FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old

This is a discussion on FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If he cocked the hammer and pointed the gun at my kid's head, he'd better pray that he stays in jail!!!!...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old

If he cocked the hammer and pointed the gun at my kid's head, he'd better pray that he stays in jail!!!!
    Spirit51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I'm still not getting how all this stuff is getting called SYG (the other famous "SYG" case isn't one either). The best case scenario isn't very "best" - that the teenagers posed a serious threat to damage his prized bermuda grass. He didn't stand his ground to prevent that "threat" - instead, he advanced on the threat, neutralized it, made some Dirty Harry threats after they were harmless on the ground, continued to make threats and then forced one of the obviously unthreatening perpetrators into his house to call mom.

More like criminal endangerment, assault w/deadly weapon, and unlawful imprisonment, among others. Send him away to a room - rubber or concrete makes no nevermind to me.
    Hopyard, rolyat63 and Spirit51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Sorry, but you guys here are all basically just guessing at what actually transpired. The media (always my first suspect in these types of stories) has likely hyped this all out of proportion - similar to what they did with the Trayvon Martin 911 call (where it was edited to make it appear that Zimmerman was a racist).
    If it's dark out and a group of youths come onto my property, I am going to pay close attention. Every single one of us here would also be paying close attention.If the kids were simply "turning around", then WHAT TOOK SO LONG that gave the homeowner time to grab a gun and exit the house? I can "turn around" in someone's driveway and be gone before they ever have a chance to come out the front door. I'm just sayin' - don't jump to conclusions........-

Knowing that the media are the spin masters they are....tell me what would justify this adult to drawn and hold kids at gun point? They messed up his lawn? Not a good reason by any standard. They called him names and flipped him off? Sticks and stones...... Unless they were a actual threat to his life and well being...there was NO reason.

Guy needs to be in either chains or a large net.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Knowing that the media are the spin masters they are....tell me what would justify this adult to drawn and hold kids at gun point? Unless they were a actual threat to his life and well being...there was NO reason.
    Hypothesizing for a moment (taking Chevy's prodding seriously), it's hard to imagine a scenario involving kids from 4-16yrs that could legitimately threaten another, unless one of the older kids outright went after the man. But with many younger kids in the group, it's hard to imagine that any group-think story of placation could pass muster with interviews from the investigators. In such a situation, one of the younger kids likely wouldn't be able to keep the falsehoods straight. And if the elder kid truly had threatened the man, it's likely there'd be a weapon found to support any claim of such by the man against the kid. No such claim has occurred, so far as we've heard. Of course, media and some less-than-respectable types in such investigations can indeed spin things to help push things in the "right" (case closing) direction; so, anything's technically possible. But one would think there would at least be rumblings of some points of legitimacy, if any claim to it could be had by the guy.

CYA = Can You Articulate. So far, at least, the man hasn't articulated any justifiable cause for which kids could be threatened with death and destruction. One would think that someone with legitimate claim to such justification would at least make the claim out loud, in an attempt to get his butt out of the wringer. Until he at least attempts to articulate some claim of justification, then the black hole in his position is going to be how things are taken, particularly when matched to what all kids are telling investigators, what the mother/friend saw, lack of any weapon used by the kids (found or claimed), etc.

In short: no matter how you slice it, the guy's got a lot of explaining to do.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 19th, 2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Spirit51 and msgt/ret like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I'm still not getting how all this stuff is getting called SYG (the other famous "SYG" case isn't one either). The best case scenario isn't very "best" - that the teenagers posed a serious threat to damage his prized bermuda grass. He didn't stand his ground to prevent that "threat" - instead, he advanced on the threat, neutralized it, made some Dirty Harry threats after they were harmless on the ground, continued to make threats and then forced one of the obviously unthreatening perpetrators into his house to call mom.

More like criminal endangerment, assault w/deadly weapon, and unlawful imprisonment, among others. Send him away to a room - rubber or concrete makes no nevermind to me.

hy•per•bo•le [hahy-pur-buh-lee]
    noun, Rhetoric.
    1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
    msgt/ret likes this.

It appears from what is stated in the article that this man is a moron. Unless other facts prove otherwise he is in deep trouble.

Now for the title of this thread.
    FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old
    Anyone else have a problem with this title? Were the facts of the case not enough on their own to prove the intended point? There was a 16 year old in the group also but the title makes it appear the man just drew his weapon on a toddler.

When the other side used tactics such as this to mislead or otherwise confuse readers we call it a hack job. In my opinion if title is used to mislead it is normally because the facts presented in the article are to weak on their own to convey the desired message.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    It appears from what is stated in the article that this man is a moron. Unless other facts prove otherwise he is in deep trouble.

Now for the title of this thread.

Anyone else have a problem with this title? Were the facts of the case not enough on their own to prove the intended point? There was a 16 year old in the group also but the title makes it appear the man just drew his weapon on a toddler.

When the other side used tactics such as this to mislead or otherwise confuse readers we call it a hack job. In my opinion if title is used to mislead it is normally because the facts presented in the article are to weak on their own to convey the desired message.

Michael
    Of course the media are a bunch of attention grabbing horse's buttts. The media is not the problem here...it is this brain dead idiot who did the deed. Do you expect anything less from the media than to color it as bad as they can? Haven't you heard "If it bleeds...it leads". That is the press motto.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links