Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier

This is a discussion on Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I didn't start recording my supervisor until there were repeated problems with harassment. Was he baiting the police, or protecting himself? - either way, it ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier

I didn't start recording my supervisor until there were repeated problems with harassment.

Was he baiting the police, or protecting himself? - either way, it wasn't illegal and arresting him for it sounds like harassment. He passed the background checks for a carry permit. This isn't the first time we've seen someone attacked b/c LEO didn't like citizens carrying.

This is why I have a non-res permit - not tied to my DL.
    mcgyver210 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Sounds like from the story, the cops could be in the wrong here but I won't necessarily judge them until all the facts do come out. But this story is a good reminder why I will not volunteer my carry status to a LEO unless I am required by law to do so. I am not going to open myself unwarranted abuse by some officer on a power trip who thinks you are trampling on his authority by carrying a gun. Now I know there are few officers out there like this, but they are out there.
    Last edited by RightyLefty; June 25th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    At face value this is bad.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    He didn't have the gun 'concealed' very well if they saw it from a distance. The police don't use x-ray vision. Concealed means concealed not bulging out of your waist band of your pants. However, the police shouldn't have given him that lump on his head provided his story is true.
    It does not need to be concealed where he lives.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boutaswell View Post
    On the face of the news report, I would say that King should be owning the city pretty soon and the retirement funds of the 5 cops involved. If I were in his shoes, I would be going for "hate crime" status also. The thing that does bother me is he was leaving a nightclub...is that legal where he is? Still doesn't give reason for what happened but was there something in his mannerisms that triggered the response. Guess we'll have to wait to see the film.

Whole lot here unknown.
    I was unaware that a person's retirement funds could be attached via a lawsuit. I thought federal law prohibited that. Guess I am behind the times...
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Stay tuned, this could get weird....
    ericb327 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    You can. Law is that you can't carry impaired, so you can't be 0.04% BAC or above. Bars and nightclubs are not banned per se but they can post, but if you carry despite the post and you are asked to leave AND you don't, it's a petty misdemeanor trespass fine only.

So, he was well within his rights and said he did the right things. Too many big city cops think they are the only ones who SHOULD have guns, so anyone else is assumed to be a bad guy. Like it was said, they'll learn if it costs them enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is the mentality of a lot of officers in Detroit.
    Sad they deal with the thuggery all day everyday, and they somehow have it ingrained in their head that if someone has a firearm they must be thug.

If he was within the scope of the law, and it went down like he said, W/O him swinging or resisting, then he deserve a paycheck.
    Hopyard and sgb like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    As said, no need to conceal in Minnesota.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    He passed the background checks for a carry permit.
    I think that this is what says the most about his character, not his pit bulls actions.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

P95
    The "nightclub" is what is working against this fellow. I know here in KY you cannot carry into any establishment that sells alcohol for the intention of consumption of that alcohol on the premises....bars...nightclubs. With that said....I do think the police abused their power....and his rights were violated.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I still have a really hard time seeing someone walking out of a building, even a nightclub, getting attacked by a bunch of cops just because of a bulge at their waist that could be ANYTHING. Something else, that was excluded from the report was happened to set this off. The reporting is obviously biased, why else would it throw the line about the pit bull, which seems out of place, into the middle of a gun story?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    On face value, I see things a little different;

A) he has had trouble in the past for recording the police. Baiting? Looking for a payday?
    B) has been charged and acquitted of manslaughter because his pit bull decided to eat his 7 year old son. OK.. so he was acquitted... but it still says something about his character.
    C) Despite what the media and pop culture would have you believe, the police just dont go around beating people willy nilly. Yes, some tactics can be quick and at times "brutal" but you don't go poking bears with sticks either.
    I somewhat agree, except I sure would like to know what he did to provoke a beating. Unless they were the
    arresting officers in the pit-bull thing they wouldn't know about that. And if they beat him for revenge because
    they were previously video recorded, that too speaks pretty badly of their legitimacy as LEOs instead of as thugs.

Nonetheless, something is not right about the guy IMO, as yours, and we don't really know the
    full story.
    oneshot likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    He didn't have the gun 'concealed' very well if they saw it from a distance. The police don't use x-ray vision. Concealed means concealed not bulging out of your waist band of your pants. However, the police shouldn't have given him that lump on his head provided his story is true.
    MN allows OC with a permit.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

And to think that I WAS considering in moving back to St.Paul in a year or two.

Will wait for the smoke to clear....got friends keeping an eye on this situation for me.

sgb
    The truth of such events is from my experience usually in the middle. Even with that being so it outwardly appears that the Police overstepped, something if memory serves me this Police department has had problems with in the past concerning lawfully carried firearms.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links