FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old

This is a discussion on FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man arrested after holding 6 kids at gunpoint | kids, southport, arrested - BCSO - The News Herald BCSO: Man arrested after holding 6 kids ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: FL man stands his ground against a 4 year old

Man arrested after holding 6 kids at gunpoint | kids, southport, arrested - BCSO - The News Herald

BCSO: Man arrested after holding 6 kids at gunpoint
    June 14, 2012 0828 PM
    | Print Story | E-Mail Story
    CHRIS OLWELL / News Herald Writer
    @PCNHchriso

SOUTHPORT — A 67-year-old Southport man was jailed Wednesday after he allegedly held six children at gunpoint when they used his driveway to turn their off-road vehicle around.

Jerry Lee Fulcher was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and six counts each of aggravated assault and false imprisonment, according to the Bay County Sheriff’s Office. He was being held in the Bay County Jail without bond pending a first appearance in court Friday.

According the BCSO incident report:

The six children, who are between the ages of 4 and 16, told investigators they were riding an ATV and turned into Fulcher’s driveway at 4036 Deer Point Road to turn around at about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. They believed the property was vacant, but a man, later identified as Fulcher, came out of the house pointing a handgun at them.

Fulcher ordered the kids to put their hands on their heads, get off the vehicle and lie down on the ground. The 16-year-old driver apologized, but Fulcher cocked the hammer on the revolver and pointed the gun at the driver’s head and told him he’d be the “first to go.” He kept his finger on the trigger.

So based off what I have attempted to find on this guys story...there appears to be no history with this guy and these kids - no prior harassment of him. Seems like he is a loony old guy who just snapped.

I cannot fathom an instance where drawing down on a 4 year old would be justified. This guy is a class 1 jerk and deserves to have the book thrown at him.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 16th, 2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: remove full article per forum violation copy write law.

This guy HAS lost it...time to take away ALL his weapons and get some free 'room and board'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    This guy is a class 1 a-hole and deserves to have the book thrown at him.
    100% agree, this guy's a loon.

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    I cannot fathom an instance where drawing down on a 4 year old would be justified.
    Understand your point but the title of the thread and the story reminds me of what we accuse the MSM of doing, using hype to get viewership. OMO And I guess technically I could, if a 16 yo knuckle actually did something so egregious HE/SHE need killing and they had 4 yo in tow I might fathom it a microsecond or one.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Only excuse I can think of is senility my grandpaw went crazy like that he should still be punished of course but could be the reason.
    "Death Overcomes All"
    "All it takes for Evil to triumph is for Good men to stand by and do nothing"

VIP Member
    6 kids on 1 ATV? He probably thought they were Viet Cong.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

This is the "on steroids" version of an old coot yelling "Get off my lawn!"

And gun ownership gets another black eye... thank you Mr. Fulcher for giving the anti-gun movement fuel for their fire

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post

This is also considered an "ATV", I have no idea what kind of ATV these kids were on, but this one seems like a likely choice

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Or an orderly retreat from Cambodia.
    Hopyard and The Old Anglo like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    You're all gonna hate me, but I have to say it- I found this mildly entertaining because I will be the angry old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn.

...I don't like unparented children.

But, this is way over the top. He should definitely get in more trouble than he can handle and possibly even some pepper-spraying just for good measure. I know if it had been one of my kids, I probably would have beaten him with his own gun at some point.

But that's just me.
    Spade115 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    And gun ownership gets another black eye... thank you Mr. Fulcher for giving the anti-gun movement fuel for their fire
    Exactly my first thoughts. "Fuel for the fire". I can picture someone now,..."are you going to pull your gun on my child if they dare touch your driveway?"

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    {SNIP}

...I don't like unparented children.

{/SNIP}
    It states they were with a 16 year old. At 16 years old, a person is considered responsible enough to legally get behind the wheel of a several ton weapon(SUV), surely they can be responsible enough to watch some children? Isn't 16 years old typically the age where teenagers are babysitting kids to make cash or YOUNGER then 16? Just saying.
    goldshellback and msgt/ret like this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

This guy is really around the bend. I hate to see anyone lose their Constitutional Rights, BUT this guy really doesn't need his guns anymore. He is mentally at a point where he is a danger to others and himself. If he doesn't get prison...he needs some intensive mental work and supervision. He should have just done what this guy did.
    Attached Images
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    One part of the story seems weird. He had the kids call the mom, and the mom went into the house of what I suppose
    was a stranger to her. Maybe they couldn't tell her the story on the phone, but if my kids said he was being
    held at someone's home and not allowed to leave, unless I came to get them, I think I'd call 911.

I wonder what mom was thinking when she saw him with the gun in his hand. Had he trapped her? What was he
    going to do next? Sounds like a totally horrendous happening, which ads up to about 6 counts of assault with a
    deadly weapon, and that should take care of him until he is ready for the undertaker.
    oneshot, DaveH and msgt/ret like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    It states they were with a 16 year old. At 16 years old, a person is considered responsible enough to legally get behind the wheel of a several ton weapon(SUV), surely they can be responsible enough to watch some children? Isn't 16 years old typically the age where teenagers are babysitting kids to make cash or YOUNGER then 16? Just saying.
    Big difference between babysitting in a house, and being out in public. Yes, a 16 year old should be responsible enough to 'watch' the kids, but that's not really what I was saying. My comment was about the way most parents these days let their kids run wild with no repercussions. Last time I was at a grocery store I was nearly run down by a 10 year old pushing a shopping cart like she was running Le Mans. All her mother did was say, in a calm, normal voice that could barely be heard 5 feet away 'stop running' and went back to what she was doing while the kid kept going. And, from what I've seen, that's usually how things go these days. Kids don't get spanked, don't get grounded, don't get snatched back by whatever the parent can reach and made to stand still and quiet when they're misbehaving. -That's what I meant by unparented. Not that the kids in the story didn't have a parent with them, just that most kids I see these days don't have parents keeping them in line.

I'm not defending the guy- what he did was incredibly wrong.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Wow. Turning into a driveway is not a threat, let alone a deadly threat, nor is approaching a property or driving onto an accessible driveway. This idiot deserves every ton of the law that's going to be heaped onto his head. He did it to himself, in this case. Aggravated assault, aggravated battery, and false imprisonment. That's about right.

"Stand Your Ground," eh? IMO, not a bit. It's the in-vogue phrase to use, these days, but it seems to me this is about perceived trespassing and not about attempting to shove the guy off "his ground." Still, apparently this putz believed the concept only applied to him. Anyone should be able to appreciate that everyone else also has the right to be where they are legally justified in being, and that includes temporary use of an accessible driveway for non-threatening (and understandable) purpose of turning one's vehicle around.
    Hopyard, Sig 210 and fastk9dad like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links