Bad: With friends like this....

This is a discussion on Bad: With friends like this.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Uh no threats? What does he consider someone coming in and point a gun at them? And I agree with oakchas, at least keep the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bad: With friends like this....

Uh no threats? What does he consider someone coming in and point a gun at them? And I agree with oakchas, at least keep the doors locked even though they aren't a repel-all. Advantage, big dogs that eat intruders.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor man View Post
    At least a breaking door creates noise and gives you a chance to arm yourself.

That's kinda the long and short of it. I mean, even if your door was completely impenetrable, your windows probably aren't. But they make noise when they come down. Just as a locked door does.

A locked door isn't armor. It's an early warning device.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Snarkiness aside, the point is locking a door neither creates nor stops a criminal.

I have to park in the driveway and always leave my car unlocked with nothing valuable in it. If I lock the door one day I'll find a window smashed and nothing taken (since there was nothing to take).
    Yikes.

Sounds like it's time to move...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    My front door is locked all of the time. I'm carrying most of the time, even at home.... I live in the country. Most people who live in these parts come to the back door... or the garage door. If they're coming through the front door... they weren't invited.

No, most of us don't have to lock our doors all the time.... But, there are rural home invasions with assault and rape occurring in those crimes as well...

There are those who have had house fires that started with a grease fire in the kitchen.... Some of those people wish they had a fire extinguisher... or at least knew that they could use baking soda to put it out...

Your odds of dying in a firearm assault are lifetime 1 in 314.... about the same as a reportable house fire... I carry a gun to give myself a fighting chance in the first place.... And, because I've had the total loss house fire, I have 2 fire extinguishers now.

Preparedness does not equal paranoia.

^^^^^^^I live out in the boondocks as well, but we still lock our doors@ night..

I have 3 fire extinguishers,..............
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

This just reeks of "I knew these guys were criminals when I befriended them, so what should I have expected."

I have known quite a few criminal types through the years, and a consistent pattern is that they are bottom feeders who will prey upon friends, family, or anyone else. Who they prey on just depends on either how desperate they are, or how low they have sunk. That is just the nature of the beast that you invited into your life.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I live in a good neighborhood. That doesn't matter one bit. This type of crime can happen here or anywhere, right now! We keep our doors locked at all times. I know that a BG can eventually get in either the door or window. But I will hear that, either by waking me up or setting off alarm. That early warning could give me enough time to make a move. I also have fire alarms, fire extinguishers, baking soda, knives, water, squirt guns, and several pistols, and 2 Mossberg 500's...Hope to never have to use any of it, just like my seatbelt and car insurance...and I'm carrying right now while typing this...be prepared.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

This guy may also be one of those people who have an overly broad definition of friendship. The comment about "helping" people is a tell. Though it doesn't say it's entirely likely that the suspects show up at his church on a regular basis or something similar.

mkh
    You should always be armed

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Layered security. Time & noise is your friend. The more of either or both, the better for you. Yes, most any door or window can be kicked in by those determined to do so, but doing so will wake me up, wake my dog up, give me time to get on my feet with flashlight & gun in hand & get strategically positioned.

This is FAR better than a silent entry through an open door, only to find Mr. BG standing over you at your bedside, with your gun in his hands that you left on or in your nightstand, being the first place he'd check.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

VIP Member
    I have never understood leaving the door unlocked, even if it won't stop a home invasion, it's still more secure than leaving it unlocked!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I have never understood leaving the door unlocked, even if it won't stop a home invasion, it's still more secure than leaving it unlocked!
    Have you ever had children? If so, did you lock them and their friends outside?

Our doors are always locked.. they have keypad locksets with 8 digit codes and they auto-lock 30 seconds after entry. Doors and frames are steel, windows have 12mil security film, pressure switches in the porch decking "announce" visitors. No friends have door codes, family with unexpected need for access are given single-use codes over the phone or via BBM text. The GF and I have verbal "safe" and "duress" codes and we both carry.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    We leave our door unlocked most of the time we are home and awake. Most people in our neighborhood do the same. Been married 30 years with no incident of someone walking in unwelcome. Maybe I need a clue... are you saying everyone should keep their doors locked?
    Uh yea. Been cooking for 50+ years with no fire but I still keep a fire extinguisher close by.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Locking your door won't stop anybody, just sayin.
    You are right but as others have said, it will hopefully slow them down and cause alarm.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    Got it. I was trying to figure out if it was a ten code from a LEO for a gangbanger or some other lowlife.
    10 yo......... gotta love it!
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Doors locked 24/7???

I live in a neighborhood with kids that run to and fro. I have a dog that needs to pee and poop frequently. I smoke ribs on Saturday and grill burgers on Sunday.

Yeah, I do try to keep the doors locked...but some days I just want to sit on my deck and snooze in the shade to the sound of kids playing...I gotta live out my life like it should be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links