Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier

This is a discussion on Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO On face value, I see things a little different; A) he has had trouble in the past for recording the police. ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    On face value, I see things a little different;

A) he has had trouble in the past for recording the police. Baiting? Looking for a payday?
    B) has been charged and acquitted of manslaughter because his pit bull decided to eat his 7 year old son. OK.. so he was acquitted... but it still says something about his character.
    C) Despite what the media and pop culture would have you believe, the police just dont go around beating people willy nilly. Yes, some tactics can be quick and at times "brutal" but you don't go poking bears with sticks either.
    Ya know Sixto, I didn't want to say anything about your post because 1. You are a mod, 2. you are a cop, 3. this forum is VERY star struck with mods, 4. this forum is VERY pro cop.

Are you saying that cops are bears? You are a cop, not a god. You should be held to the same standard as everyone else, or a higher one, as tax payers pay you.

Is it wrong to record a cop? No, it's public money, on public land, if a cop is doing nothing wrong, why does it matter?

The whole mentality of cops disturbs me, the mentality of, do XXX to a cop, what did you expect, disturbs me more.

If those cops where wrong, then they where being pigs. If that man was in the wrong, then they are being cops.

Cops even defended officer Harless when that tidbit dropped.

My Uncle is a state trooper in Mississippi, love the guy, he is nothing like most of the posts I see from the LEO on this forum. He has killed in the line of duty, he has been shot, he has busted drug dealers, he has testified in court.

Each time something like this pops up, he says the same thing: Why would they do that to that man, he wasn't doing anything wrong.

Maybe he is the exception, maybe he is naive, or maybe he agrees that cops are not above the law, and need to be held accountable.
    Yankeejib, ericb327, jbum and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    If they had cause to beat him, I'm wondering why no charges were filed. If people were not filming cops we might have more a lot more incidents like this. The use of dash cams and cell phone video has done a lot in my opinion to stop some of these unlawful stops, searches, detainment and beat downs.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

There's plenty of good cops, there's always going to be bad cops. I've been lucky so far I guess. I had to hitchhike this weekend to reconnect my gear and my vehicle after a week long canoe trip. I was thumbing at 7am in Goldsboro, NC when the local PD pulled up behind me and lit me up. City ordinance prohibits hitchhiking. I notified him/her per NC law (sorry, I never could figure out it's gender, and didn't ask..."sir"? "ma'am"?...I stuck with "Officer"). I got hands on the car/pat down/disarmed. He/she ran my cards and my piece, about 10 minutes, and then I was set loose ("Don't reload here on the road, ya hear me?"). All good. I just reloaded in the ditch. It's all in your demeanor and how you talk to the person in charge.

A couple of funny things:

When he/she was removing my piece from my holster, I said,
    "Be careful, there's one in the pipe."
    "I wouldn't expect it any other way, would you?"....then I knew I was OK.

"Do you have any other weapons on you, knives, chemicals, stun guns?"
    "I have a rifle in my back pack." (My KT Sub2000)
    "You have a rifle in your backpack?"
    "Yeah, it's broken down"
    It ended up on the hood as well.

When we were done...
    "Now don't let me find you down the road here hitching."
    "Can you give me a ride out of town?"
    "No. Why would I do that?"
    "I dunno...something about 'to serve and protect'?"
    "Nice try"

So I took a cab. My next hitch was three Mexican bangers who were probably picking me up to roll me. But I start telling them this whole story Alice's-Restaraunt-style in Spanish and so they were laughing, and took me 20 miles out of their way all the way to my truck (which was parked at the PD.....LOL)

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    My Uncle is a state trooper in Mississippi, love the guy, he is nothing like most of the posts I see from the LEO on this forum. He has killed in the line of duty, he has been shot, he has busted drug dealers, he has testified in court.

Each time something like this pops up, he says the same thing: Why would they do that to that man, he wasn't doing anything wrong.
    This reminds me of all the statements I have invented in my life to support my contention of the moment. Like women I have had sex with that I never did.

I also find it a hoot to see guys run to the defense of somebody who, if this person actually moved into their neighborhood, they would be selling their house and moving out.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    This reminds me of all the statements I have invented in my life to support my contention of the moment. Like women I have had sex with that I never did.

I also find it a hoot to see guys run to the defense of somebody who, if this person actually moved into their neighborhood, they would be selling their house and moving out.
    Cool. Then when I see him in a couple weeks in Biloxi, I will be sure to tell him I made him up. When he spoke at his mother's funeral last year here in Detroit, and I followed his car in the funeral persession, he sure seemed real enoughto me. Maybe I made him up, especially when we discussed arthritis and it's effect on the bench press 2 weeks ago when he was in town for his little brother's 50th birthday. He really enjoyed my homemade hard raspberry cider too, or maybe I made it up to seem more cool.

He is an In-Law by the way, he is stuck with me through marriage, as I love his neice greatly. LOL!!

Some people.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    On face value, I see things a little different;

A) he has had trouble in the past for recording the police. Baiting? Looking for a payday?
    B) has been charged and acquitted of manslaughter because his pit bull decided to eat his 7 year old son. OK.. so he was acquitted... but it still says something about his character.
    C) Despite what the media and pop culture would have you believe, the police just dont go around beating people willy nilly. Yes, some tactics can be quick and at times "brutal" but you don't go poking bears with sticks either.
    Referring to B above.Even though he was acquitted seems law enforcement still thinks he is quilty... no wonder people have a hard time trusting them. By your reasoning I guess since the officers in the Rodney King case were acquitted (which I agree with btw) we should automatically assume that is shows something about all officers character and all officer beat the crap out of people for no reason.

There is a serious lack of detail in that article and it is completely one sided. Too little info to speculate.

Out of curiosity I looked up a couple articles on the pit bull killing his son. Personally, they were enough to make me seriously question this guy's character. Would you keep a dog that was known to be aggressive chained in your cellar with small children in the house?

A dog is not like a firearm. As the dogs owner you are directly responsible for how that dog behaves.
    Hopyard and discoboxer like this.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The truth of such events is from my experience usually in the middle. Even with that being so it outwardly appears that the Police overstepped, something if memory serves me this Police department has had problems with in the past concerning lawfully carried firearms.
    I think a major problem all you LE need to address is eliminating the bad seeds. How many times do good officers turn the other way when one of their own treads illegal territory? How many reports have had unflattering information omitted, or just flat out falsified to protect an offender in blue? These cops are just as guilty as the scumbags they deal with, or worse in their violation of the public trust. We won't recount the numerous examples here because this forum has trouble coping with those kinds of accounts. But, until you all set this straight in your departments, there will always be a crisis of confidence and a public image problem with LE. I've noticed around here that cops seem to have abandoned a uniform in favor of tactical dress. I certainly don't deny them the ability to have every tool and weapon at their disposal and have every benefit at hand, I just wonder what they THEY think their "mission" is. Why do local police need armored track vehicles, attack dogs, and drones to "serve and protect"?
    gigamortis, mcgyver210 and slave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I was unaware that a person's retirement funds could be attached via a lawsuit. I thought federal law prohibited that. Guess I am behind the times...
    Sue them for enough money and it will affect their retirement also is what that means. It's kinda like saying "sue the pants off them", "sue them outta their retirement".......it's kind of on par with saying that King will own the city. He won't really, it's an exaggeration.
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post
    There is a serious lack of detail in that article and it is completely one sided. Too little info to speculate.

Out of curiosity I looked up a couple articles on the pit bull killing his son. Personally, they were enough to make me seriously question this guy's character. Would you keep a dog that was known to be aggressive chained in your cellar with small children in the house?

A dog is not like a firearm. As the dogs owner you are directly responsible for how that dog behaves.
    As the owner of either, you are responsible for harm done by them.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Of course; I did not mean to imply otherwise. However, a gun is an inanimate object. A dog is not, thus the dog or breed is often blamed rather than the owner, who is typically at fault.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If someone broke in my house and stole my dog and let it loose in the neighborhood should I be responsible for anything it does or should he? Same question, but replace dog with firearm?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post

^^In bold, Yep^^

Video is nice to have but sometimes doesn't tell the whole story. I don't like the "cut for effect" type of reporting. And I hope the cops were doing what was necessary. If so, great. If not, well I guess CCers in Minn. ought to educate their LE.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I'm sure there is quite a bit more to this. LEO's...how many times have you been accused of "beating" someone when your actions were anything but? It happens every time a guy is being placed into custody and decides to buck up or twist away. He gets manhandled because he is now an obvious risk. How many times does that guy scream brutality? About 9 out of 10. Gimme a break. This story is so full of holes its insane. Plenty of people think "police brutality" is being placed into handcuffs. How many people that are arrested feel that they are being unfairly arrested? Probably 9 out of 10. This guy has a history of seeking drama, and now so many people on this forum hope he owns the city. On the word of a media story. Way to go guys. I choose to wait for the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    If someone broke in my house and stole my dog and let it loose in the neighborhood should I be responsible for anything it does or should he? Same question, but replace dog with firearm?
    If someone broke into my house and let all of my guns out, according to some, there would definitely be havoc on the streets.
    Eichorn likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links