What?? Target shooting blamed for Utah Wildfires

This is a discussion on What?? Target shooting blamed for Utah Wildfires within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by DMan Nineteen wildfires in Utah have been sparked this year by target shooting as dry and windy conditions make such ignitions more ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What?? Target shooting blamed for Utah Wildfires

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Nineteen wildfires in Utah have been sparked this year by target shooting as dry and windy conditions make such ignitions more likely, authorities said. Authorities counted 24 wildfires sparked by guns last year, and 20 the year before. Three months remain in the dry season.

Story is HERE
    No way,George W did it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

2. Remove Ads

No surprise. Isn't pretty much everything bad that happens anywhere in the world caused by people with guns?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The Springer Fire in Teller County CO may have been caused by shooters shooting at propane bottles or tanks. Hows that for stupid?
    Uh, I must confess. I did that several times when I was a few years younger. To my disgust,
    nothing happened. I got frozen cold bottles for my trouble. No flame, no boom.
    Very disappointing.

I don't know about the "stupid" aspect. In those days it was called
    "an experiment."
    gasmitty likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

when I was a few years younger
    We all have some "matters" in the closet I presume..............

The story was enhanced this morning over coffee - the suspect likes to build binary explosives too, and blow stuff up, and it is unknown if it was a propane tank (say, 25 pounds) or one of those teeny lightweight 1 pounders. The FBI, CGI and two County Sheriff Depts and the CO HP are all on the case.

Edited to Add: Probably BATFE too

I live in the woods. I have a shooting range behind my house. I'm SO glad I found out how dangerous my shooting has been.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Here's a thought. If you want to target shoot where it could be dry....use plastic bottles filled with colored water....or watermelons. I have seen both used on TV programs. Watermelons look awesome when shot up. Using a burm (I think that is what a mound of dirt is called) behind your targets might help too.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

At least one of the fires which was started by shooters was called in by the shooters (from another site). I can see it in an extremely dry area, hot brass/steel, lots of dry tinder, and a gentle breeze to get things going. Of course, what started the other 460 fires this year? That's only 4% of the fires (if that many); just like so many more kids die from bicycles and drowning, but it's the guns that need to go. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    No surprise. Isn't pretty much everything bad that happens anywhere in the world caused by people with guns?
    Like smoking causes just about ever disease/ailment???

And remember when they used to be called forest fires.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    I live in the woods. I have a shooting range behind my house. I'm SO glad I found out how dangerous my shooting has been.
    hope you don't burn down your house

Hoo Boy!

In the last 24 hours, I've been interviewed by two news agencies about this.
    I have never heard of a wildfire being started by a spark from a bullet hitting:

1) a rock
    2) a steel target
    3) someone's imagination

Presumably "something" like this might be possible, but it would be rare. To suggest that 20 such fires have erupted in Utah recently seems preposterous and an attempt to demonize recreational outdoor shooting on public land.

Now, if there are fools running around shooting tracer rounds into propane cans, that's another matter altogether. That just "might" set off a blaze.

But that's just me talking.

I heard on KSL radio this morning that some do-gooder politician is gonna draft something to ban target shooting. It all sounds good in the heat of the moment, but it's an overreaction.

They always say that it's just a 'temporary ' thing, you know for the 'safety' of our citizens, etc.

I'm not buying it

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The real goal is to revoke laws that allow for carry to be suspended during "emergencies". The antis always look for a way to get their agenda through.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links