HMMM?: microstamping won't work. How about...

This is a discussion on HMMM?: microstamping won't work. How about... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pollen stamping...? Since this technology has made the mainstream media ( Popular Science Magazine ); how long before the silly mayors against gun crime pick ...

Thread: HMMM?: microstamping won't work. How about...

Pollen stamping...?

Since this technology has made the mainstream media (Popular Science Magazine); how long before the silly mayors against gun crime pick up on this????

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

What about people with allergies...I can tell them were to stick the pollen.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Wonder how many tax dollars was waisted on this venture?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    so you ( or someone) is involved in a rightious shoot and the BG survives the GS but has a weird reaction to the pollen and is ruined for life or dies.

who gets sued now--

the shooter or the pollen people?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My first thought was that his reminded me of a forensics show from back in the 70's called Quincy, ME. Don't ask me how I remember this as I would somewhere around 6-7 years old at the time, but they were always checking peoples hands for residue to try to determine who fired the gun. My next thought was echoed in the comments of the article: "good old rubber gloves". Another comment was equally appropriate, "one again gun control laws only apply to the law abiding as the criminals will ignore them.".

I read this earlier this morning and cringed. This STILL won't prove who did it. What if I handled a bullet, and put it back in the box? Now step one of the two-step process to "prove" who fired the bullet shows that I did. Now, the pollen in the barrel will show which gun fired it, but what if I live in an area that has high amounts of that particular plant pollen??

Also, wouldn't chambering a round cause there to be some pollen residue in your barrel??
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

There is this new invention...it's called rubber gloves. These hairbrained schemes will never work. If microstamping is enacted there are hundred of millions of guns without. It only can track back to the person it was sold to and all someone has to do is use a revolver or change the firing pin. The part that worries me more is someone taking used cartridges from the range and using them. They could easily reload a micro stamped cartridge and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    There is this new invention...it's called rubber gloves. These hairbrained schemes will never work. If microstamping is enacted there are hundred of millions of guns without. It only can track back to the person it was sold to and all someone has to do is use a revolver or change the firing pin. The part that worries me more is someone taking used cartridges from the range and using them. They could easily reload a micro stamped cartridge and use that.
    The reloading bit... well, that goes a bit too far for the average street thug, IMO.... Rubber gloves? sure... buy a box of a hundred at Harbor Freight for a few bux.

In the case of microstamping: Filing down the pin? There'll be you tube videos on how to DIY. A little acid should take care of the chamber stamping... prolly. And you tube vids on how to do that, too.

Criminals will do what it takes to commit crime... They use cars, stolen or not. They use guns, stolen or not, They use knives, stolen or not... They'll use rocks if they have to...

The pollen indicates who loaded the weapon... Was it loaded when it was stolen? Too much plausible deniability...

The best way to stop gun crime is for LE and the armed citizen to stop these thugs, permanently.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    We should do like in Judge Dread where the gun takes a DNA sample with every shot fired and imbeds it in the bullet...

These guys are really stretching. To me, the last sentence in the article makes the rest of it, and all of the research pointless.

"If put into practice, it could give a forensics team a leg up on criminals, although the big retort might be: 'I may have loaded it, but I didn't fire.' "
    Walk softly ...

Links