About my daughter and her CCW coworkers

This is a discussion on About my daughter and her CCW coworkers within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Until recently, my daughter worked at "The Landing" in Jax in a bar. She quit after she came upon some "ladies of the evening" sitting ...

Thread: About my daughter and her CCW coworkers

About my daughter and her CCW coworkers

Until recently, my daughter worked at "The Landing" in Jax in a bar. She quit after she came upon some "ladies of the evening" sitting on her car. And yeah, even though it was after 2:00 AM, she took her car to a car wash....I'd have run it through twice, myself!

Parking was "catch as catch can" and every evening 4+ of the employees would head out together. Two of them, both female, took their guns out and stuck 'em SoB. My daughter put her stun gun on her waistband and kept her CS in her hand.

The group would go to the first person's car...whoever was closest...and then the whole group would "carpool" to each car and make sure each person made it into their car.

The last night was the night with the LoEs. After that, she never went back to work there.

Yeah, safe downtown......

And of course I didn't find this out until afterwards. We'll be finishing up her CCW process shortly (she's had the class...just the prints & such to go) and finding her the right weapon.

Fortunately, she has a new job at a Sneakers in town. Safer area. Good tips. And parking in the lot instead of blocks away....
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

2. Remove Ads

Gainesville Here...

I have only been in Jax a few times...not the safest place in the state...but better than Miami! If one reads the news or watches the Jax T.V. news station...lots of people get robbed and shot there...not a nice place.
    I love Florida, and espically the rural area outside of Gainesville!

Stay safe...and get her that permit quickly!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I posted here because of their success in keeping prepared, being in a group and confronting potential problems with the LoEs.

As for getting her the permit, I am! Now I just have to get her fingerprinted, passport photo'd, and to send in the app.

And of course, time to select the right gun for her. Maybe .380 KelTec.

(My son is getting himself an XD45 and then I'll help him with the permit process ($$-wise))

The high number of murders and crimes in Jax are predominently in the "Gangsta" areas. I would think that other than those that Jax is just as safe as anywhere else. Translation: nowhere is safe.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by profshadow View Post
    I'd still have to go with the Bersa Thunder .380. It has a lot more grip than the KelTec without being too big for even a small woman's hands. That makes for much better control and comfort when shooting.

Take her along, though. You might get lucky and find a Makarov that she likes even more.

now i would say that a lot like the kel-tec.....but can be kinda small and maybe not easy to shoot. +1 on the bersa

Yeah, I can tell you from experience that Jax is a dangerous place - I had a "problem" there myself a few years ago.

My EX-GF and I went to "The Landing" once... Is "The Landing" at the end of a long peer? Anyhow, I wasnt impressed with any of the nightlife in JAX. Honestly, I never much liked Jacksonville altogether. It feels like N.Y.C. w/h palm trees.

Maybe .380 KelTec.
    One of thoughs Crack,meth,dust,ect fiends wouldnt even notice being hit with a lil .380. Try a high-cap 9mm, .40, or .45. Your daughters life is worth more than "good enough".

My EX wasnt thrilled that I carried, but living in the Arlington area she allwayes wanted me to go to the store with her.
    I even had an "experience" while pumping gas.

Good points. Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post

One of thoughs Crack,meth,dust,ect fiends wouldnt even notice being hit with a lil .380. Try a high-cap 9mm, .40, or .45. Your daughters life is worth more than "good enough".

Although i love larger calibers, no amount of crack, meth, or heroine, can keep blood flowing to your brain when a well placed bullet severs an artery or damages the heart.

I guess the key words here are "well placed bullet" :)

But then you still need to make a good hit with a 9mm, .40, or .45.

Been to Jax many of time when growing up in Florida (lived in McAlpin Florida, between Live Oak and Branford) to visit my grandparents.

I've heard that it's gotten worse since I've been there :( .

Wayne

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Glad your daughter is of the mindset that her protection is her own responsibility. (And good on her friends for doing what they do!)

Why not train her to handle the marginally greater recoil of a 9mm, and get her a pocket 9 like a Kahr PM9, or a GLOCK 26? She'd be better off than with some blowback (read: punishing) .380, would she not?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Consider the CW9.

Quote Originally Posted by profshadow View Post
    A Kel-Tec 380 is not fun to shoot, period. She needs a handgun that she will practice with once a month or so. She is unlikely to do that with the Kel-Tec 380 - it just plain hurts to shoot it.

The dealership where I bought my Glock is also a shooting range, the guy that runs it is a retired SWAT training officer. He has had so many range customers that have malfunctions with Bursa's that he won't sell them or take them in trade. I was at the range last week with my PPK/S next to a guy with a Bursa who averaged 2 or 3 malfunctions per magazine. There are folks that have and love Bursa's, but the guy I saw was about to throw his away.

If you are going to go with a 380, I'd suggest either a Walther PPK/S or Sig P232. Both are very high quality extremely reliable handguns. They are both better to shoot than the Kel-Tec 380, and more reliable.

However, I'd also recommend you look at the Kahr CW9. It is slim, easy to use, and designed from the beginning to be a CCW piece. I've put a couple of hundred rounds through one and while it isn't as pleasant to shoot as my G19, or P239 in 9mmP, it is pleasant enough that folks that have them practice with them which is very important. I can group the same size with it at 25' as I can with the G19.

I've been at the range and over time have met three women who carry the CW9. All three like it enough to practiced with it once a month or so, and all three could quite frankly shoot it quite well. They were grouping around 3" at twenty five feet with WWB which is plenty good enough.

For a SD round, the COR-BON +P JHP is hard to beat and works fine in a CW9.

My daughter (30) is going to get her permit - after doing some research, and trying a few pistols, the CW9 is what she thinks she will get. She likes shooting it a lot better than my PPK/S even though it shoots a full 9mm cartridge in stead of the 9x17 that the PPK shoots. She has no problem with the size of it since she plans to carry in a purse made for the purpose (an advantage women have for CCW is their purse). She really likes the SIG P239 in 9mmP but that is more than her budget will stand. I think it is important that she does this on her own for a lot of reasons.

Fitch

Thanks,

I'll check out the CW9

Links