Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier

This is a discussion on Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The questions that keeps bugging me is: why were five police officers congregated at the very place this ole boy turns up with a gun ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Ugly: Minneapolis Police beat down legal carrier

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    The questions that keeps bugging me is: why were five police officers congregated at the very place this ole boy turns up with a gun in his waistband? Coincidence maybe? And what relevance does the pit bull story have to do with anything that happened that night? A reporter with an agenda to cloud the issue at hand? I don't put any faith at all in anything the media reports anymore.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Here is my reply to all who disagree or have taken my points out of context; We were not there. Not one of us. None of us know the story, we don't even know one side of it. As for my B point... No, it has nothing to do with what the LEO or "victim" should be judged by. We should judge all involved by the information known at the time. We cannot use hind sight to pass judgement... I'll bet my next paycheck that the LEO had no idea who this guy is, his history etc at the time of incident.
    However, it certainly does lend some insight to a persons character as I already pointed out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Another thing that tells about his character is the fact (someone has already pointed out) that he has done nothing in the past to keep him from passing all of the background checks to get his permit. Nor has he done anything yet (current story aside) to lose his permit.

In my opinion, If the system saw him as a criminal then there is no way that it would let him carry a handgun.
    mr.stuart and slave like this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They'll learn. It may cost the city considerably, but eventually they'll figure it out.
    Unfortunately, the city doesn't produce one barrel of oil or one bushel of wheat, they are non productive. By force of law, they generate their budget by ever increasing taxation. Thereby diminishing the ability of the productive citizen to provide for his family.

So in effect, it costs the city nothing. It costs us, you and I, the tax payer, in the form of higher taxes. I don't feel that's fair.

If I were King, I would decree the offenders personally and financially responsible and their superiors.

I'm not trying to be smart or anything but... I don't believe holding society accountable for the wrong doing of individuals is responsible or productive.

Maybe my logic and beliefs are flawed?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

No requirement to conceal in MN. The permit is to carry, open or concealed.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I'm currently in the process of moving from Minneapolis (downtown) back to NC. I can only guess that the reason for MPD to rough up this man is because they are in a lot of pressure from the big brass, city officials and the community, due to the amount of crimes (stabbings/shootings) after bar closing. If the allegations are accurate, MPD will end up paying up, AGAIN, for mistreatment of civilians.
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

If it went down as claimed, that five officers jumped him and beat on him to the point of concussion in spite of informing them at the outset he's got a CHL, then he's got a case.

It's situations like this that make one appreciate the lunacy and danger of statutes that criminalize the recording/taping of situations involving commission of public duty on a public street by public agents/officers. Anyone know whether Michigan criminalizes such actions (recording/taping on the street)? I'd hope the third-party who recorded the video has the sense to make copies.
    slave and BaconHunter like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hope he wins BIG MONEY,,,,, STOP SOME OF THE JUNK,,,,, all police ARE NOT BOY SCOUTS.
    slave and mcgyver210 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They'll learn. It may cost the city considerably, but eventually they'll figure it out.
    No the City & taxpayers will learn the Assailants will get paid vacation.
    Hopyard and slave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here is my reply to all who disagree or have taken my points out of context; We were not there. Not one of us. None of us know the story, we don't even know one side of it. As for my B point... No, it has nothing to do with what the LEO or "victim" should be judged by. We should judge all involved by the information known at the time. We cannot use hind sight to pass judgement... I'll bet my next paycheck that the LEO had no idea who this guy is, his history etc at the time of incident.
    However, it certainly does lend some insight to a persons character as I already pointed out.
    Sorry Sixto, no one took anything you said out of context. You. however, did the typical cop: "There HAS to be more to it" "This guy did this in the past, therefore he's questionable" "You all need to get all the facts before you pass judgement".

You made excuses for the cops, brought up something in the past, and made excuses for cops. You want us to get the full story before we pass judgement, yet you are already protecting the blue line.

You need to foolow your own advice, get the full story before you start vindicating cops. I know it will be a cold day in hell before the average cop actually listens to evidence before they automatically defend cops.

No one has the full story, most of these posters just said IF, they are wrong, THEN, he should get paid.

You are the one that starting passing judgment on that man and questuioning his character by bringing up an incident that is irrelevant to the discussion, and a crime he was acquitted of.

The state found no reason to arrest, charge or detain him, found no reason to deny his permit, he hadn't been kicked out of the club, so the clues lead to him being in the right, on face value.

Leave it to a cop to start smearing him, and defending 5 men who beat down one man, like 5 cowards, just because they are cops.
    mcgyver210, Yankeejib and jbum like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    He didn't have the gun 'concealed' very well if they saw it from a distance. The police don't use x-ray vision. Concealed means concealed not bulging out of your waist band of your pants. However, the police shouldn't have given him that lump on his head provided his story is true.
    If minn is an open carry state like Wis, Then printing shouldn't get you in trouble.
    This is one of those cases where You'd just have to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by CARRY365 View Post
    This is one of those cases where You'd just have to be there.
    This seems to be a general answer when incidents involving possible wrong doing by LEOs happens which is another reason why it should be accepted practice to video all encounters with LEOs. Citizens have no other protection since in most cases everyone wants to believe there had to be a reason why the LEO did that.

Funny how so many LEOs don't want you to be able to do the same thing they do to protect their side. Seems to me if they aren't on the wrong side the more video there is shouldn't matter if it all proves they did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Hope he wins BIG MONEY,,,,, STOP SOME OF THE JUNK,,,,, all police ARE NOT BOY SCOUTS.
    Yes, lets hope he wins as much of the tax payers money as he can! (sarcasm)

Nice to see you were able to make up your mind based on a quick media story. (more sarcasm)

Are we not better than that? (genuine inquiry)

I'm not saying the guy was right or wrong because I only have second- or third-hand news stories to go on. Really, I'm hearing much of the story third hand... both through the reporter and through whoever that person spoke to, aside from the interview, and that's only with the guy who got beaten up. Bias can enter into this at many points in the storytelling process.

I try to always remember; news stories are not the kind of information a jury can rely on to pass judgment... so, probably, neither should I. (notice, I said 'try'... I don't always do that with such objective stoicism!) One possibly subtle, but unreported detail may come out any time to put a whole new perspective on things.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links