Funny thing is, ALL the old coots do the same thing, which is ride the suv/golf carts on the association roadways.
    They seem to think the young punks shouldn't be able to do it, but it seems its OK for them to.

This guy is way off in the deep end though.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Where I live there is a 30 or so foot public travel easement from the center of all public roads. It's what ensures that pedestrians have the right to travel on the sidewalk and walk across someone's median to access the sidewalk. So the man would be trying to enforce private property laws on a public easement and restricting travel on land accessible to the public for the purpose of travel... Defending your private property is all well and good, but you better know what is actually your private property before flexing your rights :)

Though I'm not sure how this would apply in a gated community. I imagine most HOA's have clauses that are similar to protect the rights of people who are authorized to be in the community to access the sidewalks...

Google Maps street-level view of the driveway

To help us see what we're all talking about, see below for a street-level view of the driveway in question, as seen from the passing roadway (Deerpoint Lake Drive in Panama City FL, from Google Maps. Note that Zillow also reports the property in the same spot. We're presuming news articles got the address correct.)

Two driveways are visible. Zooming in on the mailbox of the driveway on the right-hand side, it shows the neighboring property (clearly marked on the mailbox, if you use Google Maps and zoom in). The driveway on the left-hand side of the view is 4036 Deerpoint Lake Dr., which is the address the police report indicated (as per the news article). Unknown how far up that driveway area the kids on the ATV had traveled.

Birds-eye view: Attachment 59951

Street-level view: Attachment 59952

Zoom / street-level: Attachment 59953
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 16th, 2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling

The man is a maroon.
    Spirit51 likes this.

I'm sure he'll get a mental evaluation at some point.
    Some form of dementia may well have played a role.
    Whatever the case, he won't be playing around with firearms again.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I'm sure he'll get a mental evaluation at some point.
    Some form of dementia may well have played a role.
    Whatever the case, he won't be playing around with firearms again.
    Just because an older dude does something stupid doesn't mean he suffers from dementia. There are plenty
    of old folks whose ability to act reasonably never matured a bit from the time they were 16.
    He sounds like one. Or, there is more to the story. That the boy's mom went to the house and
    went inside, that he called her to come, makes me think there's a whole lot more to the story.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I think there is some history and these kids have been riding on the "vacant property" for a while. It doesn't excuse his actions but I'll bet he has been trying to catch those kids before with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Wow, the title of this thread is misleading! When I opened I expected to read about an old man being challenged by a four year old kid. Then I read the article and it's all about the kids (6 of em) version of what happened. The old man is a moron, has dementia and OMG, had several more guns in his house! Lock him up and throw away the key!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Here's another news report: Bay Community News

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Community News / Man Holds Children At Gunpoint
    Man Holds Children At Gunpoint

June 14, 2012

*** Clips from the news story ***

[After having been called to come get the children, the mother and friend] approached and Fulcher warned them not to come closer. The women persisted, ordering the children into the vehicle, and the 16 year old drove them away. The women also left and immediately called law enforcement.

The children spoke with deputies and told them that Fulcher had come out of the home ... holding a firearm, when they used his driveway to turn their vehicle around. He had ordered all of them out of the vehicle and onto the ground and, using profanity, asked them if they knew what would happen to them if he used the gun. The oldest child ... pleaded with Fulcher, explaining why he had driven onto the driveway. According to the children, Fulcher singled out the teenager, holding the gun to his head, demanding he lift his head from the ground and look down the barrel of the gun. Fulcher then asked if the teenager knew what would happen if he, Fulcher, pulled the trigger.

Fulcher took the 16 year old into the home and shut the door and told him to call someone to come get the group. At that time, the teenager called his mother and, in order not to further agitate Fulcher, did not explain the situation, but simply told her to come right away to 4036 Deerpoint Lake Drive. Fulcher then took the teenager back out of the home to wait with the rest of the children.
    The crimes occurred on 6/13. The man's being held without bond. He was scheduled for a first appearance on 6/14. One can only hope he'll find himself scheduled regularly, once he meets his new buddies in D Block, wherever he gets imprisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Wow, the title of this thread is misleading!
    Yeah, no kidding. Stood ground against a 4yr old? Nah. It was more like aggravated death threats of six young children by insane sociopath.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think there is some history and these kids have been riding on the "vacant property" for a while. It doesn't excuse his actions but I'll bet he has been trying to catch those kids before with no luck.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Come on. It was a bunch of kids. He would have done better to arm himself with a video camera instead of a weapon. Then involve the LEO or Home Owners Assco. One doesn't confront kids like that with a weapon. The oldest being 16...the youngest 4.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    From story in post 28---"After having been called to come get the children, the mother and friend] approached and Fulcher warned them not to come closer."

So mom went over to that house and brought a friend for support, but didn't 911 it.
    Nothing I've read would justify what was allegedly done, but the story just doesn't exactly pass
    my sniff test. Why did she bring a friend? Expecting trouble? Prior encounters and expecting trouble?
    Was the friend male? Armed? Had they *just an hypothesis* previously goaded this man in some manner?

I'm just throwing stuff out for thought because the story seems to not really make sense by the actions
    of either the old man or the mom who went to rescue the children. Also, maybe I misread one of the accounts,
    but in the second account it sounds like the other kids were left outside while the 16 y.o. was brought inside.
    I don't know all of their ages, but if it happened as alleged, you'd think that any kid 10ish or over would have
    grabbed the others and run to a neighbor's house for help.

I'm sitting hear saying "hhmmmmmm" to myself. There's got to be a lot more.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links