Armed passerby saved woman from brutal attack

This is a discussion on Armed passerby saved woman from brutal attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bravo Zulu ! Armed passerby saved woman from brutal attack near downtown Athens | Online Athens This is a great story but I'm also intrested ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Armed passerby saved woman from brutal attack

Armed passerby saved woman from brutal attack

Bravo Zulu !

Armed passerby saved woman from brutal attack near downtown Athens | Online Athens

This is a great story but I'm also intrested in our thoughts and comments on this. Many of us are of the "be a good witness" line of thought...... I've said that myself..... but this is a case (a successful one, but it could've gone the 'other' way too) where an armed citizen was able to, and did, come to the rescue of a 'third party' (not his family, home, or himself).

What say you?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

I say it was a shame her gun was in the car. She really could have used it when she came upon him breaking into her car.

I don't leave my gun in the car. If I am not welcome with my weapon...I don't go (unless it is the courthouse or other government building...then I leave it home). What would I have done? Not sure. That is as honest about it as I can be. I would have been quick to use my phone to call 911. I wonder what that guy would have done if he knew the felon was armed.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Nine, count'em nine prison terms!?! And this punk is on the street attacking women? But as for your question, I'm not going to watch a man beat down a woman. I may not draw or shoot, but he is d sure in for a fight if that is what he wants. HooRay for Mr. Terry
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

sgb
    Most people survive such incidents through pure dumb luck, not skill. While I salute his courage I shiver at his recklessness. So many errors in judgement by both the good Samaritan and the victim.
    Spirit51, RichB70 and archer51 like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Not always an easy answer. It depends on the visual. For example, if this had looked like a pimp/ho affair, I would not have stopped.

I think many of us really mean we're just not going to risk getting jammed up getting involved over just anybody.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

The beginning of that story sounds very similar to what I recently witnessed. I agree with the "being a good witness" take. Especially if you haven't seen it from the start. I imagine that the punch to the woman was what threw the GG here into action and is probably when he decided that she really does need help due to the threat of physical injury. In my recent situation in front of the store, although I was ready to help the lady all the way up to defending with deadly force, I stayed in good witness mode until I felt the need.
    RichB70 and sgb like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

To be honest, I would like to say I would do the moral thing and help, but...

In this day and age, you had better be darn certain you are seeing what "you think you might be seeing". Being a Good Samaritan these days can easily lead you to prison and/or financial ruin.

My sole responsibility is to myself and family, and that's one reason I have a HCP.

Another thing I keep in mind is, getting personally involved in any third party crime / incident could escalate it. Something worse could happen because of your intervention that may not have happened had you minded your own business. And the local DA will certainly be looking at that.

I would most certainly be the proverbial "good witness" and call 911. But for the best interest of myself and family, I best not dawn my cape and crime fighting mask and get directly involved.

Even at that, most likely you'll be spending many hours out of your life at your own expense driving to police stations and the court house, giving statements and testimony. Personal experience.
    Brad426, goldshellback and sgb like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

My first thought is I absolutely would do what Terry did, but the truth is I'm not so sure. Knowing what I know after reading the story I couldn't live with myself if I didn't help. Just stumbling on the scene and not knowing what was happening and who the actors are is a different story. Tougher call than I initially thought, frankly.
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    To be honest, I would like to say I would do the moral thing and help, but...

In this day and age, you had better be darn certain you are seeing what "you think you might be seeing". Being a Good Samaritan these days can easily lead you to prison and/or financial ruin.

My sole responsibility is to myself and family, and that's one reason I have a HCP.

Another thing I keep in mind is, getting personally involved in any third party crime / incident could escalate it. Something worse could happen because of your intervention that may not have happened had you minded your own business. And the local DA will certainly be looking at that.

I would most certainly be the proverbial "good witness" and call 911. But for the best interest of myself and family, I best not dawn my cape and crime fighting mask and get directly involved.

Even at that, most likely you'll be spending many hours out of your life at your own expense driving to police stations and the court house, giving statements and testimony. Personal experience.
    Way to better say what I was trying to say right before I posted it...

VIP Member
    All's well that ends well, but you have to base your actions on the chance anyone you encounter is armed and has accomplices nearby. I would have come to her aid by using my vehicle to close distance and as cover.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Good on Terry for what he did. This sentence, though, caught my attention -

The man who Terry confronted is 57-year-old Samuel Tyrone Evans, a career criminal who served nine terms in state prisons, beginning in 1972. He most recently got out of jail on June 12 for a drug-related arrest.
    Talk about a screwed up system...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Bravo Zulu !

Armed passerby saved woman from brutal attack near downtown Athens | Online Athens

This is a great story but I'm also intrested in our thoughts and comments on this. Many of us are of the "be a good witness" line of thought...... I've said that myself..... but this is a case (a successful one, but it could've gone the 'other' way too) where an armed citizen was able to, and did, come to the rescue of a 'third party' (not his family, home, or himself).

What say you?
    At the end of the day I think it's this: instinct at the moment. Something obviously pushed this man into an act of protection of another - maybe it was the look on the victim's face, maybe just a sensation in him that said to this situation he was witnessing "NO!" - and then it happens, the gun is in your hands, or you've retreated and there's a cell phone in your hand. I'm 99% sure, no matter what my opinions are about the topic, I simply could not stand to see someone getting kicked to death or stabbed, anything - I just couldn't. I've been in a similar situation before I was armed - and tried to stop something and the guy came at me, an alert 911 operator, on the line and hearing what was transpiring and some FAST cops converging - saved my skinny behind. I just recall what I'm saying, instinct took over and went "that way".
    Last edited by walleye; June 23rd, 2012 at 08:50 PM.

Outrageous! There should be a law against career criminals carrying firearms.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I'm wondering...she walked up and caught him rummaging through her car. Her firearm is/was in the vehicle. Why in the world did she confront him?! I would have hauled it the other way to a phone if I didn't have one in my purse and even if I did I would have still put some distance between us and called the police. What was she thinking she could do?! She unarmed and likely not as strong as the man. Why put herself in that situation, no matter how outraged she is someone is in her vehicle?

I rarely leave my gun in the car. I say rarely, because if I have 3 hours worth of errands to run and there's only one place on the list I can't take it in, then I don't want to leave it at home. In the little car I lock it in the glovebox, in the van I keep a lockbox cabled to my seat frame but I want it for the rest of my day. If I'm just going somewhere I can't bring it, then yeah I leave it home.

The woman is fortunate the passerby intervened. He too is lucky it went the way it did. On the one hand good for him for helping her, but I agree instinct at the moment is the biggest factor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    All's well that ends well, but you have to base your actions on the chance anyone you encounter is armed and has accomplices nearby. I would have come to her aid by using my vehicle to close distance and as cover.

^^^^^^^Very good thinking here^^^^^^^^^^

All I can add is this;

Divine Intervention.

As evidenced from the following statement from the article;

Terry makes daily trips to the post office, normally driving from his business on Newton Bridge Road and remaining on it until it becomes Barber Street and dead-ends on Prince Avenue.

For some reason, on Thursday morning he decided to make a left onto Cleveland Avenue, then take College Avenue to get downtown, leading him past the scene of the violent struggle.

“I think this was a case of God putting people in someone else’s life
    ,” Terry said. “When I saw what that man was doing to that lady I was really concerned for her, and I don’t think I did anything that anyone else would have done under the same circumstances.
    HotGuns, Brass63 and BurgerBoy like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links